Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:16:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e legal problems?  (Read 7802 times)
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:45:54 AM

I'm laughing all the time I'm reading this thread  Grin
C'mon, weak hands, SODL all your BTC!

Typical Russian proverb: Serverity of Russian laws is offset by non-execution.
And also: BTC-e community is not only Russians (Russians are a very small part there).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:50:56 AM

Indeed, if Argentina wanted to move against BTC-E, likely nothing would happen. Russia, on the other hand, is a global power, and may have the power to affect action in the relevant jurisdictions.

Only in CIS (Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan...)
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:51:53 AM

Indeed, if Argentina wanted to move against BTC-E, likely nothing would happen. Russia, on the other hand, is a global power, and may have the power to affect action in the relevant jurisdictions.

Only in CIS (Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan...)
I'm not so sure about that.

I'm SO sure about that.
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:52:15 AM

This could actually bring a rise to BTC.
People who are moving out of BTC-E are using BTC as the main tool to do so. Those who were holding fiat will use BTC as the quickest and most secure way in getting their funds out. If they buy BTC while the price is rising, then they will probably hold till the uptrend stops
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:52:20 AM

I'm laughing all the time I'm reading this thread  Grin
C'mon, weak hands, SODL all your BTC!

Typical Russian proverb: Serverity of Russian laws is offset by non-execution.
And also: BTC-e community is not only Russians (Russians are a very small part there).

Why not?

If this all blows over then everyone can buy back in at probably the same price as they sold or a bit cheaper. If this turns out to be a real body-blow to the Bitcoin eco-system then everyone can buy back in at much lower prices....or not at all.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:55:53 AM

This means that everyone else doesn't have much to worry about. It would be like if Argentina decided to ban MtGox.com. It would only affect argentinians.

Agreed.
Another example: Sergey Brin, Google co-founder, is Russian. But Google is an American company.
Will you worry if Russia decides to ban Google?  Cheesy

Stan Bokov, TradingView co-founder, is Russian. But TradingView is an American company.
Will you worry if Russia bans TradingView?
Satyre_Noir (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:55:58 AM

I dont know if you're brainwashed by goverment but why no KYC means money laundering? Why no direct banking means money laundering?

So far your points are just as the idiots' calling bitcoin ponzi/illicit currency

Under Bulgarian law if one engages in financial mediation is obliged to "Know Your Customer" or validate customer personal information. If he doesn't he breaks the law.

Which part you don not understand?

Have you ever been in Bank?
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:00:36 AM

It would be like if Argentina decided to ban MtGox.com. It would only affect argentinians.

If, for example, the US wanted to move against BTC-E, we could likely expect the domain to be seized in a relatively short amount of time.

I left BTC-E with the same reasoning. If BTC-E will be linked to terrorism, then Russia will turn this situation political. For instance they could actually use trade relations with Bulgaria to force them to cooperate with their demands.
I live in Estonia, a country where the ruling party likes to present itself as anti-russian. But they will mostly bend to Russian demands when trade relations are in question. If Bulgaria will get political pressure from Russia, then they won't think twice on feeding BTC-E to the wolves.

I repeat, that this all could be just FUD with Russian govt. having little interest to get BTC-E. But if they have real interest, then I think that there will be trouble.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:02:17 AM

If BTC-E will have problems, then it will also hit hard on LTC price, since it's the biggest market for LTC.
I converted my LTC to BTC and transfered to stamp. I have always been nervous on keeping money in BTC-E, because their lack of transparency. They have a great interface and engine, but sadly I don't trust people that I know very little of. So, their confidence that everything will be fine won't make me very confident. Suffered a small loss because of this move, but I think that it was necessary to avoid the risk. I'm afraid that LTC price will drop more and there will be a lot of FUD, before it's known if BTC-E is in fact in trouble.

Lack of transparency is kind of an invalid point, given that the creator of Bitcoin is just as anonymous as the owners of BTC-E...

