Bitcoin Forum
June 10, 2024, 04:03:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX Vega 64 sapphire limited edition - burned capacitor  (Read 308 times)
Permonik (OP)

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 10:02:22 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2018, 09:16:10 AM by Permonik

Hi guys,
Today I am just start to make new water cooling for my RX Vegas 64 gpus and on one card is burned capacitor it is C908 on pcb. Card acting normaly for about 6months, but I am worried about this. Anyone know what is the importance of this capacitor?
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 11:20:45 AM

same as my GPU (R9) capacitor burned and 2 days later dead..

dude, you're lucky it GPU is still normal.

as far as I know, the capacitor can be as an electrical retarder or temporary power storage but I'm not sure if those functions are the same on GPU.

Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 01:29:43 PM

Ciao OP
So today is your first time saw that your cards capacitor has burnt, right? Running smoothly for six months (but actually, you doesn't know when was that capacitor has burnt). Mean that can happen in that six-month range (while you were running it) or may yesterday.  Cheesy

You can't force to running that cards again (too risky) as above comment said. If your card still under warranty will be better to return your card (RMA), except you have been modifications those bios card, you'll need extra luck!  Wink
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 02:14:21 PM

that's right, just hope for a lucky factor if distributor/seller receiving "why can burn" because almost all vendor can't accept the reason of their device used for mining although still have a time of warranty.

Permonik (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:09:50 AM

Permonik (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:20:13 AM

I am not sure with RMA, because the waranty label on one screw is already broken. I am looking for the PCB layout or someone who knows the importance of this capacitor in the circuit (I know how the capacitors works and what they do...) if it´s a part of display ports or something like that.
Or I just need to know the value of this capacitor, exchange is a matter of minutes...
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 06:58:57 PM

Ohow, that was terrible.  Cry
The images showed more than anything.

Or I just need to know the value of this capacitor, exchange is a matter of minutes...

That was your best option when you don't want to try to go to the nearest distributions store (maybe you have 2nd luck  Grin). But if you plan to replace that capacitor with the similar one, you should have a good enough soldering skill, and also the right solder tool.

Good luck, Buddy!
squallw

Activity: 504
Merit: 122

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 09:25:27 PM

Hi guys,
Today I am just start to make new water cooling for my RX Vegas 64 gpus and on one card is burned capacitor it is C908 on pcb. Card acting normaly for about 6months, but I am worried about this. Anyone know what is the importance of this capacitor?

Try to figure out the capacitor specs and replace or pay some professional job to do it. For who has soldering skill will be a very easy job
The hard part is to find the right replacement, maybe will need to measure on another same model video card.
entryboy

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 10:48:46 PM

Soldering is kid stuff. Do not frighten him. A good soldering station Ersa, Weller -> 80-150W) and the thing is outside. It is more important which value should be clean again. Maybe you look for pictures from the graphics card -> reference design and it looks like Potent was the original -> Dimension. It could possibly only be a 100nF-16V (25V). Maybe you look for the chip (CODE), where this capacitor belongs. Just a few suggestions ...
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 11:08:02 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2018, 01:03:08 AM by remauto1187ma
Merited by edwardceng (1)

same as my GPU (R9) capacitor burned and 2 days later dead..

dude, you're lucky it GPU is still normal.

as far as I know, the capacitor can be as an electrical retarder or temporary power storage but I'm not sure if those functions are the same on GPU.
R in R9 denotes a resistor NOT a capacitor.

A capacitor opposes a change in voltage, it doesnt retard it. It can also be used to block certain frequency ranges and smooth ac out of a dc power supply.

Id need to see a schematic to tell you what exactly the burned capacitor the OP showed is for but since the GPU works ok, my guess would be that its for a video or audio output signal.
realaccountakira

Activity: 182

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 11:43:14 PM

Anyone familiar with "where's wally?"

I'm not a professional but i was looking at your image and i can't seem to see which part of this GPU / capacitor is actually burned? Could anyone encircle it in red maybe? I would appreciate any tips because seeing as i can't spot any burned capacitors I may be already running some of my GPUs that are about to die.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 01:05:17 AM

Anyone familiar with "where's wally?"

I'm not a professional but i was looking at your image and i can't seem to see which part of this GPU / capacitor is actually burned? Could anyone encircle it in red maybe? I would appreciate any tips because seeing as i can't spot any burned capacitors I may be already running some of my GPUs that are about to die.

C908.  Look for that designator silkscreened onto the board. Its just to the right and down from dead center of the pic.  Look for a horizontal rectangle with what looks like a bubble popped in its center.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: