Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:27:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused about which mining pool to join and stick with.  (Read 2666 times)
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:57:04 PM

BTCguild, best pool ever..
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Golph

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:46:51 PM

go with btcguild..

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. SyeED5YaZeVPows6Zx9z1hJ7twNJrKLrJB
Tegija

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Just Fun!

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:41:04 PM

BTCguild, best pool ever..

not really...

Just join p2pool.
Its time to decentralize mining again.
0% or very low fees and best payouts.
no chance for anybody to steal your mined coins.
No DDoS Attacks.
Absolute secure.
You will support Bitconcommunity/-network so as it should be.

Believe me: p2pool ist the best!

Nodes you can find here: p2pool-nodes.info or just join my node (full optimized; see my signature).

Enjoy your life!
iongchun

Activity: 75

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:46:22 AM

not really...

Just join p2pool.
Its time to decentralize mining again.
0% or very low fees and best payouts.
no chance for anybody to steal your mined coins.
No DDoS Attacks.
Absolute secure.
You will support Bitconcommunity/-network so as it should be.

Believe me: p2pool ist the best!

Nodes you can find here: p2pool-nodes.info or just join my node (full optimized; see my signature).

I agree with you except the port number in your signature Smiley

Bitcoin: 1NFMpJUW7sTKmnVKj12MxhPvCvzAKQ5gUV
Namecoin: N5Tnt3JyMeizsoAFAZDr7CSxjzDtPSisK8
Mining with P2Pool. Graph. Blocks.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:28:22 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2014, 03:54:54 PM by aurel57

I think I have a good set up now. I now have one single pointed at BTC Guild and the other at Eligius.

Slush is still a great pool if it's on a lucky streak but with Slush's hashing power it just seems like it's not keeping up with the other pool sizes and it will just keep falling behind. I remember back in June it use to find 20 blocks on average and on a good day it would find 30+ blocks. Now a good day is 10 or 11 and it seems a average day is 4 or 5 blocks?
dplusf

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:46:43 PM

lots of opinions.
here s mine.

go with p2pool.
you ll help the network because of decentralisation. you get freshly minted coins with no history. virgin coins.
your payouts should be better than with any other pool. thats because simply mosts of the public nodes you can connect your miner to, have no fees.

0% fee goes only with a great heart or with mergemining. a node with mergemining will at best only cover the costs for hosting. so their is no profit at all for the node operator in contrary to big, centralised pools who do take up to 3% fee's.

a big pool who offers you mergemining, but takes 1-3 % fees of your income is a deception for the miner.

if you dont know how to setup a node use a public one. look at my signature.

one disadvantage of p2pool is the big variance in payouts because p2pool is small. payouts are done immediately after a block is found, but blocks are not found on hourly basis, instead a new block is found by p2pool every 21 hours or so. but one day p2pool will not find anything, the other day it will find two blocks.
payout system on p2pool is PPLNS wich is good against poolhopping. but because it need up to three days for ramping out your payments it may look at the first two days that you are making less.
as an unexperienced miner this will doubt you, but give it a try.
Tegija

Activity: 112

Just Fun!

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:40:40 PM

lots of opinions.
here s mine.

go with p2pool.
you ll help the network because of decentralisation. you get freshly minted coins with no history. virgin coins.
your payouts should be better than with any other pool. thats because simply mosts of the public nodes you can connect your miner to, have no fees.

0% fee goes only with a great heart or with mergemining. a node with mergemining will at best only cover the costs for hosting. so their is no profit at all for the node operator in contrary to big, centralised pools who do take up to 3% fee's.

As you can see your opinion is not much different of mine.
Average payouts in longer terms are really much better than in centralized pools ant not only because of high fees of centralized pools. there are many other reasons..
most of 0% fee nodes have their merged coins clients in background running and try to cover costs with merged mining. its only my opinion, but i experienced that merged mining clients make the node less effective (even when stats are showing that everything is ok) and payouts are little lower (my testing experience 2-3%) than without merged mining. specially IOC and IXC make big efficiency difference.
so finally i decided to set to my a fee of 1% and that should cover most cost. even with this fee, my miner have higher payouts than without fees in some other nodes (i made several parallel tests), i think its because of only BTC-mining.
in reality costs for keeping up good node are not really 1% if mining power is high enough thats why i decided to support p2pool development and will donate half of income to devs of p2pool. i hope that some other public-node-owner will do it same way soon so we will have better p2pool and will have more miners here.

a big pool who offers you mergemining, but takes 1-3 % fees of your income is a deception for the miner.

Right, but sad as it is most miner did not get it yet.

there are many nodes to use. if anybody has interest then here are some lists of public nodes: p2pool-nodes.info or p2pools.org. not all of them have high efficiency so make sure you will use always the same username (your btw-address) when you are testing them. only so you can be sure that you don't loose your made shares.

one disadvantage of p2pool is the big variance in payouts because p2pool is small. payouts are done immediately after a block is found, but blocks are not found on hourly basis, instead a new block is found by p2pool every 21 hours or so. but one day p2pool will not find anything, the other day it will find two blocks.

i don't see this as big disadvantage. it makes miners maybe nervous sometimes, but it is the same like falling rates in exchanges: many people are selling when rates are falling and lose their money. those who are keeping do not lose anything.

payout system on p2pool is PPLNS wich is good against poolhopping. but because it need up to three days for ramping out your payments it may look at the first two days that you are making less.

first 3 days there are really lower payouts, but usually most of miner make already in first week already same amount of BTC as others in centralized pools.

Enjoy your life!
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:18:42 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2014, 04:13:07 AM by Trongersoll

Personally, I use Slush and BTCguild.

Only use Slush if you are not going to try and second guess the pool. Have faith that it is working correctly and that the computer is smarter than you. If you are going to sit and watch it mine(kind of like watching snail races), it will drive you nuts because it is small and suffers from variance. If you are going to double check the calculations, this will make you crazy.

BTCguild is a good, reliable pool with great customer support. I put a miner there that was having difficulties with Slush and now that miner is almost 4 times larger than what i have at slush.

Both are good pools but cater to different personality types.

Just my two Satoshi.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:58:54 PM

I've got a question about switching back and forth between pools.  It seems the longer you mine with one pool the better the payout is.  The other night I decided to mine with BTC Guild for the night as Bitminter was on a real long block.  My expected per block went way down and it's taken me a couple days to get back to where I was. It's actually a bit higher today.

So in the long run, is it really worth while switching back and forth?  Seems to be better off just sticking to 1 pool or am I missing something?
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 11:04:18 PM

Try https://mining.bitcoin.cz/ aka Slush's pool

That's where I started then moved toeligius then to BTC guild then to cex.io&ghash.io then stopped as my pc is not making money mining!

Space for rent if its still trending
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 11:05:37 PM

I've got a question about switching back and forth between pools.  It seems the longer you mine with one pool the better the payout is.  The other night I decided to mine with BTC Guild for the night as Bitminter was on a real long block.  My expected per block went way down and it's taken me a couple days to get back to where I was. It's actually a bit higher today.

So in the long run, is it really worth while switching back and forth?  Seems to be better off just sticking to 1 pool or am I missing something?

If you choose Pay per N last shares then you benefit if you stay in the same pool!

Space for rent if its still trending
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:36:52 AM

P2pool is the way to go over time.  dplusf is right.

lots of opinions.
here s mine.

go with p2pool.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:48:51 AM

I've got a question about switching back and forth between pools.  It seems the longer you mine with one pool the better the payout is.  The other night I decided to mine with BTC Guild for the night as Bitminter was on a real long block.  My expected per block went way down and it's taken me a couple days to get back to where I was. It's actually a bit higher today.

So in the long run, is it really worth while switching back and forth?  Seems to be better off just sticking to 1 pool or am I missing something?

PPLNS has a charge-up/wind-down period, the length of which varies by pool.  Since the last 10 shifts (on Guild and BitMinter) get paid when blocks are solved, your reward starts small (since you only have shares in one shift).  Once you have shares in all shifts you'll see the average block reward similar to a non PPLNS pool.

This is NOT a penalty, and does NOT mean you are making less if you mine infrequently or change pools frequently.  This is because on PPLNS your shares continue getting paid even if you stop mining, until they leave the active shifts.  So when you turn off, you'll be receiving payments, which will gradually decline exactly the way the gradually increased at first.

As such, looking at your pool reported 24-hour rewards on a PPLNS pool is not worth doing until *more* than 24 hours has passed (~30 hours in the case of BTC Guild and ~34 in the case of BitMinter).  I'd say you could do trial runs on pools for short periods then wait for the PPLNS system to wind down, but comparing rewards in a short period of time is pointless since luck will have more influence on rewards than anything unless you're comparing large (2 week+) time frames on the largest pools, and multi-month time frames in the case of small pools.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:58:06 AM

I've got a question about switching back and forth between pools.  It seems the longer you mine with one pool the better the payout is.  The other night I decided to mine with BTC Guild for the night as Bitminter was on a real long block.  My expected per block went way down and it's taken me a couple days to get back to where I was. It's actually a bit higher today.

So in the long run, is it really worth while switching back and forth?  Seems to be better off just sticking to 1 pool or am I missing something?

PPLNS has a charge-up/wind-down period, the length of which varies by pool.  Since the last 10 shifts (on Guild and BitMinter) get paid when blocks are solved, your reward starts small (since you only have shares in one shift).  Once you have shares in all shifts you'll see the average block reward similar to a non PPLNS pool.

This is NOT a penalty, and does NOT mean you are making less if you mine infrequently or change pools frequently.  This is because on PPLNS your shares continue getting paid even if you stop mining, until they leave the active shifts.  So when you turn off, you'll be receiving payments, which will gradually decline exactly the way the gradually increased at first.

As such, looking at your pool reported 24-hour rewards on a PPLNS pool is not worth doing until *more* than 24 hours has passed (~30 hours in the case of BTC Guild and ~34 in the case of BitMinter).  I'd say you could do trial runs on pools for short periods then wait for the PPLNS system to wind down, but comparing rewards in a short period of time is pointless since luck will have more influence on rewards than anything unless you're comparing large (2 week+) time frames on the largest pools, and multi-month time frames in the case of small pools.

Thanks for the detailed response. Makes sense to me now.
last2come222

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:53:48 PM

I have the same question and after suggesrions I've read here I made my choice. I wish I made it right! Good luck to you to decide and luckily join the most appropiate pool for you.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: