Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:43:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTENTION NEWBIES: ALT COIN WARNINGS  (Read 1900 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:11:40 PM

DO NOT BE CONNED INTO INVESTING INTO NEW ALTCOINS

99.9% of these coins are scams designed to lure unsuspecting newbies into buying them.

Scammers use many of the following methods to lure in people and trick them into investing time/money into these coins:

• Claim innovations when nothing is new
  • Use forum spambot/ sockpuppet accounts to make their coin appear popular(Astrocoin, Quarkcoin, etc.)
  • Use marketing techniques(Dogecoin)
  • Rare(low block reward) to trick you into thinking it will be worth something, while they mine them all with their immense hashing farms.
  • Premining for Giveaways and Bounties
  • Claim that services "are coming" and "big things are coming for this coin"
  • Encourage users to request their particular coin be listed on exchange. truly innovative coins never have to ask.
  • Fancy Logos/Websites/Lengthy Forum posts to fool you into thinking they will support it.

In addition, most of these supposed coin developers have no real programming experience. They simply read a guide made by someone else on the subject of compiling and making altcoins.

Please do not add to their victim list. You are only lining their pockets by allowing them to scam you into supporting their 10 minute copy paste clone coins. In addition, there is now a website which can create and compile these coins for a fee making it easier than ever for scammers to continue cranking out altcoins.

If things like this outrage you, you can join the petition to have the altcoin board removed or new coin listings banned from bitcointalk at the following thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=438043.msg4893075;boardseen#new

It is the best thing for the community. this has been allowed to go on for far to long and is a detriment to bitcoin and cryptocurrency legitimacy in general.

Thanks,
          r3wt

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

Trust me, they won't listen or care. All they want is to 'go to the moon'.
ltcifc

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:21:22 PM

You can't breath on the moon. Instant death.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:26:07 PM

You can't breath on the moon. Instant death.

There has been special apparatus developed to get around this.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

It still is better than gambling, and more fun.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:33:19 PM

I was gonna blast you, but you have Frankos in your sig so you get the pass. at least you support a good alt where the dev is reliable and committed.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
lynn_402

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:36:30 PM

I was gonna blast you, but you have Frankos in your sig so you get the pass. at least you support a good alt where the dev is reliable and committed.

Haha, not all altcoins are 100% scam, some developpers really put efforts in them, like Franko, so I believe that gives them value.
I'd never invest in completely useless coins like Mooncoin and Kittehcoin.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:40:09 PM

Haha, not all altcoins are 100% scam, some developpers really put efforts in them, like Franko, so I believe that gives them value.
I'd never invest in completely useless coins like Mooncoin and Kittehcoin.

good to know. Dogecoin is also crap and i highly advise you to stay away from Astrocoin and QRK as well.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:41:25 PM

What makes Franco coin any different from a lot of these alts? Not hating, but I haven't seen anything that makes Franco a worthwhile or notable coin contender.
lynn_402

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:43:30 PM

Advise acknowledged. But although Dogecoin's overvalued right now, I think it has a high mid-term potential, because of its community. It actually sent a bobsleigh team at the Olympics.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:44:35 PM

What makes Franco coin any different from a lot of these alts? Not hating, but I haven't seen anything that makes Franco a worthwhile or notable coin contender.

Its been around a long time, and the developer is still active, having added the gravity well to the coin like many other scrypt coins have. I know the dev personally, and he's pretty much devoted to Franko. in the contrast, most of these other coin devs create a coin pump n dump and start again. they never stick around to support it.

lynn_402

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:45:07 PM

The Kimoto Gravity Well. It's an algorithm that makes Franko non-profitable to multipools.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:45:41 PM

Advise acknowledged. But although Dogecoin's overvalued right now, I think it has a high mid-term potential, because of its community. It actually sent a bobsleigh team at the Olympics.

thats just internet marketing. As soon as it sees any real value, everyone who thinks with the mind set you do will have already dumped their coins. IF that doesn't happen, the novelty will well off and it will die anyway.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:04:58 PM

Its been around a long time, and the developer is still active, having added the gravity well to the coin like many other scrypt coins have. I know the dev personally, and he's pretty much devoted to Franko. in the contrast, most of these other coin devs create a coin pump n dump and start again. they never stick around to support it.

What do you think of Mega? Didn't they create that gravity well?
lynn_402

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:08:20 PM

thats just internet marketing. As soon as it sees any real value, everyone who thinks with the mind set you do will have already dumped their coins. IF that doesn't happen, the novelty will well off and it will die anyway.

Isn't successful internet marketing what matters the most, in an internet-based economy?
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:09:28 PM

What do you think of Mega? Didn't they create that gravity well?

I used to be harsh on megacoin. i still think it unfairly rewarded early adopters, but its still a good coin with alot of support. Its far from a scam, but peple need to know that it already has a considerable amount of its supply minted, so mining now will not make you rich unless you have considerable hash or money to invest.

r3wt (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

Isn't successful internet marketing what matters the most, in an internet-based economy?

Only if you're the one trying to get rich. If you're a common person its the trap designed to ensnare your yuppie ass.

ltcifc

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:26:12 PM

Im ALL IN with Infinitecoin.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:28:10 PM

Im ALL IN with Infinitecoin.