Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:06:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Science fair bitcoin giveaway  (Read 899 times)
Rachie (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:57:18 PM

Hello, I'm planning a science fair which will take place this April.  As one of the exhibits, I'm making a bitcoin dispenser.  Kids will be able to press a button, and a thermal receipt printer will spit out a code for a bitcoin portion.  So far 2000 middle school students are scheduled to come to the fair.

I already have an Epson T20 printer, and a Raspberry Pi to run it.  I'll be making a fancy button in a wooden box, which will connect to the Pi.  I might have to switch to a laptop instead of the Pi though, as the printer drivers are a pain.

The exhibit will also have some posters describing bitcoins, and a presenter to help explain how things work.  I've been running a jalapeno miner the past couple month or so to generate coins for the event, though so far I'm only up to about BTC0.05.  I'm afraid I got into this a little too late.

Could anyone assist me with this endeavour?  Mostly I need to figure out the software side.  What's a good way to dispense bitcoins?  Should I generate a new private address every time the button is pressed?  Or should I simply give them a private link to a webpage where they can get access to the coin?  I'll have to maintain a secure site though.  I'm thinking of printing QR codes, but also including plain text, and a link to more information.

Maybe I could include the current USD value as well, thought they might not be very interested once they learn it's only worth a nickel at the moment.  There's also the question of what to do if the coins are never retrieved.  Kids will be kids, so a good portion of the receipts will probably end up being discarded.  Should I tell them to immediately transfer it to a new account, or else it will be reclaimed in six months?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
~Rachie
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 09:30:07 PM

Hi ~Rachie

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320977.0 has a discussion on 'What do you think is the best form to gift BTC?' which my give you some ideas on how to present the BTC gift.

I think a custom made paper wallet would generate interest?

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
Rachie (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:36:39 PM

Yes, they're going to be paper wallets, hence the receipt printer.  But how do I script the generation of thousands of wallets?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: