Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:48:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi altcoin image  (Read 626 times)
Aswan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:50:03 PM

Hello altcoin lovers,

I am Mario, director of CryptoCoins Consulting Ltd.

So far we have mostly dealt with bitcoin but there are a lot of other cryptocurrencies establishing these days. We want to know if you guys are interested in a free Raspberri Pi image with lots of pre-compiled and installed altcoin clients and which altcoin clients you would want the most on such an image.

The Rasberry Pi is a small hand-sized computer running linux which is perfect for storing coins. While your conventional computer might get infected while browsing the web or downloading something, the Raspberry Pi can be used for your Coin exclusively, making it less likely to have it compromised.

We do know that using such an image might bring up some trust questions. However, we are a company registered in the UK and german trade register and the imprint on www.pi-wallet.com can give you all the info you need about us. By disclosing this information, we hope to be able to get some initial trust to build on.

So what do you think about it? would you use such a thing? which coins clients would you want to be on it?

Mario
CryptoCoins Consulting Ltd.
poisonedy

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:37:07 PM

Have you considered the blockchain file size if Pi goes with a client? (the blockchain file size is huge, it will fit in a sd card?)
Have you considered the max writes on a SD card? Under certain number of writes on sd card it becomes an unstable/bad for storing valuable files.
Thank you.

NOBL: 9Zb9W8UEoq7zMFa4c7rrU1sXsYayQrg3WG
Aswan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:51:05 PM

Have you considered the blockchain file size if Pi goes with a client? (the blockchain file size is huge, it will fit in a sd card?)
Have you considered the max writes on a SD card? Under certain number of writes on sd card it becomes an unstable/bad for storing valuable files.
Thank you.

You can choose an SD card of any size. Depending on the coins you want to manage on the Raspberry Pi you might want to get a big enough SD Card for 1 year in advance. For corrupted files you will only have to bakcup the private keys to restore your coins. However, you can easily copy the whole card on another one as a full backup since SD cards aren't that expensive.
CycleSurfer

Activity: 189
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:50:47 PM

Worldcoin WDC
eorituz

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:02:34 PM

Thank you.

For Raspberry compatible SD Cards have a look here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards#Working_.2F_Non-working_SD_cards
travel-trousers

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 06:30:53 PM

Sorry,

There is no money in doing this...

The only way it's trust worthy is if you release it as an open source project.... and if it's open source then why would I spend $55 (plus shipping) on a 8gb SD when I can buy one in a store for $10 and be 100% I'm not endangering my money.

We're planning on doing something similar once our coin is released but we'll be giving it away on github so people will trust it,
but that should let you access your wallet from the net without having to trust a random website.

I already have an offline wallet on an SD card, I encrypted my wallets and copied them over.

Finally found a use for the 32Mb card I've had for 10 years :p
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: