Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:45:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Default voltage?  (Read 398 times)
alc (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:37:44 PM

How big a deal is it? Is there compelling, statistically significant evidence that running a card 24/7 on default voltages significantly reduces the lifespan of the card?

I'd rather not flash a card's BIOS unless it's provably worthwhile.
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:42:50 PM

www.google.com
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:48:45 PM

The stock voltage is what the card is designed to run at. You cannot harm your card running at stock or lower than stock volts, but you could damage your card if you over volt.

However, there is the possibility of increasing your cards lifespan by under volting.

Lower volts means lower power consumption, and lower temps. Computer hardware lifespan is usually directly related to operating temperature. Not every time, but normally a GPU will last longer running at 60C than it will at 90C.

Plus, the power savings are nice, esp depending on how much you pray for power. Also, it makes the heat a utile more  manageable.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
alc (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:38:55 PM

Lower volts means lower power consumption, and lower temps. Computer hardware lifespan is usually directly related to operating temperature. Not every time, but normally a GPU will last longer running at 60C than it will at 90C.
Has anyone attempted to collate hardware failure numbers? It seems like mining has been a big enough scene for long enough now that if cards were routinely dying we'd hear about it, and I've not heard from too many miners with such complaints, but then I am new here (hence asking the question).

(Grats to cozk, you're the first to make it onto my ignore list.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: