Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:16:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Think Before You Click (Beware of Phishing Sites)  (Read 192 times)
Silent26 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 05:12:21 PM
Merited by mdayonliner (1)

Hi Guys, I don't exactly know where to start this topic. I'm hesitating to post it here or in Beginners and Help Section. Just Kindly tell me the right section for this topic Smiley

I know some of old Members here already knew about this but because Bitcointalk's community is getting bigger and there are too many new users. I came to this idea to share this information.

About: Bitcointalk.to
What: Phishing Site
Objective: To share information
Warning: Don't ever try to log-in in this site or else your account will be compromised. If accidentally logged-in, change your password immediately.

So where should I start. Okay let's begin here, let me tell you what happened first. Make sure your read this 'till the end, it's worth of reading it Smiley

I was searching through google about Sir. theymos's birthday (just to get proof that June 15 really is Sir theymos's birthday) when I've noticed that the Bitcointalk I'm browsing is not the real link of Bitcointalk.org. As we all knew when we are at the home page of the forum this is the link that we can see...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php
(also see screenshot)

https://i.imgur.com/8N3qnAM.jpg

But, instead of that link that is supposed to be shown, I've realised that I'm in a different site and this is the link of another Bitcointalk forum which uses the exact informations of the forum like all posts, threads and Members.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php
(see screenshot below)

Have you noticed the difference? It's between their domain names.  Instead of "Bitcointalk.org" it's "Bitcointalk.to".

So here is the time when I've searched some related information about this in Bitcointalk.org and according to these posts (below links) I found out this link is 100%"PHISHING.

Is Bitcointalk.to same of Bitcointalk.org ?
bitcointalk.to = bitcointalk.org ?
What is bitcointalk.to ..?
Is bitcointalk.to legit or scam?
Is bitcointalk[.]to a FAKE/ CLONE of bitcointalk[.]org

So guys, mostly to New Members. Like what I said in the warning. "Don't ever try to log-in in this site or else your account will be compromised. If accidentally logged-in, change your password immediately." I'm pretty sure that there are still other phishing sites out there waiting for a victim mostly to Bitcointalk Members. For your information, our accounts here a very valuable. Some of you just couldn't realise how valuable our account is. So always take care of it and make sure to always check that the URL your logging in is no other than Bitcointalk.org or just bookmark it.

Other useful information :
What is phishing?
According to wikipedia "Phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details, often for malicious reasons, by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication."

Source: https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing&ved=0ahUKEwjgt5eWjNbbAhUEcCsKHbysCmgQmhMIcTAN&usg=AOvVaw0Px12Wv24epHjK1MuiArzS

Useful Replies :
It's not just that one.
There are tons out there.

Be careful what links you click on google and in your PM.
There was a large phishing attempt using bitcointailk or something like that.

The worse part is that google is getting tricked sometimes and if you mistype bitcointalk it will show both results from the real bitcointalk but also from the phishing websites.
Best thing you can do is report those, one report might not do anything but a hundred or a thousand will.
this is the same case just like the MEW (MyEtherWallet)
many phishing sites that resemble the original
only different domains
myetherwallet.com (real site)
myetherwallet.com.co (phishing site)
myetherwallet.in (phishing site)

please be careful out there, the original bitcointalk site has a .org domain
bitcointalk phishing sites want to steal your bitcointalk account because currently bitcointalk account is very valuable
What, is theymos supposed to baby users into not clicking on suspicious bitcointalk links where the URL doesn't match the original? BCT hyperlinks are green when highlighted. https://bitcointalk.org/
Phishing PM's are dealt with when users report them but there's no way to prevent a user's stupidity from being their downfall. With the new email confirmations, at the very least, phishing will be less impactful, so you could technically state that theymos 'did something about that'.

There are already threads created with the same topic but I still decide to post another one. Because posting this will surely help a lot of members and those threads that has been posted before doesn't warn other members. It's more like they've just discussed it passingly for their selves. But in here, I've discussed everything that everyone should know, so it's a little bit different from other threads Smiley

Guys, always remember. "Think Before You Click".

If I've done something wrong, please tell me and I will lock this thread immediately.
Well, hope it helps a lot Smiley

Please don't copy and paste the thread and don't quote it when replying.

404 Not Found
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 05:28:14 PM

If I've done something wrong, please tell me and I will lock this thread immediately.
IMO, you have not done anything wrong. Sometimes members need recall about these phishing sites (if my memory servers me right then there are more except the .to one).

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3647

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2018, 06:37:46 PM

Regardless of bitcointalk.io "mirror site," you don’t need to "Think Before You Click" or even click on the site to make sure it's real or Phishing.
Just hover your mouse over the link and look at the bottom of your device that will show you the link.
Also, beware some scammers this code to hide Phishing Sites
Code:
[url=Phishing URL ]Real site URL[/url]

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 07:27:37 PM

If the link is posted on this forum you can hover over it and if it's green it belong to this website but if it doesn't go green then it's redirecting you to another site. If you ever come across a site which looks like Bitcointalk but you have been automatically signed out and they are asking you to sign back in then that's a red flag right away.
Silent26 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:29:07 AM

Regardless of bitcointalk.io "mirror site," you don’t need to "Think Before You Click" or even click on the site to make sure it's real or Phishing.
Just hover your mouse over the link and look at the bottom of your device that will show you the link.
Yes Sir, you're absolutely right. But how about those Members who uses Mobile phones? Ofcourse they won't be able to hover a mouse in their browsers isn't? That's why Thinking before clicking is one of the best way to avoid phishing. Using Google Chrome, in order to check the links hidden in a link text, long pressing it is the only way to view it's links. Those people who just click links without even bothering to think that it might be phishing are usually the victim of this fraud.

Also, beware some scammers this code to hide Phishing Sites
Code:
[url=Phishing URL ]Real site URL[/url]
Yuph, this is how they hide phishing sites.

By the way Sir, thanks for spending some time reading the thread Smiley

If the link is posted on this forum you can hover over it and if it's green it belong to this website but if it doesn't go green then it's redirecting you to another site.
Mouse hovering doesn't work on mobile devices. Luckily if you were using Pc when browsing Bitcointalk.
If you ever come across a site which looks like Bitcointalk but you have been automatically signed out and they are asking you to sign back in then that's a red flag right away.

Yuph, that's why I've noticed that I'm in a different Bitcointalk, it is because I've also realised that I'm not logged-in. Lucky me, cause I've seen the URL first which is different before logging-in. I'm safe Smiley

IMO, you have not done anything wrong. Sometimes members need recall about these phishing sites (if my memory servers me right then there are more except the .to one).
Also, I've found this (Another phishing site?) site in Google which uses the same Bitcointalk informations.
https://thebitcointalk.net
I'm certain that there are still more.

404 Not Found
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: