Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:22:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Quark is a loser in 2014, Doge is a winner, and how this relates to Vertcoin  (Read 6816 times)
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:08:16 PM

Your article made me want to buy BTC and dump doge.  Doge may get used more, as it looks like a survivor at this point, but without the limit on the number of coins you would always be better off holding bitcoin.

The Doge developers should have done what they said they were going to do and cap it at the 100 billion.  Even that is probably too many coins.

I understand the benefits of inflation and would have had no objection to them not having a cap, but you should do what you say you are.
Iter

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:10:24 PM

dogecoin mined 6.5% (12B) in 3 days. there is no way dogecoin should be a long-term "valid" currency. Early speculators who own millions of the coin are jumping up and down sucking in newbs. If you're a newb that bought a couple million of these... sry mate you got suckered.

as for quarkcoin, sure it also had an early high reward but this was over many weeks (if not months). It wasn't a 3-day sucker like dogecoin

lastly dogecoin = scrypt, not unique, clone, built for the gpu farms. quarkcoin = cpu, unique algorithm built for the masses.  The gpu farm guys absolutely mined the @#$ out of dogecoin in the first 3 days.

In short, the gpu guys took your dogecoin, your btc, and probably your kitty cats when you weren't looking.

Quark algorithm is not unique, it was stolen from Sif coin.

Lies. " Sifcoin authors did not add a copyright notice. I ADDED a copright notice for Sifcoin to acknowledge their contribution. Baritus did the opposite and removed the Quark copyright notice." This came from Quarks dev himself.

Also Quark is different than sifcoin.

1. Instead of 6 rounds of hashing, 9 rounds of hashing, with 3 of the rounds applying a random hash algorithm.
2. Different difficulty adjustment algorithm.
3. Different reward calculation algorithm.
4. Quark supports transaction comments (similar to Florin). This functionality will be exposed in the UI and RPC interface in a future release.

Go spread fud somewhere else.

lol, so if I created a coin right now and used that same algorithm but added 10 rounds of hashing instead of 9, my coin would be considered unique? That's just silly.

VTC > LTC
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:18:46 PM

What a bunch of bollocks from OP. It's clear he is trying to spread fud to promote his own coin. He probably fears Quark since it's a contender and is growing rapidly.
That's why he is desperately trying to bash it.

First of all, your doubts are pretty much debunked in this thread. Here someone has similar questions like you without being an ass. http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/comments/1wupg6/those_of_you_who_mine_quarkcoin_why/

Second QRK is designed to give less emphasis on mining incentive due to its rat-race of over emphasis on mining (Bitcoin's mining arm-race) which is not the only main reason that a currency exist. Also it makes the constant dumping by miners less effective because of it's model.
Mining has become controversial and sensitive issue due to rat-race of rich miners (ASIC rigs cost 10-15K), environmental hazards, PnD scheme etc. Mining is just an aspect of coin's feature not a zero-sum game. That's why Doge is desperately trying to change their algorithm to scrypt-jane because of their fear for asics, guess what Quark already thought about that and didn't just blindly copy and past LTC to regret it after.

Quarks distribution model is genius, because it needs a low daily maintenance cost to keep it's current price. Even if it would hit $1 now, it would only need $11,000 to maintain it's price, even less when the block reward halves. Again this is made possible by it's well thought economic model, where doge does horribly since it needs over $1million to maintain it's price, that's why it crashed from 230 to 130 causing many naif investors to get burned, because of it's flaws. They cared more about tricking people into believing that they have many coins which is causing problems right now.

Doge is just Feathercoin 2.0 with tight spreads and big sell walls, making it very hard to bypass. Without a meme it would have been faded into obscurity. Quarks infrastructure and community is only growing. Get your flaming elsewhere shibe.

This, these damn shibes are gettng annoying.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:40:11 PM

dogecoin mined 6.5% (12B) in 3 days. there is no way dogecoin should be a long-term "valid" currency. Early speculators who own millions of the coin are jumping up and down sucking in newbs. If you're a newb that bought a couple million of these... sry mate you got suckered.

as for quarkcoin, sure it also had an early high reward but this was over many weeks (if not months). It wasn't a 3-day sucker like dogecoin

lastly dogecoin = scrypt, not unique, clone, built for the gpu farms. quarkcoin = cpu, unique algorithm built for the masses.  The gpu farm guys absolutely mined the @#$ out of dogecoin in the first 3 days.

In short, the gpu guys took your dogecoin, your btc, and probably your kitty cats when you weren't looking.

Quark algorithm is not unique, it was stolen from Sif coin.

Lies. " Sifcoin authors did not add a copyright notice. I ADDED a copright notice for Sifcoin to acknowledge their contribution. Baritus did the opposite and removed the Quark copyright notice." This came from Quarks dev himself.

Also Quark is different than sifcoin.

1. Instead of 6 rounds of hashing, 9 rounds of hashing, with 3 of the rounds applying a random hash algorithm.
2. Different difficulty adjustment algorithm.
3. Different reward calculation algorithm.
4. Quark supports transaction comments (similar to Florin). This functionality will be exposed in the UI and RPC interface in a future release.

Go spread fud somewhere else.

Heeeey is Baritus and the team making another currency in my honour ?

Digitalcoin is pretty cool, what's the new one ?

* there is no possibility that I'm reading the topic , zero .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:45:53 PM

Your article made me want to buy BTC and dump doge.  Doge may get used more, as it looks like a survivor at this point, but without the limit on the number of coins you would always be better off holding bitcoin.

The Doge developers should have done what they said they were going to do and cap it at the 100 billion.  Even that is probably too many coins.

I understand the benefits of inflation and would have had no objection to them not having a cap, but you should do what you say you are.

It's actually more complicated than that.  Doge was way more front loaded than most other coins, with the exception of quark (dump truck method), NXT (full premine), and Doge blocks are going to taper down faster than most other coins as well.  This means that even if you purposely designed Doge to be inflationary, it can still be less inflationary than other coins for the foreseeable future...

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

Vertcoin is a smart bet.

Anytime people complain about Litecoin ASICs people will mention vertcoin, in the same way Litecoin got a boost from Bitcoin ASICs,

Crucially, Vertcoin is ASIC resistant whilst still being accessible to GPU miners. And of course it has the Kimoto gravity well difficulty adjustment.

I'm a Litecoin holder and supporter but they are too scared to make the necessary adjustments to Litecoin that the Litecoin community has voted for time and time again. This is why Vertcoin is gaining traction.
Zzzack

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:16:15 PM

If you read what I wrote, or know anything about crypto, you would know Quark is even worse off than Doge.  Quark has checkpoints for a reason.

Are all coins with checkpoints bad then? Is PPC bad because of checkpoints?

Checkpoints are a safeguard that Quark probably won't have to use. Quark is resistant to 51% attacks because of it (much more resistant than many crypto-coins), and as the value of Quark goes up, the mining incentive will go up and further secure the network..

Producer
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:43:50 PM

Quark is far from being a loser. Sure it won't net you 100x, the main run is over. But it's got potential for at least 10x for this year, and then it stabilizes there in value and will then go up slowly as market cap increases (the way it was designed) as a day to day currency.

My bet on Quark is due to its growing infrastructure that can't be overlooked.

r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:46:49 PM

Are all coins with checkpoints bad then? Is PPC bad because of checkpoints?

Checkpoints are a safeguard that Quark probably won't have to use. Quark is resistant to 51% attacks because of it (much more resistant than many crypto-coins), and as the value of Quark goes up, the mining incentive will go up and further secure the network..

Lol?  Federal reserve notes are also resistant to 51% attacks.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
greentea
Legendary

Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:06:07 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 08:26:23 PM by greentea

If you read what I wrote, or know anything about crypto, you would know Quark is even worse off than Doge.  Quark has checkpoints for a reason.
Checkpoints are bad?

Checkpoints are there to make the code more secure, even Bitcoin has checkpoints.
Looks like bitcoin developers added one 16 days ago unless Im reading that wrong, added at block 279000:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp

It's very easy to assume, you don't own any Quark and don't like to see it rising.

You own doge and vertcoin so hope people buy these to support your coins ...

I own Quark and Doge but am way more bullish on Quark than Doge for numerous reasons.

Doge offers zero innovation, as it is just a scrypt clone with too many coins.  The community is great but its economic model/distribution is somewhat flawed.  

Quark although based off of Sifcoin, is now the leader of CPU, ASIC resistant, coins.  Its unique hashing algorithm and speedy transactions combined with very little capital dilution going forward & its growing community make it a very attractive investment.  You can still get some as the price is still cheap ...

NEM   NanoWallet   SuperNodes   Apostille   Landstead   Catapult   Mijin
▃▃▃▅▅▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▅▅▅▃▃▃
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:30:37 PM

From my understanding, BTC just drops in a snapshot of the most recent consensus chain whenever they do an update.  Quark on the other hand, seems to rely entirely on the checkpoints for all of it's security currently, and would need to broadcast checkpoints practically in real time for it's network to be secure.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
GreenWins

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:47:21 PM

I don't even know why people bother replying to this thread.

He literally just wrote a wall of words.

Mark Twain once said “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”

Just check out the video.

WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:04:54 PM

Doge brings users.  Lots and lots of users.  I don't know why anything else matters to you guys.  Maybe those users will suddenly decide to switch to Quark, but it seems highly doubtful.  More likely they will continue to spread the word of Doge like a virus.  600,000 addresses in 6 weeks.  They are eclipsing everything, but Bitcoin.  Personally I couldn't give a crap about the current market cap only that this trend continues.

I am trying to run the Quark numbers, but I keep showing that overall Quarkcoin addresses are 3000 less than yesterday.  Is this some peculiar Quark issue with the blockchain?  Honest question, I am trying to make sure my numbers are accurate.

Zzzack

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:48:46 PM

Doge brings users.  Lots and lots of users.  I don't know why anything else matters to you guys.  Maybe those users will suddenly decide to switch to Quark, but it seems highly doubtful.  More likely they will continue to spread the word of Doge like a virus.  600,000 addresses in 6 weeks.  They are eclipsing everything, but Bitcoin.  Personally I couldn't give a crap about the current market cap only that this trend continues.

I am trying to run the Quark numbers, but I keep showing that overall Quarkcoin addresses are 3000 less than yesterday.  Is this some peculiar Quark issue with the blockchain?  Honest question, I am trying to make sure my numbers are accurate.

I really doubt that your info is right then.

Agreed that Doge is bringing many new users to crypto - but I don't agree that they won't consider other crypto options even if 'doge' is fun.

Producer
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:53:04 PM

Your article made me want to buy BTC and dump doge.  Doge may get used more, as it looks like a survivor at this point, but without the limit on the number of coins you would always be better off holding bitcoin.

The Doge developers should have done what they said they were going to do and cap it at the 100 billion.  Even that is probably too many coins.

Bitcoin is always a better choice in little to no time doge will have no real time because you can have unlimited coins which is just pointless doge will not survive.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:55:01 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 10:08:50 PM by r0ach

This is what's insulting to people's intelligence.

People have been doing nothing but spamming that video all over the forum all week with a Disney world explanation of Quark.

In reality, an unbiased viewer with enough knowledge of how crypto works would define Quark as the following:

Quark (noun):  A proof of work cryptocurrency that either through sheer incompetence, or an attempt to run a pump and dump scam, sacrificed all block chain security with an accelerated block reward model, reaping windfall profits, and possibly utilizing a close sourced GPU miner kept from the public.  The coin now resides on life support, and only through a checkpoint system, which needs to be run in real time to prevent a homeless man with laptop from 51% attacking the network does the coin still exist at all.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:17:42 PM

People have been doing nothing but spamming that video all over the forum all week with a Disney world explanation of Quark.

In reality, an unbiased viewer with enough knowledge of how crypto works would define Quark as the following:

Quark (noun):  A proof of work cryptocurrency that either through sheer incompetence, or an attempt to run a pump and dump scam, sacrificed all block chain security with an accelerated block reward model, reaping windfall profits, and possibly utilizing a close sourced GPU miner kept from the public.  The coin now resides on life support, and only through a checkpoint system, which needs to be run in real time to prevent a homeless man with laptop from 51% attacking the network does the coin still exist at all.

Zzzack

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:33:03 PM

You just lost all credibility and established yourself as the bitcointalk dunce.

Yeah, Quark developers created a private GPU-miner that no one else has been able to make and used it to exploit their coin and none others that they also could have profited off...  Roll Eyes

Producer
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:49:12 PM

You just lost all credibility and established yourself as the bitcointalk dunce.

Yeah, Quark developers created a private GPU-miner that no one else has been able to make and used it to exploit their coin and none others that they also could have profited off...  Roll Eyes

Please stop the biased, Quark shilling.  The GPU miner exists and was close source.  I didn't make it up.  Whether it's affiliated with the creators or not doesn't really matter.  It just adds to the long list of Quark problems.  It's not the "sole defining problem".

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 11:03:05 PM

Goats ... Buzz Aldrin took a masonic apron to the moon... I going to invest in doge because I want to see a cryptocoin idea on the moon as well

for me, now doge have a purpose ...  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqC7H7_Noi8

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: