Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:47:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the future of gpu mining  (Read 718 times)
andrew4

Activity: 176
Merit: 20

Knowledge is power

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 10:04:06 PM

ASIC resistance will not last forever. Even the X16r/X16s algo won't be safe some time soon. I intend to keep my GPU's for speculative low difficulty coin mining. If you are lucky enough it might turn from shit to gold. Cool

ZEL platform: Zelcash (ASIC resistant POW), Zelcore wallet, Nodes, DEX, DAPPS
https://zel.cash/ - https://twitter.com/Zelcash - https://discord.gg/rB9pr4M

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 03:27:55 AM

Maybe it will switch in the future where there will be affordable asics with multi algo support.

That's pretty contradictory statement right there. ASICs by definition are Application (you could say too, Algorithm) Specific Integrated Circuits. If you are talking about hardware that is multi-application/multi-purpose then it would no longer be an ASIC. You could be referring to what is called the FPGA.

On topic though, i do believe ASIC resistance is possible. An automated algortihm which switches algorithm on a random periodic basis would make it so difficult and costly for ASIC developers that it would be no longer worth pursuing development of the ASIC. I think..
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 04:05:04 AM

This is very hard time for gpu mining. I'm rethinking about resale (sell Rx580, and keep P106-100 to mine) my GPUs, the fact is I already got ROI, the current profit is not that much, I even think next 2 months, GPU mining is not worth, just enough to compensate electric fees. The problem is it's not easy to find and to consider which asic-resistance coin is worth to mine. ZEC - difficulty flied yesterday, ETH - gpu may not mine in next few months (due to PoS or new asics miners), XMR - I'm still mining it, but not sure how long we could get profit. I'm quite skeptical about gpu mining.
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 10:00:59 AM

So what do you think about GPU mining in the future?

i think gpu mining will remain quite ok fot the coin which will fight against asics.. like monero did, for example. for other coins, like btc or dash, gpu are useless long time ago. and i think nothing will change in the future about it
What good did happen for monero after the fork occurred? Nothing. Now cases of attacks 51% have become more frequent. This is only possible on algorithms that use mining GPU. Asics provide an opportunity to increase the network hashrate to avoid such attacks.
chuck732

Activity: 141
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 10:49:47 AM

i think gpu mining will remain quite ok fot the coin which will fight against asics.. like monero did, for example. for other coins, like btc or dash, gpu are useless long time ago. and i think nothing will change in the future about it
What good did happen for monero after the fork occurred? Nothing. Now cases of attacks 51% have become more frequent. This is only possible on algorithms that use mining GPU. Asics provide an opportunity to increase the network hashrate to avoid such attacks.

Did you ever think that those attacks are being done by ASIC manufactures because the algo's forked away from ASIC. And these companies are pissed off! What better way to get the algo's to accept ASIC to protect there algo... We are talking about billions of dollars!
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 01:09:41 PM

In my opinion gpu mining is not fair in 2018 . The price for one gpu grew very consistenly and the ROI can take up to 12-18 months.
The future of gpu mining probably will be dead if the manufacturers will still pump the price on the market

It has been like this for years with mining.

BTC was created in 2009 and virtually nobody mined it and if you mined it you could do it with a laptop.

Then when it started to get value its when all the competition and fighting started. First it was the CPUs who were killed off due to GPUs, then it was the FGPAs then it was the ASICs.

Mining was always unfair... because it kept increasing in value so its considered normal.

ASICs won bitcoin only because the devs allowed it.
Cryptonight based cryptos (well most of them) fought back, now as far as I know, there are six more variations of the CN algo, so seven different algos to mine. ASICs might come again on Monero and Heavy variations, but the smaller cryptos - that use their own variation - are out of danger of ASICs. Not the same game for modern FPGAs, they outclass current GPUs. But next year AMD will have 7nm GPUs, NVIDIA next gen is good for mass production.
Iamtutut

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 01:16:27 PM

What bad did happen for monero after the fork occurred?

ASICs provide nothing, escpecially if the network is ASIC only. Nothing prevents a deep pocket actor to own 51% of hashrate in an all ASIC environnement. And bye bye decentralization.
Iamtutut

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 01:18:33 PM

This is very hard time for gpu mining. I'm rethinking about resale (sell Rx580, and keep P106-100 to mine) my GPUs, the fact is I already got ROI, the current profit is not that much, I even think next 2 months, GPU mining is not worth, just enough to compensate electric fees. The problem is it's not easy to find and to consider which asic-resistance coin is worth to mine. ZEC - difficulty flied yesterday, ETH - gpu may not mine in next few months (due to PoS or new asics miners), XMR - I'm still mining it, but not sure how long we could get profit. I'm quite skeptical about gpu mining.

Phi, lyra, X16R, neoscrypt...

ETH is far from POS, especially full POS.
$--Perfect. Exchange-$.

Activity: 188
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 03:36:10 PM

I think we should wait and evaluate the release of a new generation of graphics cards.Perhaps they will be more profitable mining than previous versions. Maybe the ratio of price and power will be more profitable.
ArunTomar

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:12:59 AM

GPU’s are hot market both for gamers and miners. Their prices are at 150–200% of regular prices from couple of years back.
shixiu

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 12:47:31 PM

Bitcoin has been around for a long time. At present, mining has shifted from GPU general computing power to ASIC dedicated mining machines. Although Ethereum still uses GPUs for mining, it is more cost-effective to design an ASIC in the future due to the expertise of mining. However, new virtual currencies will continue to emerge. This market will always have a place for GPU mining. In addition, I believe that different chips have their strengths in different positions depending on their own advantages. In the future, the further rise of deep learning will accelerate the demand for GPU.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 01:37:36 PM

I think ASIC's will gradually displace mining on graphics cards as the graphics card pushed out of the market mining on CPUs. Many coin makers do not want to change the mining algorithm of their cryptocurrency.
I don't think that's going to happen. Probably all existing coins are doomed. But the developers of the new coins will use algorithms that will protect them from asics. Almost all asics will only make money for the companies who produce them. They mine coins and increase the complexity of the network. After that, they sell asics to users but it is impossible to return the invested money. How long is this fraud going to continue?

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2018, 01:54:24 PM

I am hanging on... my combo GPU/CPU operation is still at over 3x power costs so it's totally worth it still (0.07 cents per KWH).

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:09:28 PM

What good? Let's try for a bit.. Who was getting most of XMR before the fork? (hint: They had 200Khs miners).  THey were very easly attacked before the fork now they aren't. Is this enough "good"?
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:18:42 PM

This shit has all happened before... a few times over. Bitcoin, then Litecoin, then ETH and more recently a huge bubble and hundreds of shitcoins.

I started mining ETH more than 2 years ago and when I started I was making 5 ETH every 2 or 3 days. I once had nearly 200 ETH. I sold most of it when ETH got to $50 thinking about the times when I saw it down between $8 and $15. Obviously I should have HODL but hindsight is 20/20.

The only thing you can do in times like this if you have GPUs is to find a coin/project you really believe in - meaning do lots of research until you understand what it is trying to achieve and understand it, and then mine it and HODL. Choose 2 or 3 of these and don't dump them unless you are sure.

You might get lucky but you probably won't. Don't be like me and sell something at a 20th of its ultimate value! HODL!

Right now I mine mostly Loki. I think it has potential and it has a great dev team. I also sometimes still mine ETH because although the difficulty is ridiculous and reward tiny - it is still one of the most ambitious blockchain projects ever realized and underpins hundreds of other projects. Most of them are scams or vapourware but maybe 2 or 3 of them will one day actually do something that will be "mainstream". Then ETH will be worth more than BTC.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: