Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:58:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting connected to the Bitcoin Lightning network  (Read 186 times)
bones261 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 11:09:27 PM

Before embarking on trying to connect to the lightning network. I am a bit confused. Do I first need to run my Bitcoin daemon and let it sync; then install and run the lightning network daemon; then install either the Zap Gui or Lightning App gui? Or can I just install and run one of the Gui's. I have been googling for hours, and am quite confused.  Huh  I will take the three steps if necessary, but if I can eliminate one or more steps, it would be great. I don't want to embark on this before being certain that I am not making more work out of it than necessary.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 12:00:26 AM

Have a read of https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2017/10/12/test-blitz.html. It explains the steps for the testnet. The mainnet version is not ready yet.

There is no need to sync the blockchain or run LND by yourself. The Lighting App handles all of that for you. Furthermore, it uses a BIP 158 (Neutrino) light client so there is no need to sync the entire blockchain at all.

bones261 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:24:30 AM

Have a read of https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2017/10/12/test-blitz.html. It explains the steps for the testnet. The mainnet version is not ready yet.

There is no need to sync the blockchain or run LND by yourself. The Lighting App handles all of that for you. Furthermore, it uses a BIP 158 (Neutrino) light client so there is no need to sync the entire blockchain at all.

I don't want to run on the testnet. I guess that I will just fiddle with ln and lncli until I can figure out a workaround to run a GUI.
orenjebum

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 11:28:43 AM

The first mobile wallet made for Bitcoin Lightning Network (LN) was launched on April 4th ago that marks a milestone for this technology.
The Eclair wallet, released by ACINQ technology startup, and available only to Android users from the Google Play Store.
This device uses version 5.0 which is newer than its operating system, and now can send payment of Lightning.
bones261 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:53:41 PM

The first mobile wallet made for Bitcoin Lightning Network (LN) was launched on April 4th ago that marks a milestone for this technology.
The Eclair wallet, released by ACINQ technology startup, and available only to Android users from the Google Play Store.
This device uses version 5.0 which is newer than its operating system, and now can send payment of Lightning.

That is great news. However, I have an Iphone. Embarrassed
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 02:02:56 PM

The closest thing to an LN wallet on an iPhone is the iMessage Zap widget]/url]
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2018, 08:38:00 AM

Try Shango for iOS. Still.in beta, though.

https://github.com/neogeno/shango-lightning-wallet/blob/master/README.md

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