When the bitcoin software is open sourced, then the work itself is transparent and the exact person behind it isn't as important. But with BTC-E, their work is as hidden as their personal information.
Because of that I can't speculate if they did some shady deals with the criminal underworld or not. If russians can link BTC-E finance to terrorism, then the problem will go to international level and BTC-E will be in trouble.
I know that all of this can just be FUD without any solid base, but I had no reason to take the risk.

That is a very good point, if they can link it to finance terrorism then US, UK and the rest of the western world will move in, too.
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:02:52 AM

I left BTC-E with the same reasoning. If BTC-E will be linked to terrorism, then Russia will turn this situation political. For instance they could actually use trade relations with Bulgaria to force them to cooperate with their demands.

They only have their servers in Bulgaria, nothing more.
BTC-E is a Cypriotic company. Russian govt CAN'T take them in Cyprus.
Kenshin

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:06:29 AM

It would be like if Argentina decided to ban MtGox.com. It would only affect argentinians.

If, for example, the US wanted to move against BTC-E, we could likely expect the domain to be seized in a relatively short amount of time.

I live in Estonia, a country where the ruling party likes to present itself as anti-russian. But they will mostly bend to Russian demands when trade relations are in question. If Bulgaria will get political pressure from Russia, then they won't think twice on feeding BTC-E to the wolves.

I repeat, that this all could be just FUD with Russian govt. having little interest to get BTC-E. But if they have real interest, then I think that there will be trouble.

I took all my funds out as soon as I heard this news on Reddit.  Smiley
Kenshin

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:07:55 AM

But if Russia can link it to terrorism. No country will dare to host their site.
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:08:03 AM

kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:13:27 AM

These servers hold the data of your coins and $, so I wouldn't call it nothing.
Also if there will be political pressure, then Cyprus will bend as well. There are not many countries in that region that are immune to Russian political pressure. And remember that BTC-E isn't actually something that's very important to the country it resides in. It's just not profitable to protect BTC-E with the cost of going to bad terms with Russia.

So the main question here isn't if BTC-E falls under Bulgarian or Cyprus jurisdiction, but how bad do the russians want to get BTC-E and are they willing to go political with their investigation.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:14:44 AM

BTC-e fud is affecting LTC price  Grin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:16:29 AM

Also if there will be political pressure, then Cyprus will bend as well. There are not many countries in that region that are immune to Russian political pressure.

There are LOTS of Russian businessmen/investors who use Cyprus to hide themselves from Russian government. Every Cypriot can prove that.
MatTheCat

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:17:49 AM

Facepalm jpeg deploying unfunny retard

Facepalm this below, mongolface:

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
biafore

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:22:43 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/btc-e-concerns-russian-criminal-investigation/   End of BTC-E is eminent
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:22:57 AM

They follow Cypress laws. They aren't Russian company. Why Russia could seize their servers in Bulgaria?  Grin
Maybe Russia would seize MtGox servers in Japan? Or Bitstamp's in Slovenia? All exchanges will fire because of Russian govt! We all will die! PANIC! SELL SELL SELL!!!11

BITCOIN WILL DIE BECAUSE OF RUSSIA!!!111oneoneone
MatTheCat

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:28:49 AM

They follow Cypress laws. They aren't Russian company. Why Russia could seize their servers in Bulgaria?  Grin
Maybe Russia would seize MtGox servers in Japan? Or Bitstamp's in Slovenia? All exchanges will fire because of Russian govt! We all will die! PANIC! SELL SELL SELL!!!11

The USA seized servers and arrested Kim DotCom in New Zealand. Even using FBI hardware and officers to do so.

The USA gets UK citizens extradited for breaking US law, despite the fact that the citizen never broke any UK laws.

Powerful countries have leverage over less powerful countries, especially when any kind of trading links are involved.

If Russia is serious about nailing BTC-E for whatever reason, and it leans on Bulgaria to any degree whatsoever, these servers are getting switched off. Simple as that. After all, the Bulgarian government wouldn't want to run the risk of aiding 'terrorists' would they?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: