Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:22:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make the Marketplace the Most Exclusive Subforum?  (Read 2748 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 05:31:00 PM

In my opinion, the marketplace subforum should be the most exclusive for the best interest of the community.

Call it selection bias, but I read more scam ads than not.  It seems every piece of high end technology is being sold by a user under 50 posts and then everyone wonders why they get scammed.

I propose a 200-post minimum limit be enforced before anyone can post in the marketplace.

Another option would be to have 2 marketplace forums:  1 forum for users with over 200 posts, another for users with under 200.  I can tell you if this were the case, I wouldn't even glance at the under-200 forum.  I'd have no need to...I'd never buy from anyone in there anyway regardless of how convincing they are.

This is BTC, it ain't fuckin' pringles. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 05:36:55 PM

Number of post is a terrible proxy. Plus is gives incentives to make throw away posts.

I'm all for exclusivity in the marketplace, but not with some easy to game metric.

Maybe do people with 200 or more now and whitelist others manuall.

Also manual removal so that people who make Meta threads in the wrong place can't post here anymore.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 05:41:39 PM

Number of post is a terrible proxy. Plus is gives incentives to make throw away posts.

I'm all for exclusivity in the marketplace, but not with some easy to game metric.

Maybe do people with 200 or more now and whitelist others manuall.

Also manual removal so that people who make Meta threads in the wrong place can't post here anymore.

I don't think it's a terrible proxy for 2 reasons.  1.)  It still takes time to make 200 posts.  200 posts will limit the number of joint accounts a scammer will have...it would simply not be as time-effective for them to go through making 200 posts for every 1 scam before they get banned.  2.)  You can still read their posts and decide for yourself if their posts contain value.

This isn't the wrong place for this thread.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

You might be right, it would raise the cost of the scam, but it might make the payoff greater with a false sense of security.

This is not the right place for the thread. If talking about the rules of a forum is not Meta then what is?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 06:09:33 PM

You might be right, it would raise the cost of the scam, but it might make the payoff greater with a false sense of security.

This is not the right place for the thread. If talking about the rules of a forum is not Meta then what is?

Pertains to both.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:15:06 PM

As this thread pertains directly to the market subforum this is not a bad place for it, as far as posting things here post count should be avoided in favor of some kind of review system i've bought things from people with less than 200 posts and recived the goods as expected, perhaps the marketplace actually needs it's own moderator(not me i sell things and am therfore biased) to keep it clean

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:17:41 PM

As this thread pertains directly to the market subforum this is not a bad place for it, as far as posting things here post count should be avoided in favor of some kind of review system i've bought things from people with less than 200 posts and recived the goods as expected, perhaps the marketplace actually needs it's own moderator(not me i sell things and am therfore biased) to keep it clean

The problem I see is that it's easy to make multiple accounts and give yourself positive reviews.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:31:12 PM

not review system as in person x is good, review system as in ok we'll let person x in here

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:35:24 PM

The problem I see is that it's easy to make multiple accounts and give yourself positive reviews.
Yes, that's been a large problem recently. We recently took down a large false web of trust.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 11:38:20 AM

Whether Marketplace is restricted by post count or not, I don't believe it should be visible to guests at all.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
JonHind

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 11:45:28 AM

Maybe people could treat trades in bitcoins just as they would treat any other financial transaction? It amazes me that people regularly send BTC's to anonymous newbies for deals that are 'too good to be true', then complain when their BTC's are 'stolen'.

Stop whining and just do your homework before you send any money.
c0ffer

Activity: 672

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2011, 02:37:37 PM

Online/forum commerce is a tricky puzzle for sure.

I am new here and looking to start building rep for trade but 200 posts would be far to great of an obstacle and would certainly reduce traders.

Open markets have their risks, but also their rewards.

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
Alex Fenner

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 04:16:59 PM

Whether Marketplace is restricted by post count or not, I don't believe it should be visible to guests at all.

Guests shouldn't see the Marketplace
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 04:30:39 PM

Online/forum commerce is a tricky puzzle for sure.

I am new here and looking to start building rep for trade but 200 posts would be far to great of an obstacle and would certainly reduce traders.

Open markets have their risks, but also their rewards.

With all due respect, being new I'm not entirely sure how aware you are of how problematic scamming has become.  My impression is that 20% of the marketplace ads are scams.  I have no statistics on it, but that's my psychological impression.

+1 Theymos...guests shouldn't be able to see the marketplace.
c0ffer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 07:01:10 PM

Fair enough. I have been watching this forum for quite some time and have observed an interesting lot of activity, but have also witnessed good transactions as well.

It sounds like you are a more experienced online trader so you know the potential risks. If people dive to too quickly into buying/selling online, then there are risks. But if you can filter out the scammers and find good people to do deals with, then the benefits can be very good.

I'm not sure if I understand fully how preventing guests from seeing the marketplace would reduce scams. Would not being visible to guests make it less tempting for scammers? Or does that tie into post counts?

I am very much in favour of figuring out ways to help people's confidence in Bitcoin commerce Smiley

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 07:24:51 PM

Fair enough. I have been watching this forum for quite some time and have observed an interesting lot of activity, but have also witnessed good transactions as well.

It sounds like you are a more experienced online trader so you know the potential risks. If people dive to too quickly into buying/selling online, then there are risks. But if you can filter out the scammers and find good people to do deals with, then the benefits can be very good.

I'm not sure if I understand fully how preventing guests from seeing the marketplace would reduce scams. Would not being visible to guests make it less tempting for scammers? Or does that tie into post counts?

I am very much in favour of figuring out ways to help people's confidence in Bitcoin commerce Smiley

Well, my personal guess is that people don't simply join the forum, then look at the marketplace, then realize how easy scamming is, and then start to scam others.

My guess is that scammers first browse through the forum for some time and observe how scams are being performed, observe the lengths to which members try to track scammers, identify what types of items are prime for scamming, etc.  I think this would explain why the post count of so many scammers is so low. 

Ordinarily, I wouldn't expect a newbie who is truly fresh to the forum (e.g. they haven't scoped it out before becoming a member) to be confident enough to just immediately swing into the marketplace forum and start scamming.  Without the knowledge of how transactions on the forum operate, the risk would seem too great.  I didn't make my first transaction till about post 300 or so, and even then I had my doubts and still do.

I think if the marketplace wasn't visible, this would weed out a lot of potential scammers.  I think it would help ensure that people who join are those who are sincerely interested in Bitcoin and the Bitcoin community first.  Of course, there will still be those who realize how easy it is to scam after they join, but it may prevent those solely intent on scamming from the beginning from joining.

I still think the post count is important, though.  Or, as I suggested, a 'newb' marketplace sub-forum vs. a 'veteran' marketplace sub-forum.  Ultimately, I think post-count (i.e. the amount of time you invest in your scam) is the #1 correlating factor among scams.
c0ffer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 07:50:51 PM

That makes more sense to me now and could potentially work or at least help a little.

I also believe that there are people who are quality traders but may not post a lot on other topics or may only post in relation to the transactions they are doing.

It would be nice to have a feedback rating system. I have seen this on other forums with marketplace sections. My experience on other sites has been that feedback ratings (positive,negative,neutral) can be very helpful for deciding on whether to do business with someone.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 07:59:05 PM

That makes more sense to me now and could potentially work or at least help a little.

I also believe that there are people who are quality traders but may not post a lot on other topics or may only post in relation to the transactions they are doing.

It would be nice to have a feedback rating system. I have seen this on other forums with marketplace sections. My experience on other sites has been that feedback ratings (positive,negative,neutral) can be very helpful for deciding on whether to do business with someone.

Well, we have the "list of honest traders" thread, but unfortunately that doesn't stop people from making multiple accounts and then simply giving themselves positive feedback. 
c0ffer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 08:21:07 PM

The List of Honest Traders thread is okay, but still requires searching, etc.

With the feedback rating system you can quickly check someone's trading history and include that in your minimum qualifiers for trading. So if they have a minimum number of positive feedback ratings and no negatives then you might do business with them even if their post count is relatively low otherwise.

A person would have to set up a LOT of fake accounts to get anywhere fast. I have seen them typically tied into a person's profile.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 07:32:09 AM

Make people that want to trade in the marketplace send proof of identity to the forum admins. No proof - no thread.

How would the admins verify the proof?  Manipulating scanned images is absurdly easy.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: