Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:13:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wtf? i woke up and it says my bitcoin got sent to some one's address  (Read 3771 times)
xunknownx (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:46:19 PM

did i get hacked?  how would they of hacked into my wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:50:43 PM

It looks like it. You may have a key logger.  Where was this wallet? If it was a web wallet did you have two factor authentication on?  If on your own machine, you will want to check it.  I didn't retype the outgoing address to look at it.
xunknownx (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:51:28 PM

its on my computer
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:52:46 PM

its on my computer

Let me guess, you are running Windows.  Undecided

Never use Windows to store your wallets.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:53:50 PM

You may have malware on your computer.  Was the wallet locked? What software was it? Was it a brain wallet?  Lots of variables, but you should assume that your machine is compromised.

If you have other bitcoins, it would be smart to move them to a new address using a safe machine in order to protect them.  Are you running Windows?
xunknownx (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:56:04 PM

yea im running windows but how does that even happen.  im 99.9% sure i dont have a key logger.  i work in IT and im not that dumb to get a virus and stuff that easily.  they would need to have my my wallet in order to send themselves bitcoin right?  it is password protected.  im using multi-bit
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:58:47 PM

If it's more than you could stand losing keep it secure and offline. With a cold wallet generated on an offline computer.
I'm going to open a safety deposit box for my Bitcoins and keep the coins distributed across several cold wallets stored in the box.

cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:59:03 PM

yea im running windows but how does that even happen.  im 99.9% sure i dont have a key logger.  i work in IT and im not that dumb to get a virus and stuff that easily.  they would need to have my my wallet in order to send themselves bitcoin right?  it is password protected.  im using multi-bit

They would just need the private key(s).  Hopefully you don't have a virus or key logger but the odds are you have some type of malware given that is how most people lose bitcoin.  
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

its on my computer

Let me guess, you are running Windows.  Undecided

This is bullshit. Using windows, never had any wallets stolen. Stupid people will install malicious software no matter which os they use. From what I see most of bitcoin stealing stuff comes with bitcoin related software, a different os will not protect you from that.
Prolifik

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:01:36 AM

Don't underestimate hackers, they become more and more crafty everyday.
Keylogger, they could also have used their mining rig to crack the password if it was weak enough.

Kenshin

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:09:18 AM

Maybe you are lucky enough to have a zero day malware which just go into the wild. So your malware signatures doesn't have it yet.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:12:10 AM

Yes, you've been hacked.

This is why many of us have been recommending offline wallets for a couple of years now.

Is it possible you've never heard of offline wallets?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Kenshin

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:12:47 AM

its on my computer

This is bullshit. Using windows, never had any wallets stolen. Stupid people will install malicious software no matter which os they use. From what I see most of bitcoin stealing stuff comes with bitcoin related software, a different os will not protect you from that.

Majority of the people who got their wallet stolen uses Windows. That is a fact.
xunknownx (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:15:39 AM

if i have an offline wallet, how do i see how much bitcoins is in my wallet?  (serious questions)
i usually just have it up on my screen minimized and i check it every now and then.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:17:47 AM

If you have an offline wallet, you'll just the PUBLIC address to look it up someplace like blockchain.info

Don't put any private keys on that computer until you know what happened. And if any were on there, think about making new paper wallets and moving them. Better to be safe than sorry.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:23:29 AM

Am I the only one that finds the tx strange? https://blockchain.info/bg/tx/1be54013944faaf392f2c864ba347e69716dfaf7caceb17c0ab5aca0c80308a5

Apart from OP's input, there were several others. 32 coins stolen? Also, what is the wallet client used?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:26:08 AM

Majority of the people who got their wallet stolen uses Windows. That is a fact.
That is fact because
1. The majority of people uses windows
2. Those who use linux are usually much more knowledgeable about how to keep the data safe

It has very little to do with the os itself.
erik777

Activity: 504

Earn with impressio.io

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:27:48 AM

its on my computer

This is bullshit. Running windows, never had any wallets stolen. Stupid people will install malicious software no matter which os they use. From what I see most of bitcoin stealing stuff comes with altcoin clients/miners and other bitcoin related software, a different os will not protect you from any of those.

As someone who has used both nearly every day since the beginning for windows (3.1) and a long time for linux/unix (prolly near 2000), and spent a lot of time learning security, the security model is completely different, especially considering features like SE linux. 

