Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:12:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving Eth To Receive Eth Scam  (Read 980 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
btctuxedo (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 01:53:10 PM

I am sure everyone who is into cryptocurrency will come across this "giving Eth to receive Eth" scam at least once when participating in a bounty campaign or doing research about a certain coin.

This is especially true when you browse through Twitter where there are fake twitter account pretending to be someone famous & asking unsuspecting victim to send out Eth in return for more Eth.

My question is, what do you suggest we can do to prevent our friends and family from falling prey into such scam? Do you use any software or add-on to block fake accounts from appearing on your Twitter timeline?

Hopefully Twitter will impose stricter rules for people from opening new accounts to stop this serious scam from becoming more serious.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zwei

Activity: 487
Merit: 536

All I need's a win.

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 11:13:44 PM

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is, to be honest only stupid people who fall for this kind of scam, and you should not rely on any software or add-on to protect you, use your brain, or close your twitter account.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:07:27 AM

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is, to be honest only stupid people who fall for this kind of scam, and you should not rely on any software or add-on to protect you, use your brain, or close your twitter account.

This is very true. Honestly, how can people fall for this?
On etherscan, latest comments at the bottom, there's always atleast one post about someone saying "this address is a scam".
While it's not always from these social-media related stuff, how difficult is it to realise that noone is giving away free stuff?
How many times has anyone actually done that? I mean, sure, some give away a few tokens or something..
but what time in recorded history has people been given "twice what they send" back, in any format - crypto, fiat, horses? never. (except for ponzi schemes maybe)
Raypok

Activity: 232
Merit: 13

PRiVCY -Mod

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2018, 11:34:28 AM

Only advise i good give regarding these scams is use your common sense, there's no free lunch. I keep telling that to my friends and family and hope they don't fall for it. Ow and i report every scam i come across on twitter immediately to the twitter moderators.

Be safe
apimembership

Activity: 448
Merit: 124

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 12:16:07 AM

don't expect someone to give you free money that should be the key for this kind of situation, just try to use regular method to have some income (trading, etc). There will be always much scam methods, people just need to know there is no free money without any effort.
Seetheummerallyeah

Activity: 280
Merit: 41

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 12:17:23 AM

If you get scammed by things like that, I'm sorry to say but you deserve it. A little bit of common sense can go a long way.
btctuxedo (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 06:37:04 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

Looks like Twitter has made the right decision to acquire Smyte to overcome this spam issue.

We’ve agreed to acquire Smyte, experts in safety, spam, and security, to help us in our efforts to improve the health of the public conversation on Twitter.

Strufmbae

Activity: 486
Merit: 27

HIRE ME FOR SMALL TASK

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 12:17:34 PM

There are scammers who also use fake accounts (poser accounts) like john mcafee.

if you always go with the trend,  you will not just believe mcafee,  why?  He shills product in exchange of money but not promoting the quality of the product if it really has the quality, and of course there are people who will always fall into that curse because mcafee is popular and a known person.

the problem is there are people who forget to distinguish what is the real account of mcafee and browse to the given links of the fake account and get to that pishing link.

In crypto industry there is no free.

Sanjeewa101

Activity: 280
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 01:10:53 AM

Any trusted project don't ask ETh for sending Eth or token  Which on airdrop or anything
daviost

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 05:17:06 AM

That is really scam.
If someone fall into this trap, just make it as an experience.

I feel sorry for it if it really happened to you.
there is no free money without some action/effort.
in the future, there is more scam/phising/the other way to make people lose their money. so just be careful
crypto_nd

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

Less troubles

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 04:47:12 PM

i have seen this couple time. the fact is they are playing on your greediness and ignorant. why give eth to recieve eth when you can just keep your eth and live peacefully instead of being greedy.   
InBTC4years

Activity: 58
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 06:10:48 PM

It's a classic scam that has existed long before crypto. I guess it works because all scams have been tried before and the scammers stop doing the ones that don't work. That is why we all get so much spam in our email...because people out there actually click on it. Who? I met one once...I was like don't click on that! People are dumb sometimes. But that doesn't mean it's your fault if you get scammed...it's the scammer's fault. But like someone said, it plays on your greed.

How Spam Works:

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/spam.htm

27 Scams to Avoid:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/may/02/27-common-scams-to-avoid

Scams Similar to the Send ETH to Get ETH Scams:

https://www.consumer.gov/articles/1019-money-wiring-scams

From what I see, bad people, most of them, have bad lives. Don't fear them, pity them.
Alex31207

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 11:13:42 PM

I've only met a few of these scams.Vitaly Buterin writes a message which asks you to send him 0.1 ETH.In return he will send 1 ETH. Scam old,no one now is not to cheat.Yet there is a Scam where you need to send 0 ETH what is the address and come coins.Here I did not understand what it is.The ETH Board will take
Kpmaline

Activity: 89
Merit: 3

2 da Moon

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:49:29 AM

wondering why this funny thing Only in Eth... their scam not in the other currencies ?

not only in twitter even in other social network... send 5 eth receive 10 Eth..
probably you won't believe 'em .. and think it's just a joke who's the idiot will trust them /Or fall in their trap and pay for,

but that's totally the truth if you scan the address.. then their scam scheme or their spam efforts are make sense..and many ppl
daily have a stolen Eth.. the question is.. Next time those ppl will learn and won't believe fake promises from scammers.. Or not ?

Other point.. you can prevent those scammers but unfortunate it's temporary won't stop their network.. many scammers everywhere
even in the real life.. but we can reduce that by spreading awareness through social media for ex;   
Kpmaline

Activity: 89
Merit: 3

2 da Moon

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:55:07 AM

I've only met a few of these scams.Vitaly Buterin writes a message which asks you to send him 0.1 ETH.In return he will send 1 ETH. Scam old,no one now is not to cheat.Yet there is a Scam where you need to send 0 ETH what is the address and come coins.Here I did not understand what it is.The ETH Board will take
Vitalik Buterin recently had changed his twitter official account name to Vitalik "Not giving away ETH" Buterin..
i think his Eth network attracted many fans of scammers 
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3056

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 02:27:37 AM

You don't need to be stupid to fall for a scam - same as being religious.  You just need to be gullible
Lightsource

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 02:47:41 AM

I can't imagine anyone being into tech falling for such a scam. They would have to be kind of too mentally slow to begin to use crypto. (No offense for anyone who fell for such scams and is reading this.)
Msworld83
Copper Member

Activity: 448

StableDex | Decentralized, Secure & Cost Effective

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2018, 09:00:21 AM

It's is very annoyed, that some fall for it but can we say this is because of greedy or ignorance, some noobs might for for it though but not should someone who has been in crypto for long fall for it and if that happen they he must be looking for quick rich which end up be scam, only thing we can do it to retweet or comment on such post with scam and that might save someone from it.
TurboRyzen

Activity: 66

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 06:18:13 AM

I receive a lot of scam phone call from people in India, Pakistan, those areas where the laws are not to strick on running such telephone scams.

I normally don't pick up, wonder why they keep calling, and imagine that they don't make any money at all, whatsoever. But I've been reading a lot on it, and it's very profitable. Apparently a lot of elderly people fall for such scams. Scam of, send us $1,000 so that we can send you $10,000.
feelingfroggy

Activity: 220
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 18, 2018, 10:22:24 PM

I would say in the end it's up to the individual to make an informed and wise decision however just that fact that we are speaking about it right now may give potential warning to a would be victim.  Also speak to your family and friends as much as possible about it if they are looking to get in. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: