Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:16:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrew bitcoin from Virwox to an offline Armory address  (Read 1111 times)
atomsplit (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:20:02 PM

I accidentally sent some bitcoin from my online account with Virwox to my Armory wallet address before bitcoin-qt was synchronized. It was a beginners mistake and I am still waiting for bitcoin-qt to synchronize. I can't add the Armory address (that the bitcoin was sent to) to the receiving address in bitcoin-qt. What can I do to receive the bitcoin I withdrew? All help is greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:26:12 PM

I accidentally sent some bitcoin from my online account with Virwox to my Armory wallet address before bitcoin-qt was synchronized. It was a beginners mistake and I am still waiting for bitcoin-qt to synchronize. I can't add the Armory address (that the bitcoin was sent to) to the receiving address in bitcoin-qt. What can I do to receive the bitcoin I withdrew? All help is greatly appreciated!

Copy the wallet.dat from your armoury folder, and replace the one already it in your bitcoin-qt. Then your Bitcoin-qt will be using the the address of your armoury wallet.  Smiley
atomsplit (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:47:00 PM

Could you walk me through how to do that? I will love you forever.
Kenshin

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:02:53 PM

Could you walk me through how to do that? I will love you forever.

If you are going to love me forever than I better not help you. As I am already married, and my wife might divorce me.  Smiley

Go to your .armory folder

There should be a file called wallet.dat

Copy that file, then go to .bitcoin and replace this wallet.dat with the one you copied from your .armory folder.

Open bitcoin-qt, you are now using the wallet address of your armory wallet.
atomsplit (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:49:44 PM

Should I wait for bitcoin-qt to synchronize before I do this? Should I be worried about time passing as the withdrawal has completed and the bitcoin is basically in limbo?
Kenshin

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:52:51 PM

Should I wait for bitcoin-qt to synchronize before I do this? Should I be worried about time passing as the withdrawal has completed and the bitcoin is basically in limbo?

You don't need to wait for the synchronize to finish, this will not mess anything up. You will see the history of your transaction. And you will see your bitcoin, when you finish sync.
atomsplit (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:35:02 PM

I cannot find the wallet.dat in my armory folder, I do see wallet.dat in bitcoin-qt but not armory.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:42:31 PM

1)  wait for bitcoin-qt to finish

2)  do you have a watching only wallet created?  If not go to your offline armory install and create one.  Copy it over to your online computer.

3)  install armory on your online computer

4)  import the watching only wallet into armory

5)  wait for armory to sync

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 07:14:19 PM

I cannot find the wallet.dat in my armory folder, I do see wallet.dat in bitcoin-qt but not armory.

There is none, they are not interchangeable

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:58:55 PM

Copy the wallet.dat from your armoury folder, and replace the one already it in your bitcoin-qt. Then your Bitcoin-qt will be using the the address of your armoury wallet.  Smiley

No. Why would you give blatantly wrong information?

OP, there is an Armory subforum here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=97.0

If you move your thread there, you will probably get help from those involved with Armory.

The bitcoin is not in "limbo", that is not how Bitcoin works. Every coin is stored in the block chain, your private keys in your wallet allow you to access your coins on the block chain. The most important thing is to save those private keys (in other words, don't start deleting wallet files).

As some others have said, once you let BitcoinQt finish downloading the block chain, you can sync Armory, and then you will be able to see and access your bitcoins.

There are also other methods of pulling the private keys out of your wallet should you be in a hurry to access your coins, but these are more advanced user tasks and you should make sure you know exactly what you are doing before attempting them.

cp1 gave a good sequence of steps to view your Armory balances (and ultimately access the coins).

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: