Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:36:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't connect to my RPC server  (Read 2766 times)
btran3 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:28:25 PM

Please help!

I am trying to setup a bitcoin RPC server for my website. I can not for the life of me get a connection from my host. I have opened the ports on the router and firewall (gone as far as using DMZ and completely disabling firewall). My bitcoin.conf is as follows:

server=1
rpcuser=testme
rpcpassword=password123
rpcallowip=*

I have messed with many other configurations too such as daemon=1, rpcport=8332, etc, to no avail. I also tried using bitcoind through command prompt instead of using bitcoin-qt. I can see my pc listening on port 8333 when I use netstat -a. I can also see the port is open using: http://www.yougetsignal.com as well.

I tried using blockchain.info's rpc options and it connected immediately so I know it is not a problem with my script. I have done all this on Windows computers and am willing to try Linux if I must but I don't see how that could possibly be the issue. I have tried setting up the server on two separate machines in two different locations as well. My web host has a dedicated IP and I tried using that IP in rpcallowip instead of the asterisk.

Someone please help!
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cudjex

Activity: 507
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:03:56 PM

I guess you can use a linode or digitalocean VPS. It's more stable and useful for you.
btran3 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

Is there a reason I can't host my own though? I can remote desktop and host websites from home. I don't see why this shouldn't work.
btran3 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:49:23 PM

Ok I've rented a VPS at digital ocean. Still can't get bitcoind to accept remote rpc requests. I never thought this would be so difficult.
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:21:30 PM

Can you try with rpcallowip=0.0.0.0, not *, I've never heard of * being used ever to define an IP address.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
btran3 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:39:34 PM

Sure I'll try that, I got rpcallowip=* from answer 3 here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6018304/how-do-i-make-bitcoind-listen-on-0-0-0-08332

I should mention I also have an rpcallowip for the dedicated IP of my web host as well. I'll give 0.0.0.0 a try.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:08:04 PM

I should mention I also have an rpcallowip for the dedicated IP of my web host as well. I'll give 0.0.0.0 a try.

rpcallowip=your.routers.ip.address

If I read you question correctly?

You need to know your routers IP and set this as the rpcallowip in the bitcoin.conf if the bitcoin.conf is on your webhost (digital ocean)

But if your bitcoin.conf is on your home machine, you need to add your webhosts IP address in rpcallowip=your.hosts.ip.address (but I don't think this is what you have)

Use whatsmyip.org to find your routers IP

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
btran3 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:30:06 PM

Let me clear this up. Originally I was trying to host the bitcoin wallet (bitcoin.conf) at home but gave up figuring it must be some kind of port issue. I now have a VPS at digitalocean.com hosting the bitcoind server. The website itself is hosted at hostwinds.com and has a dedicated IP that I paid for.

My web host has no problem at all accessing blockchain.info's RPC API. Any attempt to make my own bitcoin RPC server available remotely has failed.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:55:24 PM

I now have a VPS at digitalocean.com hosting the bitcoind server.

This has the bitcoin.conf, you need to add your hostwinds.com dedicated IP address to rpcallowip=the.hostwinds.ip.you.paid.for into the bitcoin.conf

This will allow your hostwinds site to access the digital oceans bitcoind

(well that's the theory)

you can also add rpcport=someportnumber  if you needed to use a different port.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
btran3 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:31:58 PM

I actually figured it out. What a headache. It appears that my host was blocking outgoing requests on "non standard ports" aka port 8332. I changed my port to 587 and walla, worked right away. Thanks for all the help anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: