Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:59:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Rig Cooling help - noob  (Read 457 times)
TheRealCashen

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:25:22 PM

Do not spend money on AC. Complete waste.

Its all about heat transfer and yes, 100 F air will work just fine.

Best thing I ever did was make my cabinet. It has 2 3kCFM fans on top which pull air from the bottom and exhaust at the top. Its located in the garage and I have a couple windows open and it just pulls air from outside. We have had plenty of 95F+ days here and i'm amazed how well this works.

This cabinet uses about 23KW of power currently.

https://i.imgur.com/lS2K3Jx.png

Incoming air is 95F and the exhaust is 108F
https://i.imgur.com/zfiwGG5.png

This forum sucks for adding pictures. Or maybe its because my account was hacked and I still havent been able to gain access back which requires someone to make a new account for some reason which then makes you a "newbie" or something like that and make you want to leave this horrible forum interface
NiklasFalk

Activity: 94
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:20:06 PM

It's all about airflow past the cards.
Not mine at all, but good summary of a lot of thoughts around cooling open air rigs with "hot" air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59I1KvEpMco
Notice the comments about the improvements made related to the airflow past the cards.

My own rig is spaced up to have 8cm c-c between the cards and a 12 inch table fan circulating the air through the basement. It's only a 9 card 1KW rig and the cards are running below 60 C. The next experiment would be to baffle airflow past the cards using 4x140mm chassi fans (one sheet at riser level and one at the top of the cards), but it works so well already, getting the cards down to 50C will not gain much since the OC ability does not seem to be that affected by temp when they are this low.

The fan circulating the air dropped the card temps about 10C, so general ventilation is very important, as it also helps getting the heat out to the surroundings (It distributes the hot air in the air volume, improves transfer of heat to walls etc) even if you don't exhaust the air.

Remember that exhausting air menas it must leak in somewhere else, and doors suddenly slamming shut can be annoying to someone important in the family...
TheRealCashen

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:26:17 PM

It's all about airflow past the cards.
Not mine at all, but good summary of a lot of thoughts around cooling open air rigs with "hot" air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59I1KvEpMco
Notice the comments about the improvements made related to the airflow past the cards.

My own rig is spaced up to have 8cm c-c between the cards and a 12 inch table fan circulating the air through the basement. It's only a 9 card 1KW rig and the cards are running below 60 C. The next experiment would be to baffle airflow past the cards using 4x140mm chassi fans (one sheet at riser level and one at the top of the cards), but it works so well already, getting the cards down to 50C will not gain much since the OC ability does not seem to be that affected by temp when they are this low.

The fan circulating the air dropped the card temps about 10C, so general ventilation is very important, as it also helps getting the heat out to the surroundings (It distributes the hot air in the air volume, improves transfer of heat to walls etc) even if you don't exhaust the air.

Remember that exhausting air menas it must leak in somewhere else, and doors suddenly slamming shut can be annoying to someone important in the family...

I actually got my idea for my cabinet from that video.

heat transfer... lots of air. in and out.
NiklasFalk

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:41:28 PM

Are your rigs oriented with the backplates of the cards pointing up?
Any pictures of the cabinet open?
TheRealCashen

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:46:39 PM

Nope, just tossed my open rigs in there as is. Each rig is 8 cards. The other great benefit to this setup is noise. Hardly notice anything is going on now.

https://i.imgur.com/5rWJCwq.jpg
NiklasFalk

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:53:18 PM

It looks a lot tidier as well with the cabinet closed  Grin
whaawh

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 07:48:46 PM

I already thought that this is not new information, because there are a lot of interesting ideas on the web and even on YouTube to implement your plans.
toefu

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:51:32 PM

i have a small shed outdoors with only 5 miners. run 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G8I7HJE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

put 4 of these for intake

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y753WU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

underclock gpus, and place the rigs 8"s from the intake vents.

about 3" between each gpu and my stuff never exceeds 76C.

outside temps are 98f and right before the air leaves my shed it hits 104f. typically 80% humidity here as well.
squallw

Activity: 504
Merit: 122

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:15:20 PM

Fisrt of all, what is your room temperature?
I have a RX470/480/570 rig and i'm mining Crypto Night, my average temperatures is about 60c per card and fans at 1000 rpm, but my room temperature is about 10c now.
Mining ETH it consume more power and temperature goes about 68c fan at 1500 rpm.

I use undervolt at gpu and mem, all my cards has bios mod and underclock gpu clock and overclock mem clock
nefIndustries

Activity: 34
Merit: 6

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 02:48:16 AM

In my mind, it is better to have your box fan pointing away from the GPU exhausts, sucking the air from the GPUs and pulling the hot air from them.

With the technique you are using, do you think the box fan is pushing air into the GPU exhaust causing the GPU fan to work harder to push air? Could that affect the lifespan of the GPU's cooling system?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: