Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:52:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocked At What Alt Coins Are For  (Read 3111 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 07:52:08 PM

Even Litecoin is a scam

I would remind you many people to this day think Bitcoin is a scam.

At some point though that probably doesn't matter. I think Bitcoin has reached that point, and so has Litecoin.

At least Bitcoin doesn't have dozens of security, reseller, and bitcoin miner hosting outfits all attached to some vaporware bitcoin miner hardware supplier backed by a myriad of pseudonyms, each vetting each other. Oh, wait! Let me try this: At least Bitcoin doesn't have...

~TMIBTCITW

Great post, there PG!

I LOVE IT!

My $.02.

Wink

<I edited the original post>

Actually, it would be fuckin' funny if it weren't true. Then again...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:31:35 PM

yatsey87 thinks he is going to be making substantial gains.  Quite possibly he will be a big loser.

lolwat? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this thread  Huh.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 09:37:45 PM

This makes no sense.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cakeboss

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 10:00:55 PM

All cryptocoins can be (and are) used for speculation, gambling, scamming etc. If there only was one cryptocoin it could be dismissed as a fad or whatever, but because there now are several somewhat successful cryptocoins the concept is much more difficult to dismiss.
(However the real reason for creating an altcoin is simply because it's possible.)
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 11:43:48 PM

Crypto was CREATED to be about money.

Crypto IS about money.

Crypto will ALWAYS be about money.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:38:53 AM

Even Litecoin is a scam

I would remind you many people to this day think Bitcoin is a scam.

At some point though that probably doesn't matter. I think Bitcoin has reached that point, and so has Litecoin.

Shut up and watch the Superbowl!!  Go Peyton!!
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:32:32 AM

Litecoin is not a scam , It's has a real dev team. All these pump and dump coins copy Litecoin and add nothing new.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
Ed4252

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:54:07 AM

Litecoin is not a scam , It's has a real dev team. All these pump and dump coins copy Litecoin and add nothing new.

What other coins besides litecoin isn't pump and dump? What about Peercoin and Worldcoin?
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:18:35 PM

Crypto IS about money.

My $.02.

Wink

Yes, but it should be a revolutionary form, not just a get rich quick scheme for idiots.
travel-trousers

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:39:54 PM

Just don't be on the wrong train when it stops.... :p
Caesar V

Activity: 369

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:43:01 PM

Wow, when I see threads like this, I always feel so good about myself because others must have the IQ of a goat.

Either that or the trolling in the alt section is glorious.
FoBoT

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:50:35 PM

how many of you are still using the first version of windows (or iOS or first distro of linux) that you ever used? do we still use visicalc on DOS ? or maybe some have upgraded to a new version of MS Excel?

crypto is software. and software always has an upgrade and new version in the pipe as well as competing 'clones' that accomplish the same purpose. if bitcoin is still being used 30 years from now with no Major upgrades or revisions or competition from other versions, it would be the first time in software history.
i think people who are "bitcoin purists" and believe all alt coins are "the work of the devil" either don't understand software or maybe they just think this will be the first time ever that a piece of software stays on the original version and doesn't get successfully cloned or improved upon by others.
thejepper

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:56:09 PM

What other coins besides litecoin isn't pump and dump? What about Peercoin and Worldcoin?

peercoin was one of the first with the revolutionary idea of PoS mining implemented. Lower power use and a safer network. completely fair start as well. No buy-in a-la NXT.
WDC is one of the first fast coins, in 50 seconds you usually have 1-2 confirmations.

Alt-coins are a breeding ground for new idea's Smiley
Some coins will survive and thrive on their own, and probably some idea's will feed back into btc.

jdh015232

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:57:16 PM

how many of you are still using the first version of windows (or iOS or first distro of linux) that you ever used? do we still use visicalc on DOS ? or maybe some have upgraded to a new version of MS Excel?

crypto is software. and software always has an upgrade and new version in the pipe as well as competing 'clones' that accomplish the same purpose. if bitcoin is still being used 30 years from now with no Major upgrades or revisions or competition from other versions, it would be the first time in software history.
i think people who are "bitcoin purists" and believe all alt coins are "the work of the devil" either don't understand software or maybe they just think this will be the first time ever that a piece of software stays on the original version and doesn't get successfully cloned or improved upon by others.
it will happen with time no matter what
theirs really no other way rite now for new devs to get their hands on this software and work with it to find new/useful ways to utilize it than to make their own coin and go from their
learn from experience
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:03:41 PM

Unfortunately, because there is so much saturation with all sorts of alt-coins, the instinct of getting money or recapturing ROI tends to bubble to the surface as the main priority since it costs money to mine. That's why people are so easy to say that the markets will sort out the winners and losers, but this isn't necessarily the case as people have mined and dumped coins with some innovation.

There have been several coins that have brought something new to the table, but as many of us know, innovation isn't the only driving factor. Fundamental sociological and psychological aspects are also key market drivers.

That being said in terms of a financial motives, yes, alts unfortunately serve the basis of being somebody's profit mechanism. The problem is that with the influx of alt currencies, people can't help but drift away from the revolutionary aspects of cryptocurrencies and instead use it as a means of profit.
thejepper

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:04:20 PM

it will happen with time no matter what
theirs really no other way rite now for new devs to get their hands on this software and work with it to find new/useful ways to utilize it than to make their own coin and go from their
learn from experience

the question is how flexible the bitcoin dev team will be with implementing new idea's

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:06:27 PM

Crypto IS about money.

My $.02.

Wink

Yes, but it should be a revolutionary form, not just a get rich quick scheme for idiots.

Yeah, but let's be honest, the masses aren't interested in a revolution. Most people are just interested in having the status quo that they are comfortable with, but at the same time doing what they can to get a little more of the piece of the pie.

And sometimes, clear stupidity gets the better of people. Just look at how many MLMs have succeeded in the past...
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

Can't believe I read through two pages of replies, covered with lots of "Hero members", and not a single person has a grasp of why altcoins are needed and HAVE to exist.  Let me quote myself:

Anyone that supports bit-fascism/authoritarianism, meaning Bitcoin as the only dominant, official currency, can't be trusted as far as you can throw them.  Centralization of power created in that manner is no different than the system we already have now.  What happens if Bitcoin is the only currency and the govt takes it over?  They can appoint Ben Bernanke to lead it, force new fork updates to inflate the number to Dogecoin levels, redirect transaction fees to be sent straight to the IRS wallet, etc.

Bitcoin as the only currency has the potential to be a more Orwellian nightmare than the economic system we have now.  There has to be lots of competitors to have a free market, to prevent government from monopolizing it.

Beware of the current Bitcoin devs/Satoshi wannabes.  Their outward hostility to any coin besides Bitcoin truly shows they are either completely corrupt, or oblivious to the point I make in the paragraph above.  They cannot be trusted for this reason.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Isildur23

Activity: 178

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:18:42 PM

Obviusly some alt coins have incredibly useful features. Problem is that speculators start some childish black marketing against all the coins in which they didn't invest... Eventually they(or most of them) will give up and admit that these features will be part of the revolution. 

Ties are a prison for the soul...
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 09:30:54 PM

Not to be flip but if you want to change the World, join the Peace Corps.

If you want to make money, get into crypto.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: