Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:34:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] need help getting recovered wallet.dat to work  (Read 4042 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 02:01:10 AM

Hello

I have a problem for the Bitcoin geniuses. I had a Bitcoin wallet on an office computer with coins in it, well the network administrator decided he was going to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 on it. So I used EASEUS recovery wizard and was able to recover wallet.dat. So I reinstalled Bitcoin and then copied wallet.dat into the Bitcoin directory and tried to run Bitcoin, bit Bitcoin wont run with all kinds of errors.

like this:
exception: 11dbexception DB:: open: invalid argument

I will gladly pay someone 2 BTC who can help me to recover this wallet and get the coins inside
thank you
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 04:06:36 AM

Hi cablepair,
Delete blk0001.dat and addr.dat.  Then open bitcoin up again.  Tell me if you still have the same error.

(BFL)^2 < 0
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 04:19:03 AM

yeah i had that happen, use bitcointools, run fixwallet.py

try what  ineededausername says first.

if that doesnt work there are a couple other tools, but that is how i fixed mine and had same error.

i didnt do any of the striping  "--noaccounts --nosettings --notxes --nopubkeys"  but mine might not have been as corrupted. If you want me to fix it for ya, pm me.

pywallet is a great tool as well. and you can just export your keys and import them in a new wallet.
and then their is this tool, i havent tried yet

mooo for rent
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 11:10:55 AM

Hi cablepair,
Delete blk0001.dat and addr.dat.  Then open bitcoin up again.  Tell me if you still have the same error.

That did not work, thank you though

yeah i had that happen, use bitcointools, run fixwallet.py

try what  ineededausername says first.

if that doesnt work there are a couple other tools, but that is how i fixed mine and had same error.

i didnt do any of the striping  "--noaccounts --nosettings --notxes --nopubkeys"  but mine might not have been as corrupted. If you want me to fix it for ya, pm me.

pywallet is a great tool as well. and you can just export your keys and import them in a new wallet.
and then their is this tool, i havent tried yet

when I try to run fixwallet.py it says
ERROR:root could not open wallet.dat/main try quitting Bitcoin and running this again (but of course Bitcoin is closed)

any ideas?
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 12:25:27 PM

Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> ================================ RESTART ================================
>>>
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this again.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\fixwallet.py", line 61, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\fixwallet.py", line 56, in main
    rewrite_wallet(db_env, options.outfile)
  File "C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\wallet.py", line 289, in rewrite_wallet
    db = open_wallet(db_env)
  File "C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\wallet.py", line 26, in open_wallet
    sys.exit(1)
SystemExit: 1
>>>
that is the exact error from the python window
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 01:08:43 PM

as a matter of fact I get that same error when running any of the tools on wallet.dat

Sad

C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandr
esen-bitcointools-45f5c00>dbdump.py --wallet
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this
again.

C:\Users\Thomas Van Riper\Downloads\gavinandresen-bitcointools-45f5c00\gavinandr
esen-bitcointools-45f5c00>dbdump.py --wallet wallet.dat
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this
again.

esen-bitcointools-45f5c00>
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 01:22:17 PM

damn, you know what I think the problem is? I can't change a system directory to not be read only, by default these tools look for wallet.dat in my user directory which is set to read only and which I can't change, not even on the command prompt with attrib -r

is there anyway I can run this fixwallet.py on a wallet.dat in another directory than the default one?

thanks
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:41:21 PM

Firstly you could edit fixwallet.py or something but that would take too long I guess.
You could also log in to the system account and force set it to read/write but that would not be recommended.

(BFL)^2 < 0
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 04:36:07 PM

just copy over the default one to bitcoin-backup

and remove your read only protection.

you should probably try pywallet and see if you can see keys in there.

mooo for rent
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 05:25:27 PM

i was completely wrong before when I said it was a permissions thing.

because its not the file is not read only.

I have no idea why, but when I use any tool at all on my recovered wallet I get above error

anyone can I help I will gladly pay you some coins, I recovered wallet.dat its 608 bytes but none of these tools will read it.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:38:25 PM

go to task manager and close all processes with your ID, especialy bitcoin related.

then retry with bittools.

cheers
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 09:46:00 PM

thats not it, I wish it was that easy. I get the same error in linux I think the file is too corrupted i need some genius who wants to take the wallet file and hexedit it and get the keys out and rebuild the wallet
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:00:09 PM

i was completely wrong before when I said it was a permissions thing.

because its not the file is not read only.

I have no idea why, but when I use any tool at all on my recovered wallet I get above error

anyone can I help I will gladly pay you some coins, I recovered wallet.dat its 608 bytes but none of these tools will read it.

608 bytes is too small.
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 10:28:24 PM

im sorry that was a typo, the biggest and most recent wallet.dat I was able to recover is 608 KB
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:40:01 PM

Sounds hard, anyway try to not use spaces in the path to either the wallet.dat or the tool.

Eg. Mkdir C:\bitcoinRepair
cp wallet.dat there
cp tools there

try to fix.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 02:36:31 AM

Have you seen the modified bitcointools here?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=11331.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: