Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:18:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The current life status of Dogecoin
It is essentially left for dead - 1 (8.3%)
It is undead and can't possibly "die" - 10 (83.3%)
It is just another shitcoin - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogecoin is dead. Or is it actually undead?  (Read 326 times)
tee-rex (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:13:16 PM

Recently, I saw a thread around here (it got trashed already) which was a copy-paste of an article about the early history of Dogecoin and it being mostly a joke. I don't really know if it turned into anything other than (just) a joke since then, but to be honest, doges earned me hefty profits back in the day, specifically when Bter was at its prime (it's gone now), if anyone remembers. It was likely the best coin for arbitrage a few years ago. But those times seem to be long gone by now too (though I can be wrong on this, of course). Today, its active development is halted as the last official release of the Dogecoin wallet was more than two years ago (it had been released in November, 2015). There are signs (or rather sighs) of life at Github but I'm highly dubious if they will bear any real fruit. So I basically have two questions.

The first question is simple and pretty straightforward. In short, is Dogecoin dead in terms of active development and support as in left for dead? And the second one is more intricate and complex. Does Dogecoin (or any other coin, for that matter) have to be actively developed and have a strong, solid team behind it to stay alive and be in circulation? Really, if there are no critical bugs, there may be just nothing to add apart from what has already been added.
It is considered as dead because there are no more development that is going on in this shitcoin. The only reason why this coin is still exist is because of those bag holders that hype this coin in order for them to exit for good. And this scenario will continue until no one will ever use or trade it.

I understand your reasons, but it is exactly the question I'm raising in the OP, that is whether no more development actually means anything? It has been over two years since Dogecoin wallet had been last updated but this coin is still alive any way you look at it. Obviously, developers abandoning the project doesn't mean that the blockchain and algo behind it are dead too. And as it seems to me, it is the market which has the final word in this case, and from this perspective Dogecoin is very well alive. This is the point I'm trying to convey.

It can be said that Dogecoin will be nearing death when miners start to abandon it but so far we are far from that.
blo8i

Activity: 960
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:34:00 PM

A coin can live without an active team behind it and be running just bu community. Also, a so-called dead useless shitcoin can pump really hard (like we've seen in December-January)
tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:05:44 PM

A coin can live without an active team behind it and be running just bu community. Also, a so-called dead useless shitcoin can pump really hard (like we've seen in December-January)

This is not about Dogecoin. First of all, i wouldn't call Dogecoin a shitcoin even if it is a joke officially. After all, it has been around for more than 3 years, and that's a big term for any coin to be around, not just some shitcoin. Next, Dogecoin is unlikely to be pumped as hard as many shitcoins are pumped regularly and then die quickly (pump hard & die young). Many unknown coins get price rises in terms of thousand percentages and beyond. That's unlikely with Dogecoin. As far as I remember, it has never traded greatly above 100 satoshi per coin with lows being around 20, if I'm not mistaken. So, all in all, it is not a very good candidate for pumping and thus for dumping as well. But that also means that you are more or less safe with this coin as mind-boggling pumps typically end with even more spectacular dumps.
apur688

Activity: 546
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 10:18:59 PM

I think dogecoin is also one of the most popular altcoins, probably because the price rarely goes up and down, which means the price stays stable, even though the price of 1 dogecoin is very small. Many traders take advantage of dogecoin, because the price is very cheap, then the deposit and withdrawal also requires a very small fee. So they turn their altcoin into a dogecoin first before the deposit or withdrawal.

✣ ▌ ✣ ▌ ✣ ▌ ✣ Seasonal Tokens ✣ ▌✣ ▌ ✣ ▌ ✣
█ ✣ ▌PROTECT YOUR FUNDS AND GROW YOUR WEALTH OVER TIME ▌✣ █
www.seasonaltokens.org
kingvirtus09

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:31:09 PM

Dogecoin is there and i think it's a dead coin but seems that some traders/community wants to list on other exchanges they use it as pump and dump coin or transfer it on a peer to peer base. Just give us some information about Dogecoin.

tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 05:55:05 AM

Well, if you ever used an exchange like Yobit or any other such altcoin exchange with a shitload of coins, you could notice that there are plenty of them which have sell orders at exactly 1 satoshi. That means no one is willing to buy them for bitcoins. It looks like they are definitely dead, as dead as a doornail, but quite a few of them are in fact "undead". Even though they are no longer traded against Bitcoin, they may still be actively traded against each other and other such coins which are as undead. So there is without doubt life after death in the cryptoverse at some exchanges for some coins.

Though I don't think that Dogecoin belongs to this category.
I took a peek on yobit and most of the sell orders are of market value of 44 sats to 94 sats.

Those 1 sats are not sell orders but buy orders. No one will ever sell his dogecoins with that cheaper price under the market value.

I'm not talking about Dogecoin which should be clear from my post, nor do I think of it as a shitcoin, which should also be explicit enough. Dogecoin has been sticking around for too long to be a shitcoin as simple as it gets. Shitcoins simply don't live up to that. At Yobit you can see coins which have no buy orders, which means the Bid side of the orderbook is empty and the Ask price is at its possible minimum, which is 1 satoshi for BTC pairs. You may want to take another peek there:

https://yobit.io/en/trade/PUPA/BTC
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: