Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:31:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SONM? Will this change the world of GPU mining?  (Read 891 times)
HansHagberg

Activity: 58
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:08:37 AM
Merited by CjMapope (1)

The business case for distributed compute is not a big mystery.
If this team were to try and do the compute themselves, they would have to compete with existing traditional datacenters. Since SONM have no technical advantage over a traditional datacenter, they would not be a able to compete if they built their own dc.

Look at the similar project DBC (DeepBrainChain), which is developing ditributed AI mining. They mix this up with an investment token (DBC) and a big ICO. Probably just to secure their Lambos in case the distributed compute doesn't work out. Recently, they got this brilliant idea to make even more money by bypassing the distributed concept and play on the greed of miners/investors. They are selling pre-built, very high end AI hardware and hosting services. They give priority to people with big DBC holdings. Basically, they are building a high end traditional datacenter with other peoples money. No economical or technical risks and they can start computing before they solve the distributed compute problems. They have sold thousands of AI compute machines this way. (Way higher spec than 1080 Ti).
Chinese Entrepreneurship at it's best and maybe the only way to do the "mine for themselves" and compete successfully against traditional datacenters.

The distributed model competes by externalizing many of the costs by utilizing the scale of "mining as a hobby". Hobby miners don't count all their work hours as a cost. They don't always count all the hardware investments as cost. At best, they make some initial ROI calculation and make sure the income is greater than the cost of power. This has proven to work long before Bitcoin saw the light of the day. It started with SETI@HOME and then BOINC, which is now the largest super computer cluster on earth. Those projects didn't even have economic incentives.

The big technical problems to solve are related to security and hardware bandwidth. BOINC and other distributed computing have solved this but it is significantly less real-time than POW mining. Long lasting work packages and verification times in centralized systems is the state of the art. Typical low bandwidth mining rigs are not ideal.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dutcha9heures

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:50:49 AM

i've take a look here https://docs.sonm.com/getting-started/as-a-consumer, it seems it run only under linux ??

and it seems not user-friendly to use like Gridcoin and
unlike nicehash which is very simple to start
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:55:41 PM

i've take a look here https://docs.sonm.com/getting-started/as-a-consumer, it seems it run only under linux ??

and it seems not user-friendly to use like Gridcoin and
unlike nicehash which is very simple to start

Great project, as far as i read at their blog. I think i'll try it if there have a stable version for windows. Sadly i am not familiar at linux, because at their website always explaining it use linux. When it become to windows's user sir/mam? Or maybe there is but i don't know, can you give me the link?

thank you.

LOL, haha, exactly what I said before in here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1845114.msg40073213#msg40073213

Did you both found yourselves in that text?

This is my signature...
ortim

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 09:17:33 PM

exciting, only a few days left until we can direct our rigs at SONM  Cool
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2018, 02:39:10 PM

nothing but crickets in this thread since sonm launched, what happened? Tongue   are you guys rich now? Cheesy

haha

they take the ICO money for a PLATFORM, once the platform is built their work is done, but noone realizes just cause you build it dont mean people will come.....

im not gonna say i told you so but.....    Grin  these projects are all the same sadly, seen it again and again

or are you guys renting out to the single order @ 10 cents a day? Cheesy   nicehash style haha, but atleast nicehash HAS buy orders ....

*protip: this is why you take project sig people's words with a grain of SALT, always hehe

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
dinhthisa54

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 05:34:19 PM

SONM is awesome! I think it will change the world of GPU mining!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: