Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:09:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it profitable "for bitcoin network" to solo mine ? (not for me !)  (Read 868 times)
Meuh6879 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:42:34 PM

Actually, i win 0,01 per week in a pool of mining.

But, i want to do something to help the bitcoin network ... so, solo mining is good for this network ?
(with no gain at all at the end for me, it's not a problem)

Is solo mining accelerate the network efficacity ?
Is solo mining help to integrate the low fee or erase dust transaction more quickly ?

Kiss
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:49:12 PM

Actually, i win 0,01 per week in a pool of mining.

But, i want to do something to help the bitcoin network ... so, solo mining is good for this network ?
(with no gain at all at the end for me, it's not a problem)

Is solo mining accelerate the network efficacity ?
Is solo mining help to integrate the low fee or erase dust transaction more quickly ?

Kiss
Pool mining is the pooling of resources to solo mine. If you earn 0.01 per week, you would help the network in about 5-10 years.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:59:39 PM

If you're solo mining, your computer fulfills two roles:
- a node that forwards only valid transactions
- a miner/hasher that tries to build blocks from new transactions and find a low enough hash
The first role is somewhat beneficial to the network, although it is typically server well enough by existing nodes, so your single node does not add significant value there, and it probably would not help much against a planned attack on the network.
The second role only has an effect when you actually find a block - which would indeed be a very rare occurrence, so its effect is neglectable. In addition, your miner would only have an effect on transaction fee if it employed a really different strategy for integrating low-fee transactions. You could configure it to prefer zero-fee transactions if you think they should be supported, but then once in a few years it would just include the few zero-fee transactions that would be present in the network at that time, which would not really have an effect on the processing of such transactions in general.

So in my opinion, solo mining does not make much sense. However, you could choose one of the smaller pools to make a 51% attack by a large pool less likely. Still even this does not have much effect, you need to accept the fact that your small hashing power does not make a large difference in the network, however you choose to use it.

Onkel Paul

Meuh6879 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:51:54 PM

Ok, it's clear. Thanks  Smiley
bitbitz

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:39:04 PM

No difference if you pool mine or solo mine I think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: