Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:21:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin Exchange (mtgox.com)  (Read 38406 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 05:14:20 PM

So, mtgox, are you're going to implement some of us' ideas? Which one are you going to implement in the future?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 06:57:24 PM

I think charging per-trade would be reasonable.  Most other markets have some sort of per-transaction charge.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2010, 01:14:59 PM

I'm basically shocked at how well this exchange is doing. Here it is, not even a month old, and the market is already tighter than 0.0005 with thousands up on each side. You have a great product here.

I hope you can make money from a source other than charging per transaction. I'm trying to keep bids & offers out there on both sides.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2010, 01:31:47 PM

I'm basically shocked at how well this exchange is doing. Here it is, not even a month old, and the market is already tighter than 0.0005 with thousands up on each side. You have a great product here.

I hope you can make money from a source other than charging per transaction. I'm trying to keep bids & offers out there on both sides.

Agreed, It's pretty much kickass awesome.

I donate whenever i have to cycle through PayPal. I must hit over 100 pages a day though, ads should be worth something over there. Not that I want to see ads, maybe I'd pay to get them taken off. Unless they were varied, useful bitcoin related ads.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
August 21, 2010, 02:14:23 PM

MtGox does seem to be working very well. I see they are listing over BTC 27000 as "asks". Therefore MtGox holds over 0.72% of all BTC generated so far, which is pretty impressive. At BTC1=$0.065 that's a nominal value of $1761 held by MtGox in bitcoins.

Actually the figure must be even higher, because the list doesn't show "asks" over $0.10, and I know there are some of those.

There must also be quite a sum held as dollars, of the order of $600 according to my very rough calculations. Maybe there's a possibility to pay the running costs of the site by earning some interest from this money?

Now might be a good time for MtGox to answer some of these questions:

1. What happens if PayPal reverses some payments in or payments out?
2. What happens if the operator of MtGox dies (or is kidnapped or imprisoned or whatever)?
3. What happens if someone hacks the website and finds a way to send themselves everyone's BTC balances?

Of course there is risk everywhere in life, and I don't imagine that it can be eliminated, but I would like to understand where the main risks lie.
mtgox (OP)

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2010, 02:29:06 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

So, mtgox, are you're going to implement some of us' ideas? Which one are you going to implement in the future?
I'm actually right in the middle of moving so it will be a couple weeks before there are any big updates to the site.

> 1. What happens if PayPal reverses some payments in or payments out?
This has happened once now. I'm just eating the charge which sucks so please, please don't do this.

> 2. What happens if the operator of MtGox dies (or is kidnapped or imprisoned or whatever)?
The site will still be up so you can just withdraw your funds. Or just keep trading...

> 3. What happens if someone hacks the website and finds a way to send themselves everyone's BTC balances?
Not sure. If it is a bug in bitcoind you will probably have to take it up with satoshi :)

Anonymous

August 21, 2010, 02:40:08 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

I'm actually right in the middle of moving so it will be a couple weeks before there are any big updates to the site.

This has happened once now. I'm just eating the charge which sucks so please, please don't do this.

> 2. What happens if the operator of MtGox dies (or is kidnapped or imprisoned or whatever)?
The site will still be up so you can just withdraw your funds. Or just keep trading...

> 3. What happens if someone hacks the website and finds a way to send themselves everyone's BTC balances?
Not sure. If it is a bug in bitcoind you will probably have to take it up with satoshi Smiley

Thanks for you excellent site.Paypal are douchebags. Smiley
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2010, 02:42:50 PM

How much you stuck? I want to help.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
llama

Activity: 103
Merit: 61

View Profile
August 22, 2010, 12:09:05 PM

You should open source the market.  Maybe.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2010, 12:51:02 PM

You should open source the market.  Maybe.

It is a nice market. I definitely think he needs rewarded though. Maybe a bounty/gift to set the code free? If he's interested.

23k BTC traded in the last 24hrs!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 22, 2010, 10:32:20 PM

Quote from: Anonymous link=topic=444.msg10598#msg10598

[/quote

Paypal isn't the problem, it's all the douchbags on the Internet that do this crap just to turn a buck; or even just fail to do their due diligence as an informed consumer, because they know that Paypal will work it out for them.  It's the slippery slope of 'nannyism' applied to 'let the buyer beware'.  It's this very reason that Paypal has to charge as much as they do *even though* no credit has been extended, nor debt incurred as a result of the transaction.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2010, 12:48:47 AM

Quote from: Anonymous link=topic=444.msg10598#msg10598

[/quote

Paypal isn't the problem, it's all the douchbags on the Internet that do this crap just to turn a buck; or even just fail to do their due diligence as an informed consumer, because they know that Paypal will work it out for them.  It's the slippery slope of 'nannyism' applied to 'let the buyer beware'.  It's this very reason that Paypal has to charge as much as they do *even though* no credit has been extended, nor debt incurred as a result of the transaction.

PayPal IS a problem. You can't use eBay any more without going thru PayPal. They've shut down several of my trades and my main account because they don't like the valid credit card that I use. And everything now must be done by credit card, so they can report your transactions.

I sure hope Meg Whitman doesn't become the new Governator of California. That state has enough problems without being run by the same management as PayPal.

PayPal sucks.

Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:21:28 PM

I see:
Current Lowest Buy Price   0.1224
Current Highest Sell Price   0.05882

Meaning someone out there is wanting to sell BTC for 0.1224
And someone else is wanting to buy them for 0.05882

so if your buy price is below 0.05882 it wont show up until all the ones are sold at the better price. (better from the perspective of the seller)

BTC for 0.1224  I'm in  Grin

Bitrated user: Mick.
calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:28:20 PM

Hi Everyone,
I just put up a new bitcoin exchange.
Please let me know what you think.
https://mtgox.com

Bumping this thread shows just how fast time moves in bitcoin land. It's unbelievable really. Here we are today on November 26, 2013 and mtgox is at $960 per coin.
tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:37:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

Bumping this thread shows just how fast time moves in bitcoin land. It's unbelievable really. Here we are today on November 26, 2013 and mtgox is at $960 per coin.
Ah the good old days.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
zackron

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:00:30 AM

Hi Everyone,

Ah the good old days.

mtgox was once a great site.  it's a real shame how they have fallen to being second rate scam artists.  I'm still waiting for them to send me my USD withdraw that I requested four months ago, and they keep feeding me the same line of BS, that they are having to manually handle withdraws as they look for new 'partners'.   but I guess the line works for them, they keep getting people to send them money and are able to keep the people trying to withdraw money quiet.
Kinderachtig

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:19:01 PM

All you money on mtgox and btc-e is lost. You will never see a single penny of it. The goverment controls it.
You should cash out while you can, soon the sites will close and everything will be lost.

I have a way to cash out small amounts of bitcoins to usd above its current value. Pm me for more info.
reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1897
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:14:55 PM

All you money on mtgox and btc-e is lost. You will never see a single penny of it. The goverment controls it.
You should cash out while you can, soon the sites will close and everything will be lost.

I have a way to cash out small amounts of bitcoins to usd above its current value. Pm me for more info.

You are a SCAMMER!

So please just STFU

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

..I  D  E  N  A..

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 3 2 2

..N  O  D  E  S..

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
███                            ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

.REQUEST INVITATION.
zackron

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:23:54 PM

You are a SCAMMER!

So please just STFU

you got to love the scammers, don't yeah?  problem is lots of people fall for it *frown*.... "Yeah sure, I have a way to get you usd above mtgox prices, just send me your bit coins and your bank account information, and I'll send the money right over...".....  but then again, what room do I have to talk? I fell for the whole "mt gox is one of the largest exchanges of BTC on the net, so sure it's safe to try to withdraw money from.".
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:49:30 AM

The original thread is enjoyable and interesting, the newer posts are tainted by people like you, or let's make that you.   Cheesy

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: