Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:54:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this how bitcoin will finally take it's true place on the totem pole?  (Read 150 times)
CryptAssist (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:30:33 AM

So the reason why BTC is always the dominant digital currency, and the same reason why the altcoins follow price, is due to it being the primary trading pair. Eth is the second biggest trading pair, and no wonder it's in second place. With this in mind, when new coins are created, they should be interchangeable with a larger variety of currencies to which will help balance the shared volatility. How can this be done?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atrocityx

Activity: 336
Merit: 71

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:27:08 AM

First of all, you are right about Bitcoin and Ethereum... their biggest use case is definitely being a liaison between the altcoin markets and cash.. and that will likely never change.  I kind of agree with your statement but let me clarify one thing just in case its getting lost in translation... Lets say for example you have a USDT pair for every token on an exchange instead of just Bitcoin and Ethereum... (I see this argument a lot in various alt coin telegrams because they want bitcoin to stop wrecking their investment)... this won't work because arbitrage bots will sense the Alt/USDT -> USDT/BTC -> Alt/BTC unnatural gap and correct it. Whatever is gonna be your "stable coin" must not also have a pair in BTC because this will happen no matter how you pair it.   If you just mean not a USDT or a TruUSD pair and just mean simply changing all coins to something else, that is already achieved through Changelly or Airswap.
eminemcookie

Activity: 364
Merit: 123

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 10:15:22 AM

If Binance (they claim they will) and others later add fiat/crypto pairs then this can cut down some of the dominance we say in bitcoin and ethereum but I don't think it will mean that they are not no 1 and no 2. It's right to assume their price is inflated slightly because of all of the funds that are trafficked through them in order to purchase and sell alt-coins but it's not the sole reason that they have large market capitalizations.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
Telegram   Medium   GitHub   Twitter   Reddit   LinkedIn   Facebook
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 10:18:49 AM

For this to be done, exchanges would have to implement a HUGE amount of trading pairs, which is probably quite irrelevant since those lower-ranked coins has a significantly lower percentage of people using them. People mostly use BTC, ETH, LTC, BCH, and XRP; hence the reason why these coins are used in trading pairs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 11:38:37 AM

So the reason why BTC is always the dominant digital currency, and the same reason why the altcoins follow price, is due to it being the primary trading pair. Eth is the second biggest trading pair, and no wonder it's in second place. With this in mind, when new coins are created, they should be interchangeable with a larger variety of currencies to which will help balance the shared volatility. How can this be done?

I dont think that it would incrise other altcoin valaue. As i understand you right You think that when for example iota will be pared with eos it will incere iota and eos price? I dont think that it would change that much.

you are right that all alts fallow bitcoin and it has biggest volume, but i dont see a problem to overtake bitcoin in marketcap without overtaking it in volume. Currently when 90% volumen is traded in pair ALT/BTC all alts fallow bitcoin price because its price is based on 2 factors. BTC price and multiplier. Multiplier depends on performance of altcoin (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4444348.msg39704417#msg39704417 here i explained it further). If performacne of altcoin will be good enought i dont see a reason why multiplier would not be hight enought to make marketcap higher than bitcoin.

Investors cames to this market with USD, then they buy BTC and invest it to alts. Making extra alt/alt pair wont change that. Making extra alt/usd pair could possibly help, but i dont think that it will be a reson for huge gains.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 11:46:53 AM

I am sorry to disappoint you but the bitter truth is that the altcoin that you are bag holding is dying and all the people who are dumping it are also pulling bitcoin down with that sinking ship. look at its trading volume you can see how huge it is today. that is because of all the panic sells that have been taking place in the past 30+ hours as people are pushing the big red dump button on your altcoin. Roll Eyes

Only Bitcoin
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 11:52:46 AM

I am sorry to disappoint you but the bitter truth is that the altcoin that you are bag holding is dying and all the people who are dumping it are also pulling bitcoin down with that sinking ship. look at its trading volume you can see how huge it is today. that is because of all the panic sells that have been taking place in the past 30+ hours as people are pushing the big red dump button on your altcoin. Roll Eyes

I love panic my friend Smiley That gives the best oportunity to earn. Bigger the panic is bigger the rebounce is. Thats why i sell when everyone is dreaming about lambos and buy when everyone is screeming "please grab my coins for free, they are useless"
idex100

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 11:57:14 AM

Bitcoin will always occupy a place of dominance in cryptocurrencies whether or not it is used as a trading pair or not.Tether USD is used as a trading pair but seem to enjoy as much patronage as bitcoin pairing.Having altcoins pair with other top currencies will in a way provide alternative to traders.
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 12:10:18 PM

Bitcoin will always occupy a place of dominance in cryptocurrencies whether or not it is used as a trading pair or not.Tether USD is used as a trading pair but seem to enjoy as much patronage as bitcoin pairing.Having altcoins pair with other top currencies will in a way provide alternative to traders.

Traders trade with usd pairs (usd gain) or btc pairs (btc gain) i dont think that there are manny traders that will trade for example omg pair (form omg gains) even if it will be possible. Mayby there are 2 traders on the world that miss that and cant w8 for it to be possible Smiley.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 01:05:06 PM

Things are actually beginning to get crazier than most of us even anticipated but I guess it is what it is. I guess the whales are simply having a filled day doing their thing and sure looks like the volume just keeps increasing further as the ship is being pulled down like you said.

I feel though that the introduction of fiat as trading pair for some of the coins in the market will really be of help but that would mean most exchanges getting strictly regulated, and some coins being out of the market completely. Whenever we move into fiat or banking system then we may lose the forces of true decentralization which will not ensure what bitcoin's abstract originally emphasized.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 07:43:20 AM

For this to be done, exchanges would have to implement a HUGE amount of trading pairs, which is probably quite irrelevant since those lower-ranked coins has a significantly lower percentage of people using them. People mostly use BTC, ETH, LTC, BCH, and XRP; hence the reason why these coins are used in trading pairs.
Right, trading pairs is totally determined by how the coins are being used, but from the look of things though, it seems, most of these coins are simply just going to end up in the shadow of these coins eventually and would give them a hard time to be sustainable in the long run, except for some of them anyway. I am not sure how things would end up playing out with fiat, but I believe that should also bring about some difference for the market in this category.
gamalzour

Activity: 566
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:36:42 AM

If Binance (they claim they will) and others later add fiat/crypto pairs then this can cut down some of the dominance we say in bitcoin and ethereum but I don't think it will mean that they are not no 1 and no 2. It's right to assume their price is inflated slightly because of all of the funds that are trafficked through them in order to purchase and sell alt-coins but it's not the sole reason that they have large market capitalizations.
Exactly, as I believe the fiat to crypto trading pair introduction will actually make things to be a lot more interesting in the long run. So far, there is just so much effect that bitcoin most especially have on the market and I am a big fan of bitcoin, but it seems the altcoins are just going to keep getting choked to death until they can stand on their own and traders will always be able to choose what to invest in based on that and not based on the movement of bitcoin alone.
cola-jere

Activity: 665
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:56:47 AM

The reason why exchanges use BTC and ETH as trading pairs is due to liquidity. Almost everyone will accept ETH or BTC in exchange for the other alts that they own. I'm not sure how and why exchanges will pair other alts other than BTC, ETH or USDT as they might have liquidity issues.
BlueStackz
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:26:30 AM

We are getting to see some of this getting implemented with other pairs in some new exchanges as I have seen some using LTC and even doge as a pair.

I am not sure how this would lead or end up, but I feel this would really be bringing up a lot of discrepancies somehow and why not just have one single currency as a pair or maybe have USD or other common fiat as pairs so as to be able to give some of the altcoins the opportunity to stand on their own without having to be too dependent so much on the movement of btc.
zxl912157

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 03:37:55 AM

But I don't think it is as full as that.
We can see when there is an Altcoins listing on the Exchange Binance, Upbit is usually the price goes up immediately.

My experience yesterday saw AdToken who was originally the price of 200 Satoshi, after listing at Upbit the price was 800 Satoshi.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: