Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:31:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Coins Right After Getting Vanity Address  (Read 5078 times)
Banksy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:21:40 PM

I realise that and the loss of 7 BTC has been an expensive lesson.  Hopefully this is a warning to others, would be nice to be 100% certain that it is due to that website that I have lost the coins though

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 01:52:48 PM

Just like to bump this, exact same thing happened to me after using https://bitcoinvanity.appspot.com

I imported the new address into blockchain.info and secured with 2FA and email login approval.  7 BTC lost withdrawn to a random address over the past weekend.
It may sound a bit harsh but it's your own fault. I have advised a legit, secure and good working vanity pool above...
I don't know how legit bitcoinvanity.appspot.com is, but it doesn't seem secure if you ask me. You don't need to create extra randomness to get a vanity address. I don't even know how that would help.

I do feel bad for you. Losing 7BTC sucks.

I realise that and the loss of 7 BTC has been an expensive lesson.  Hopefully this is a warning to others, would be nice to be 100% certain that it is due to that website that I have lost the coins though
My bet would be on the vanity site you used, because your other wallets are fine.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Banksy

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:57:50 PM

I couldn't agree more, and to be honest Ive no excuse other than I was too impatient to run the software myself
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:00:26 PM

My bet would be on the vanity site you used, because your other wallets are fine.

IF your other wallets are fine then it's a good chance that the problem was with the website.
pissedatbitlaunder

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:17:44 PM

This is a sad situation.  It is hard enough for cryptocurrencies to gain legitimacy without all of the BS that scammers pull.  I had a similar situation with bitlaunder.com.  All of my coins have evaporated and the owner of the site, while he has finally contacted me back called me absurd. 

Checkout my original post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=453671.0

Is there an email address or other way we can bombard the site you used with emails.  If we all can come together, help and support each other, we can maybe drive some of this BS out of the equation.
pissedatbitlaunder

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

***UPDATE***

Mr. Moriarty just got in touch with me. 

I have to say that he is in the process of making things right with me.  He owed me .3234 BTC.  After a couple of back and forth emails, we agreed to the following.  I would remove the negative rating and he would deposit .20 BTC in my account.  Which he has done.  Further, once I update the posts I have made and let folks know the outcome, he will then release the balance of .1234 BTC to me.

After having talked with Mr. Moriarty, I was informed that somehow my account was hacked.  He does seem to be quite busy working to contain the situation.  The fact that he is reimbursing me out of his own pocket, in my opinion, does speak volumes to this man's character.

Bitlaunder.com seems to be making the effort to correct things.
LunarLuna

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:57:27 AM

this story is unfortunate
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:25:27 PM

*https://bitcoinvanity.appspot.com/  < the site I used.  I am NOT accusing them!
Just like to bump this, exact same thing happened to me after using https://bitcoinvanity.appspot.com

Indeed, someone has accused the site stole bitcoin from users back in Aug 2013.
FYR: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=278769.0
rizzn

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:20:48 AM

I don't know why this didn't pop up when I initially researched the site. Just lost 2.3+ BTC today to this site.

I made a reddit post on this topic.

You can upvote it here if you're so inclined: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y7upu/bitcoinvanityappspotcom_is_not_secure_and/
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:26:59 AM

I don't know why this didn't pop up when I initially researched the site. Just lost 2.3+ BTC today to this site.

You can upvote it here if you're so inclined: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y7upu/bitcoinvanityappspotcom_is_not_secure_and/

Sad to hear your loss...
BTW, if you did a google search with "bitcoinvanity", you will find the thread I linked in my last post.
rizzn

Activity: 108

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:18:45 AM

Sad to hear your loss...
BTW, if you did a google search with "bitcoinvanity", you will find the thread I linked in my last post.

Yeah - not sure why, but Google buried the results below the official threads and other unrelated sites when I looked prior to using it.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 11:04:26 AM

I've looked through the site and can't find any abuse contact info; in fact their TOS doesn't have anything about no abuse allowed. Irresponsible to allow unfettered content from anony users and have no abuse contact. Possibly the most efficient way to have it killed is to have someone with any copyright standing for any similar code (or that used behind the scenes such as vanitygen) issue a DMCA takedown request, which Google will have to comply with to maintain safe harbor.
oriel2

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 12:19:28 AM

Why need those vanity address. You are just creating another hole to your security. QT is enough and use a new clean install pc with only antivirus on it besides bitcoin and never use it other than storing your bitcoins.

How many people (average joe not tech mad) have a spare PC laying around doing nothing?!
Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:40:07 PM

Why need those vanity address. You are just creating another hole to your security. QT is enough and use a new clean install pc with only antivirus on it besides bitcoin and never use it other than storing your bitcoins.

How many people (average joe not tech mad) have a spare PC laying around doing nothing?!

Maybe a very old pc or laptop?

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:15:35 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 08:30:00 PM by Gator-hex

Maybe a very old pc or laptop?

Don't let anyone create an address for you, they will have a copy of your private key! If you don't exclusively own the private key you don't own the coins!

Install Ubuntu OS, install Bitcoin-QT, encrypt your wallet with a password after making it, use that OS for nothing else but accessing your coins. (It'll even install on the same hard drive as windows if you don't have two PCs.) If you want to use an alt-coin wallet make another user account and keep them separated!

http://www.ubuntu.com/download
https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

Vanity addresses are safe if they are generated in the right way. Yes, even if multiple people work on it.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:07:26 AM

Sorry to hear that.  Pretty much never let someone else generate a private key for you.  You can just run vanitygen on your own computer if you reaaaly need one.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
desii1 (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:21:07 PM

Sorry to hear your loss.
You should have downloaded Vanitygen and run it offline instead.

Where can I get a compiled, trusted, windows version of vanitygen?   All I find is the code.
hjbuell

Activity: 70

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 09:44:42 PM

Just get a Vanity address, import it into Blockchain, and then have them 'sweep' the address for you into a non-vanity address. That way your coins are not compromised, because they are never in the vanity address long enough to be cleaned out, yet you're still able to use the address.

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:53:57 PM

Vanity addresses are safe if they are generated in the right way. Yes, even if multiple people work on it.

Bitcoin Info, would you please go into this a little more or point me somewhere?  I though if anyone else generated your vanity that they would have the private keys to it.  Is the solution the "sweep" approach?

Thanks!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: