Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox.  (Read 3197 times)
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 05:11:46 PM

Incraft, maybe you should contact mtgox in irc and ask him why he requires the documents from you. Maybe someone sent stolen funds to you which you sent to mtgox.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
incraft3817 (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 05:11:56 PM

don't forget; Bitcoin is a new concept and is in a highly evolving state.  anything to keep the doors open at Mtgox is worth it for now.  not ideal, but necessary i'm afraid.

personally i wouldn't make a big deal about it.  if you're making a profit doing this i would stick with it even if it means revealing your identity.  not too many Bitcoin businesses are making a profit at this moment.  and if it gets big, like i'm betting, if you're one of the last guys standing still in business your upside will be enormous.

I don't have a problem giving them my ID and proof of address as I did with Paxum. Paxum didn't get hacked and Mtgox got hacked. Who do you trust more? What happens if they get hacked again. Have you heard of Identity theft?

i clearly trust mtgox more.  i've moved way more money thru them than you i assure you and never had a problem.  the hack has made him stronger and what i see now in terms of security is much better than before.  he also has history; of being a strong supporter of the bit coin concept from the beginning as well as being charitable in helping out others in the community.

This still doesn't explain why he asked for ID/proof of address after the customer register an account with mtgox. Being trustworthy is being honest, not deceiving your customers into putting btc/usd into your company and then ask them if you want your funds, give me your ID/proof of address.
incraft3817 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 05:12:57 PM

Incraft, maybe you should contact mtgox in irc and ask him why he requires the documents from you. Maybe someone sent stolen funds to you which you sent to mtgox.

Ok. I will. Thanks.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2011, 05:25:33 PM

Ok. I will. Thanks.

quick tip- log into the #mtgox channel, send him a personal query and wait like an hour or two. He will respond.
If your on eastern time, I've found 10pm-2am is a pretty good time as its morning for him and hes not so busy yet.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
incraft3817 (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 05:27:07 PM

He's probably sleeping right now. It's night time in Tokyo.  Sad
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 09:26:14 PM

This still doesn't explain why he asked for ID/proof of address after the customer register an account with mtgox. Being trustworthy is being honest, not deceiving your customers into putting btc/usd into your company and then ask them if you want your funds, give me your ID/proof of address.

MtGox and TradeHill both started out pretty much arguing that financial services regulations didn't apply to them because Bitcoin's legal status hadn't been legally defined anywhere.  Each of them has encountered issues since then because of adopting that stance and it's likely that they'll be required to become compliant with local laws in more jurisdictions as time passes.  The period of time during which they were able to get away without complying with such laws was a bonus for them and their customers, but it was naive to believe it would continue long-term.

Should both companies have realised at the outset that they would eventually have issues with financial services regulations and AML laws?  Absolutely - and I suspect that they did realise that eventually their compliance would be required but they just didn't know when.  To the extent that they're requiring either account or identity verification in order to comply with the law, users have little legitimate cause for complaint - the risk of the exchange bank accounts containing user deposits being frozen indefinitely if they're non-compliant is very real and always has been.

It's also possible that MtGox has taken this measure in response to attempted fraudulent withdrawals.  God knows there have been enough threads posted here about people's MtGox accounts being the subject of unauthorised withdrawals that it would be irresponsible of them to not have measures in place to address that particular issue.  The bigger the exchanges become and the more they're turning over, the more they're going to have to implement systems which automatically take actions in respect of user accounts and then manually review those actions if necessary.  It's unlikely that MtGox knows what's going on with any particular user account unless it's flagged in some way by their system.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Hm.. here's my two bitcents:

Scan your ID-papers and utility bill(s), then you censor (with a black block), those parts of the identification that makes it possible to commit identity theft. For instance, in some countries, having the full personal identification number may be enough to do a lot of fraud. I personally know people who has submitted ID-papers to mtGox, and have censored certain parts of these documents, yet they've had their limits lifted.

That may be one option for you.

Apart from that, it appears that mtGox is working hard for the community, and for bitcoin in general, and if you don't like their business practises, you can also use other exchanges.
incraft3817 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 03:38:04 AM

He fixed the problem and he is a good guy. System is automated for phising. Everything is aok!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 03:47:20 AM

He fixed the problem and he is a good guy. System is automated for phising. Everything is aok!

great!  now change the title of this thread to reflect that.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 09:56:53 AM

where did you end up communicating with him? email? irc?

i got an email today saying 'account under review' because i hadn't sent ID yet, but i was always keeping under their withdrawal limits.

so apparently you need to send ID eventually anyway even if you stay under the limits.

sent the docs electronically, hopefully i don't need to snail mail japan.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: