Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:52:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent BTC to a non-exisiting address - What can I do?  (Read 1055 times)
danielchar (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:26:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

A few days ago I accidentally sent some coins to an incorrect address (my own plus a bit of another).  It's currently still unconfirmed so I was wondering if there was any way I could get the coins back or what will happen if it never gets confirmed.4

I hope someone here can help me out. Thanks!
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:29:00 PM

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I accidentally sent some coins to an incorrect address (my own plus a bit of another).  It's currently still unconfirmed so I was wondering if there was any way I could get the coins back or what will happen if it never gets confirmed.4

What "incorrect address" did you send it to?
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:34:02 PM

A few days ago I accidentally sent some coins to an incorrect address (my own plus a bit of another).  It's currently still unconfirmed so I was wondering if there was any way I could get the coins back or what will happen if it never gets confirmed.

Bad luck, nothing to be done. They have been sent. One day someone will open a wallet and be surprised to get those coins.

Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:33:12 PM

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I accidentally sent some coins to an incorrect address (my own plus a bit of another).  It's currently still unconfirmed so I was wondering if there was any way I could get the coins back or what will happen if it never gets confirmed.4

As you can actually broadcast that tx, it seems your misspelled address is unluckily a valid address (bitcoin address has a checksum).

If your transaction get confirmed, it will be forever loss, and there will be no way for you to recover it.
If your transaction doesn't get confirmed in a day or two, it will be dropped by nodes, and the tx will be "forgotten" by the network.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:01:12 PM

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I accidentally sent some coins to an incorrect address (my own plus a bit of another).  It's currently still unconfirmed so I was wondering if there was any way I could get the coins back or what will happen if it never gets confirmed.4

As you can actually broadcast that tx, it seems your misspelled address is unluckily a valid address (bitcoin address has a checksum).

If your transaction get confirmed, it will be forever loss, and there will be no way for you to recover it.
If your transaction doesn't get confirmed in a day or two, it will be dropped by nodes, and the tx will be "forgotten" by the network.

And if it doesn't get confirmed, you will eventually get your coins back.
BookLover

Activity: 533

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:49:48 PM

What bitcoin client are you using?  For some clients you will need to restore your wallet from a backup to prevent the client from rebroadcasting the transaction.

R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:38:49 AM

theres nothing you can do @OP everything is gone forever

luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:39:45 AM

If it's not confirmed you could try to double spend it

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:47:38 AM

The probability of creating a valid address by pasting two together is very, very small. So you shouldn't worry, just send them again to the correct address.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 03:42:02 AM

If it was truly a mistyped address, you would get an invalid address error from the Bitcoin client and not be able to send. The chance of accidentally typing a valid address is one-in-four-billion.

The money was sent to some address, you should examine your transaction history to see what that address was - if it is not yours, you might appeal to the address owner to return the accidentally-sent funds. It is probable that it is some address that you have had interactions with before.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:39:19 PM

Post the address you sent them to

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:17:44 AM

If it's not confirmed you could try to double spend it

+1
Do this ASAP or your coins will be lost
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:40:03 AM

Have you recovered your coins? Huh
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:28:32 PM

Have you recovered your coins? Huh

OP signed up made this post, and then has not logged in since.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: