Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:59:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay / Paypal Scam (not Ebay or Paypal but the buyer)  (Read 1149 times)
testbug (OP)

Activity: 883
Merit: 556

cryptohamstr.com - Pool OP

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:14:35 PM

Hey guys,

i just sold some Coins on Ebay. Most of my coins i sold on ebay have been payed via paypal.
So, as you all might know its pretty easy for the buyer requesting a Chargeback on the transaction.

In this thread (i think there are some others, but this just happened to me again) i want to tell you, how i got scammed buy the buyer and what i have collected so far:

- I am living in Germany, and most of the auctions i got scammed have been bought on Ebay during the night (most likely 02:00 - 05:00 forum time)
- on the most scam cases, the buyer was attaching his wallet adress on the paypal transaction. 4 people attached their wallet adress directly on the paypal, and 3 of them scammed me (i am not sure if they rly got hacked, but its just a fact i had to deal with!)
- they buyer was always writeing decent german (i never got scammed with someone typeing in english!!!!!)
- i always sent a "test amount" for a real wallet verification. I received an answer ALWAYS withing 4-8h after i posted the transaction ID on ebay
- the buyers ALWAYS typed their real name (like on Paypal/Ebay) under the message they have been sending to me (for example: Best regards, Karl Snow)
- 2-4 days after the deal, the buyer (real or not) messaged me, claiming they got hacked and so the transaction should be rechaged so they can get their money back

I messaged Paypal and told them about my issue. So what they told me, is for me, totally UNACCEBTABLE:
Yes we know, their are some scammers outside, but its hard for us to find the real ballance between security and "easy transaction" for the buyer.
I told them some ways, for creating a much more secured payment system and they replied, they are NOT PLANNING ON CHANGEING ANYTHING.

I also know some friend getting scammed bigger BTC amounts, and in total me and my friend got scammed for about 5 BTC. This is much money i think and if paypal COULD prevent this, i think they should do it!

So if someone similiar happened to you to, feel free to post in this thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gjerek

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:50:05 AM

Do not ever sell anything over paypal, they are supporting scammers and won't do anything to change it.

If you are selling digital goods, stay away from paypal or you will be getting scammed alot. I lost alot of money on paypal, and their reply was some copy paste shit (after I waited 4-8weeks for their support).

So if you want to be safe, stay away from paypal as far as possible.

Just my 2 cents.
dottom

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:35:56 AM

I got bitten myself - over 1k worth of charges reversed.

There are two types of scammer:

- People who own the Paypal account they are using and reverse charges because they know they can.  At least you know who the actual user is here and could go after them in court, and report them to law enforcement.

- People who hack mail accounts and login to Paypal using same password (because people are lame and use the same password at multiple sites).  They then create new ebay accounts and link that to paypal.  They buy via ebay, steal your btc, and then eventually the original owner of the Paypal account sees the transactions and disputes them.  In this case, the original owner is legitimately disputing (they didn't authorize the charges) but you as the seller are screwed because Paypal and ebay will always side with the buyer.

Bottom line: don't do any business on Paypal for anything if the risk of reversed transaction.  Some exceptions for physical goods where you can provide proof, but still there is risk Paypal will side with the buyer.

I don't see why Paypal doesn't require 2 factor auth or even a PIN that would greatly reduce this type of fraud.  The answer is they want people to "one click" on ebay and spend $ and who cares about the sellers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: