Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:13:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Masternodes/POS the future of mining?  (Read 1503 times)
adamantasaurus (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 06:29:12 AM

So I started mining with GPU's bought a few asics and sold everything before the summer began (because last summer it was just not comfortable in my place with all my miners lol). I really love the idea of mining and generating coins there are so many different ways to mine. I recently got interested in masternodes it only costs me $15/mo to run 4 vps servers (vs. $500-$800/mo in electricity with POW mining) SO I know there are a lot of masternode scams and was told before I got into them to be very careful (I ended up only getting burned badly with one coin) every other coin I invested in turned out to be a pretty solid project.

SO I'm curious what does the community think will POS/masternodes phase out the physical POW mining protocol I really think there are a lot more advantages of POS over POW, what do you all think?

Smiley good day
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 07:07:29 AM

Masternodes has become alternative to investment and getting a profit with a way saving some coin in the wallet. I think POW more a profitable unless mining that's a coin as long as POW and saving some coin on wallet until the time of POW is over.

Kryptowolf512

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 07:17:31 AM

There are a lot of scam PoS coins and Masternodes.
They promise you a ROI with 30 days... you can look at www.crypto-coinz.net/ for a lot of masternode coins. But you will see what I mean Wink
You should go for safe projects like Ethereum. Ethereum is not PoS currently but will be in the future, or NEO that produce GAS.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 07:53:54 AM

yes, it must be more careful in choosing a coin, but I see that Masternodes is a new variant that has been reborn in cryptocurrency other than Mining and trades some coins.

DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 08:11:32 AM

Theoretically, POS is a much more efficient way to deal with crypto transactions, the problem is, the technology is far from being useable in the real world. To date, nothing can really beat the transactional security afforded by 10000 GPUs on POW compared to a few thousand CPUs on POS. We will get to the point where POS reigns supreme, but right now we are not there yet.

With regards to masternodes, theres a lot out there and i guess you just have to take a risk in investing on the right ones. I am personally risking a lot on the OPCX masternodes right now.
adamantasaurus (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 07:32:30 AM

Theoretically, POS is a much more efficient way to deal with crypto transactions, the problem is, the technology is far from being useable in the real world. To date, nothing can really beat the transactional security afforded by 10000 GPUs on POW compared to a few thousand CPUs on POS. We will get to the point where POS reigns supreme, but right now we are not there yet.

With regards to masternodes, theres a lot out there and i guess you just have to take a risk in investing on the right ones. I am personally risking a lot on the OPCX masternodes right now.

Yea I invested in about 14 different ones and out of those 14 only 1 turned out to be a straight up scam lost a good deal of money Smiley
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 02:08:10 PM

Yea I invested in about 14 different ones and out of those 14 only 1 turned out to be a straight up scam lost a good deal of money Smiley

How about your Raspberry Pi project? (I still remember your shitty old HP laptop)  Cheesy

I know that your context is more to investment to make a profit (not the mining process itself). On the investment context may you were right, PoS more efficient, less costly, easier than PoW, and so on. (I ignore the risk of scam)

On the technical sides, I agree with DevelopmentBank.

To date, nothing can really beat the transactional security afforded by 10000 GPUs on POW compared to a few thousand CPUs on POS.

in another word, PoW more secure than PoS (at least the bad guys need more effort to make the network down [it was expensive, right?])  Cheesy
CryptoStats
Copper Member

Activity: 98
Merit: 3

:)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 03:50:50 PM

I don't know if it's the future of mining... I invested in few PoS masternodes and they're pretty new projects.

I think PoS masternode bubble ended few months ago. I saw coin developers selling first masternodes in auction (5 BTC) and now coin is abandoned. Masternode price now is 15$.

texgeek

Activity: 515
Merit: 202

in BTC we trust!

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 05:07:11 PM

I loose lot money on MN's...

Today i keep running just one MN (POLIS),

All others scams or fake projects,

Thats problem with MN.

I still buying universa UTN , because they will launch MN on future , and this project to my opinion is solid.

open to virtual work
adamantasaurus (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 10:07:28 PM

How about your Raspberry Pi project? (I still remember your shitty old HP laptop)  Cheesy

I know that your context is more to investment to make a profit (not the mining process itself). On the investment context may you were right, PoS more efficient, less costly, easier than PoW, and so on. (I ignore the risk of scam)

On the technical sides, I agree with DevelopmentBank.

To date, nothing can really beat the transactional security afforded by 10000 GPUs on POW compared to a few thousand CPUs on POS.

in another word, PoW more secure than PoS (at least the bad guys need more effort to make the network down [it was expensive, right?])  Cheesy

Ah I see what your saying because there are more miners than there are masternodes usually so the network is more secure Smiley

Im actually writing to you on my shitty HP laptop right now lol. And I still have not had the time to mess around with the raspeberry pi's I got the learning curve would take a lot of time. But I did order a mini ASUS pc stick to stake on Smiley
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:29:52 PM

Ah I see what your saying because there are more miners than there are masternodes usually so the network is more secure Smiley

Yeah, not just the number of the active client, but also the protocol itself.

Im actually writing to you on my shitty HP laptop right now lol.

I glad to hear that.  Grin

And I still have not had the time to mess around with the raspeberry pi's I got the learning curve would take a lot of time. But I did order a mini ASUS pc stick to stake on Smiley

Sound good.  Wink
I manage servers in a few offices (my clients), and I have full control of those servers. Maybe I should talk about this Proof of Stake with them (I don't want to cheat them). My last PoS coin is Peercoin (it was a long time ago), maybe I'll try it again this time (if they permitCheesy
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:43:15 AM

Ive read a few negative things about PoS (Proof of Stake)

"The Inevitable Failure of Proof-of-Stake Blockchains and Why a New Algorithm is Needed (Op-Ed)"
https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-inevitable-failure-of-proof-of-stake-blockchains-and-why-a-new-algorithm-is-needed

"Proof-of-Stake & the Wrong Engineering Mindset"
https://medium.com/@hugonguyen/proof-of-stake-the-wrong-engineering-mindset-15e641ab65a2

But I do not consider myself an expert, my mind is very open

==

I love Masternodes though! The Monthly Budget is the key feature.
I think we will start seeing more masternode coins rise,
But you still need a way to secure the blockchain,
masternodes just help provide governance, self budget, privatesend and instantsend

john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 04:37:28 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2018, 04:58:31 AM by john1010

I loose lot money on MN's...

Today i keep running just one MN (POLIS),

All others scams or fake projects,

Thats problem with MN.

I still buying universa UTN , because they will launch MN on future , and this project to my opinion is solid.

Your post is a big help for me, I'm on the process of searching an MN base coins, since I'm a miner and we all know that the GPU mining is on the struggling stage now, I am looking for diversity and that is Masternode mining, I am aware now of every project offers MN.. I am watching on this thread..
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 10:44:05 AM

POS is the same thing as if you would put your money in the bank and leave it there for an interest. So it has nothing to do with "mining". FYI
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 01:49:54 PM

POS is the same thing as if you would put your money in the bank and leave it there for an interest. So it has nothing to do with "mining". FYI

Well not really unless you are doing POS with a third party service. Real POS involves having a dedicated computer/server turned on 24/7 to also validate any transactions that are sent your way. So technically, yes, it is still mining, mining transactions at the cost of "staking" your coins in case you try and do anything something malicious.

POS could be the future, but until real coins like ETH implement it, i wouldn't decide anything yet.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Galley

Activity: 1274
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:23:11 PM

I like Masternodes. Not so long ago, I was already thinking about a possible acquisition. However, the main disadvantage of this issue is the inability to be sure of the reliability of the project. After all, to lose a lot of money, I have no desire. Although this topic is very interesting to me.
Mike011

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:35:24 PM

Well not really unless you are doing POS with a third party service. Real POS involves having a dedicated computer/server turned on 24/7 to also validate any transactions that are sent your way. So technically, yes, it is still mining, mining transactions at the cost of "staking" your coins in case you try and do anything something malicious.

POS could be the future, but until real coins like ETH implement it, i wouldn't decide anything yet.

No it is not. Your "mining" is actually supporting the network for free. And just like the bank, your share(interest) depends on the size of your stake. But, unlike the bank, the amount of risk is ridiculous.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 11:04:55 PM

If we're going to talk speculative future I like to look back on history.

Maybe 2013 was the year of bitcoin when it finally got everyone's attention by beating the price of gold per ounce after being introduced in 2009.  The hype was short-lived and spoiled by Mt Gox and probably other scandals.  4 years later bitcoin again took the stage about a year after halving, similar to what we say for 2012/2013 with bitcoin.

2017 was also the year of the ICO and now 2018 is the year of the masternode.  What will 2019 be the year of?  Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves and stick with the history theme here...

So here we are in 2018... I think what we are witnessing are hype cycles around assets that have proven to be durable over the course of time and highly reliant upon the community of developers and users supporting them.  So let's consider bitcoin again.  

2009 was the genesis and it took roughly 4 years for it to be appreciated as a monetary success.  Ethereum's genesis was 2015 and about 2 years later it gained a boon from ICOs.  So Bitcoin took around 4 years for wide-spread-MF'ing panic while Ethereum was about 2 years for the ICO explosion.  Okay, obviously these are apple/oranges comparisons.  Still, there are notable similarities and parallels into Masternode coins.

My point is this:  Masternode coins are viable and do have a good chance to be successful.  How anyone quantifies that success is a matter of various metrics.  Essentially, cryptocurrencies serve the same basic function but come with various features that make them unique.  But at the end of it all... what really matters for the investor, user, developer, etc is that there be some measure of value transferrable from various products/services to the digital blockchain.  This will continue to drive interest in blockchain as it always has and this is why we are all sitting here entertaining such ventures.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Mike011

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 11:31:12 PM

Masternode coins are viable and do have a good chance to be successful.
Based on what?
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 11:41:37 PM

Masternode coins are viable and do have a good chance to be successful.
Based on what?

Dash for starters.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████