I never let the kids use Windows, although I virtually never use it except for work, where i use it over 90% of the time.  On Linux, they can't install things because I don't give them root.  And, if they managed to install anything, the program would be limited to their access.  on linux, the default user access only includes write to their home and tmp, and no one can read another user's access. 

is it technically possible to compromise linux?  of course.  but, the contrast in likelihood is huge if you have kids using it, and you know how to secure the computer from the kids.  i tried and could not find a way to secure the computer from the kids in windows.  it's just to easy to hack -- and thus too easy for malicious software to infect. 

at the end of the day, knowing what i know, i would never put more than i need to spend in one transaction on windows or a mobile device, including Android, because I understand how easily compromised they. 

i may have created one of the first key loggers back in 1982 on an Osborne 1 with the CP/M OS.  it wasn't malicious.  i just wanted function keys in dbase II to work.  but, because it loaded as part of the OS, it was transparently intercepting all keystrokes no matter what software you were running.  i'd demo by telling people to type "this".  they'd be amazed when they watched and when they typed the last character, it would say "that".  basically, it monitored for words and replaced them. 

Then DOS came out with an official way to do this called the terminate stay resident function (TSR). Utilities such as Borland Superkey became available that used this.   

Windows descended from DOS.  Windows 3.1 originally ran on top of it. Being a single user OS, it has no security.  Then, later, security concepts were introduced. 

By contrast, UNIX was a network SO when linux was created by Linus.  So, it was always built with user security in mind rather than an after thought.  SE Linux is killer to have, especially on your servers, because it helps to lock down processes.  then there is chroot and other user and process isolators.     

Then there are the security implications of peer reviewed open source versus closed source.  History has proven that hiding the source does not hide the vulnerabilities.  Also, having a lot of developers collaborate on code is likely to be more secure than having very few develop and review critical parts.   

That said, paper wallets rock.  just don't lose, burn, get water on, etc,... your last copy!  that would suck.  While I trust Linux a heck of a lot more than Windows, if you have a lot, offload it to cold storage until you need it. 

.▄███     ██████     ███▄
██████   ███████   ██████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
  ██████████████████████
   █████████  ████████
    ██████    ██████
    ███████    ██████
   █████████  █████████
  ██████████████████████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
██████   ██████   ██████
 ▀███     ██████     ███▀
IMPRESSIO     ▄███████████████▄
     ██             ██
     ▀███████████████▀
           ██ ██
           ██ ██
       ▄▄█████████▄▄ ▄███▄
    ▄███▀▀       ▀▀████ ▀██▄
  ▄██▀   ▄▄█████▄▄   ▀██▄ ██
 ▄██  ▄███  █  █████▄  ██▄█▀
 ██  ███         █████  ██
██  ██████  ███   █████  ██
██  ██████  ▀▀▀  ▄█████  ██
██  ██████  ▄▄▄▄  █████  ██
██  ██████  ████   ████  ██
 ██  ███          ████  ██
 ▀██  ▀███  █  █████▀  ██▀
  ▀██▄   ▀▀█████▀▀   ▄██▀
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:29:52 AM

its on my computer

This is bullshit. Running windows, never had any wallets stolen. Stupid people will install malicious software no matter which os they use. From what I see most of bitcoin stealing stuff comes with altcoin clients/miners and other bitcoin related software, a different os will not protect you from any of those.
I never let the kids use Windows, although I virtually never use it except for work, where i use it over 90% of the time.  On Linux, they can't install things because I don't give them root.  And, if they managed to install anything, the program would be limited to their access.  on linux, the default user access only includes write to their home and tmp, and no one can read another user's access.  

Then you are a really shitty father. Your kids might want to play something called games, most of which require Windows. Sure you can use Wine, but how stable will be the games there? Also, most games like BF3/BF4 require Origin which is Windows only afaik.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
zemario

Activity: 194

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:40:18 AM

It is a bit silly to only mention windows. Apple users also run their sessions with full root access and also download their software from random sources. But I take it they would rather remain in silence in order to preserve their [ridiculous] cool factor of apple product owners than to talk about their bad experiences like op did.

But I agree "you use windows" is a bit a bullshit analysis. I've been running linux on all my computers for 8 years, I can defenately confirm that stupid people would not be saved by changing operative system. There are a couple of alternative coins I would like to try out and a shitload of projects on github I would like to toy around with, but I lack the time check the sources or, in some cases it's just binaries that I don't trust.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: