Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:34:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combining AMD & Nvidia in one machine  (Read 939 times)
Cyrax89721 (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:31:46 PM

I'm about to run out to the store to buy myself an XFX R9 270 to either add to or replace my EVGA GTX 660ti.  I'm curious if anybody has a success story of combining GPU's in one machine without the nightmare of driver conflicts?  The 270 would end up being strictly for mining with the 660ti taking care of the rest of the system.  I'm using Windows 8.1.
Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:35:15 PM

I'm about to run out to the store to buy myself an XFX R9 270 to either add to or replace my EVGA GTX 660ti.  I'm curious if anybody has a success story of combining GPU's in one machine without the nightmare of driver conflicts?  The 270 would end up being strictly for mining with the 660ti taking care of the rest of the system.  I'm using Windows 8.1.

You are using Windows, it should be OK. Linux is more sensitive if you mix them together.
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:04:32 AM

I'm about to run out to the store to buy myself an XFX R9 270 to either add to or replace my EVGA GTX 660ti.  I'm curious if anybody has a success story of combining GPU's in one machine without the nightmare of driver conflicts?  The 270 would end up being strictly for mining with the 660ti taking care of the rest of the system.  I'm using Windows 8.1.

I did the same - combined AMD and Nvidia GPUs, except used both for mining and had no issue under windows 7. Just installed the drivers for each and in the miners config (using 2 different miners) I set the GPU that's gonna be used ( -d ) with said miner (although from my understanding I didn't need to set the GPUs, but w/e).
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:30:09 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 07:44:29 AM by Wipeout2097

Don't buy XFX, get a Gigabyte R9-270 OC or some Sapphire which gives even higher hashrate. Search around for best brands, memory types, temperatures, noise, etc...

To the poster above, did you have to plug them and install by a particular order, or you plugged both, installed drivers and they did "just work"?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Cyrax89721 (OP)

Activity: 321

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:30:45 AM

I was in more of a "need it now" mood and went with the XFX because that's what they had at Best Buy today.  Whenever I get around to building an actual mining rig, I'll probably put more effort into quality and get some Gigabytes!

I wasn't expecting the cards to get along as well as they did, but they both started up just fine on the first boot!  After learning how to properly use CGMiner (my first time with it) & troubleshooting a couple hiccups, I managed to get the card hashing without crashing after an hour of work!  Currently getting ~450KH/sec.  I'll leave it running at an intensity of 19 for the next 12 hours and see if I can bump it up another degree.  Speaking of which, has anybody ever seen an idiots guide to all the commands available to CGMiner?  I'm plunking in all these tags and numbers based on the recommendations of other users, but I'm not quite sure what most of them actually mean, or if they can be further optimized for my particular card.  My current batch file:

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.mineworks.co:5545 -u Cyrax89721.user2 -p password2 --gpu-platform 1 -I 19 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 16000 --lookup-gap 2 -g 1 --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-fan 90 --gpu-memclock 1250 --gpu-powertune 20
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:28:08 PM

Don't buy XFX, get a Gigabyte R9-270 OC or some Sapphire which gives even higher hashrate. Search around for best brands, memory types, temperatures, noise, etc...

To the poster above, did you have to plug them and install by a particular order, or you plugged both, installed drivers and they did "just work"?

I plugged and installed the AMD first, restarted PC, shut down, plugged and installed the Nvidia second, restarted and they worked.

Speaking of which, has anybody ever seen an idiots guide to all the commands available to CGMiner?  I'm plunking in all these tags and numbers based on the recommendations of other users, but I'm not quite sure what most of them actually mean, or if they can be further optimized for my particular card.

Check the read me file.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: