Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:22:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY ARE WE wasting so much computing power?Cant we get coins for helping science  (Read 2576 times)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:23:20 PM

It is used for something. It is securing the first decentralized cryptocurrency from attack.

Monetary freedom is one of the most important things that can exist. So much good can come from people who are free.

cant this also be useful for solving better problems?

No, not with the current way proof of work is implemented in Bitcoin.

I suggest you read about the proof of work, how it is implemented in Bitcoin, and get a greater understanding before continuing down this path.

There have been many threads on this forum discussing this topic.

TL;DR: Work that has another purpose does not create any security for the block chain.

will bitcoins have to be mined forever to make it work forever?
Yep. Someone has to confirm the transactions.

But at that time one cpu can do all the work.

SO WE WILL be able to use the power once used for btc mining for solving better problems?How long will btc be mined?

140 more years and if you mean the asics no. Theyll be useless

blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:24:30 PM

It is used for something. It is securing the first decentralized cryptocurrency from attack.

Monetary freedom is one of the most important things that can exist. So much good can come from people who are free.

I suggest you read about the proof of work, how it is implemented in Bitcoin, and get a greater understanding before continuing down this path.

TL;DR: Work that has another purpose does not create any security for the block chain.

SO WE WILL be able to use the power once used for btc mining for solving better problems?How long will btc be mined?

~2140 or close to that
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:30:46 PM

example 1234 people want a new 3D PRINTER designed.They fund it like Kickstarter.com and whoever solves it get paid according to how much theyve solved.Obviously the 1234 people who want the design can mine too.

I don't really understand how it would even be created? It's not really like you just can say to your computer "Design a new 3D printer"!

Bitcoin has started because it was supported by a large enough community of competent people.This idea can too.Im hoping that by writing about it more people will cooperate and form into a community

The 3D printer wasnt the best example.Obviously you need human to pc cooperation too cuz pc doesnt know what 3d printer is bu tyou need to break it apart so you can use the computing power and put the results together. I cant tell exactly right now what problems with new 3d printer design or anything else needs to e solved because you find out those things when you start the idea.

get it now Huh
"what’s the most resilient parasite? an idea. a single idea from the human mind can build cities. an idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules" - Inception
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:36:05 PM

PLEASE SUGGEST IMPROVE idea.

or tell me whats wrong with it?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:36:27 PM

Bitcoin will be "mined" forever, regardless of the block reward. If Bitcoin "mining" ends, Bitcoin transactions are no longer processed.

Bitcoin will be mined as long as Bitcoin is used.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:37:33 PM

Your idea has nothing to do with Bitcoin or Bitcoin "mining".

Perhaps you should move your thread to "offtopic".

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:38:53 PM

Bitcoin will be "mined" forever, regardless of the block reward. If Bitcoin "mining" ends, Bitcoin transactions are no longer processed.

At that point one cpu can mine

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:39:21 PM

Curecoin is launching soon, the proof of work for that will be useful.  Also bitcoin work is useful just because all the cryptos need a strong bitcoin, bitcoin work is just useful because it supports bitcoin which is useful and supports all the other amazing crypto innovations happening.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:40:38 PM

If you want transactions that can be rendered invalid by someone with two CPUs, sure.

lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:41:50 PM

btc computin power is many times more powerful than world's fattest supercomputer.

Wouldnt it be great to use that power for something useful and get coins for it too?
rofl nicee Cheesy

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:43:40 PM

If you want transactions that can be rendered invalid by someone with two CPUs, sure.
There will still be lots people mining since there will still be a transaction fee to pay the miners.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:45:09 PM

There will still be lots people mining since there will still be a transaction fee to pay the miners.

If Bitcoin is still being used by then, of course.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:48:29 PM

how many people will have to be inlvoled in this to launch off? how hard will it be?
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:51:31 PM

PLEASE SUGGEST IMPROVE idea.

Improve it by learning how to write grammatically correct posts. People can't help you if they don't understand you.

If English is not your first language then don't use for this idea.

jballs

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:51:56 PM

Gridcoin says it does something like this. Inhave no idea if it is legit, only read their page. Altruism and money creation tend to not blend well. Wish that it were, but the concepts behind bitcoin are bound to spill into everywhere. Cure for cancer may be even more lucrative than treatment, also saw bitcongress somewhere with a token system for voting.  

High entropy systems are wasteful by definition, but the synergies they create are often worth it. You just have to look at the big picture with btc.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:54:01 PM

I do wish we could've used folding but the work isn't flexible and checking it is another manner.

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:56:10 PM

how many people will have to be inlvoled in this to launch off? how hard will it be?

How do we measure 'hardness'?

You will need at least one really clever person like Satoshi Nakamoto, or Vijay Panda, or leaders of the World Community Grid projects (which I've briefly forgotten), a bunch of other clever people, some support staff and about 2-5 years funding for them.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:57:07 PM

I do wish we could've used folding but the work isn't flexible and checking it is another manner.

this isa huge ripoff if you help find a cure and have to pay for it anyway
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:58:36 PM

If a coin like my idea was made tomorrow would you mine it instead of btc?
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:05:54 PM

You can. You just have to support gridcoin.

Also ripple works with worldcommunitygrid.

Bitcoin won't change, cause it would make asics obvious ...

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███