Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:36:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The ULTIMATE GUIDE on HOW (NOT) TO GET ROBBED/HACKED  (Read 149 times)
clawdiw (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 02:55:04 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2018, 03:43:01 PM by clawdiw
Merited by CjMapope (3), veccar9008 (1)

I have long thought on a complete set of instructions/steps to do in order to rest assured that your accounts remain safe and you don't get scammed/hacked. This is a "work in progress" thread, meaning that I will update it as soon as I find newer and better ways of protecting oneself. So let's get it started.

1) Reserve a device (notebook, netbook, PC) only for trading/transfering/checking your accounts. Buy a new one or reinstall the operating system. Get the latest updates and the latest antivirus.

Here I recommend ESET Internet Security (link : https://www.eset.com/us/home/internet-security/) . I costs only 50$/year/device. In my opinion, is a very decent price for the service that they provide. It has an awesome tools for online browsing. Forget about installing extensions such as MetaCert -> this tool does it all for you.

Don't install any other application on it. None. And if you do, verify it with the antivirus. Some wallets are viewed as viruses. I usually install it, save the private key and then uninstall it. Just to have the least apps installed as possible.

2) Reserve a new phone install Google Authentication app (or other similar apps) for two steps authentication. This is another mandatory layer of security that is really a must! Actually it is not if you believe in a protective god that works as the ultimate firewall for your computer.

Use it for every each account that you can. So far I haven't heard of somebody having their Google Authentication App hacked. Only stupid people that gave out that 30 seconds code have been hacked. Don't be like them. Don't ever give out to to anybody none of those codes. Ever.

Don't install anything but that app on the cellphone. The (more) Iphone, the better. Block all incoming calls. You'll only need it to receive confirmation messagges and to collect codes from Google Authentication (or likewise apps). Connect the cellphone only to secure private internet connections. Never to a public unsecure passwordless WIFI. Or use the personal internet of the SIM card.

3) Buy a new, fresh, prepaid SIM card to use with the new phone.

Do not disclose the phone number to anybody. Do not use to call or receive calls from anybody. That should be used only for your personal accounts as a security layer an nothing else.

There is a set of protocols called SS7 that can be used to intercept messages by only knowing somebody's phone number. Check out more details here: https://vimeo.com/232678861/b1295b6384

Check out also how high intel organisations can intercept our phones and ways to circumvent that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI-catcher

4) Use a VPN to be as untraceable as possible. A very good one is Hideman ( link: https://www.hideman.net/) You can benefit of 1 hour/day free or a full service for up to 69$/year.

5) Use COLD STORAGE such as Nano Ledger/Hardware that has been encrypted and password protected. If somebody stills it from you at least it can not access it.

Every each private key that you have save it on that USB stick. Actually, save it on more than one. If you loose one, at least you'll have the others.

Don't you ever save any of your private keys on online cloud storage such as Dropbox, Google Drive and so on.

Before I connect the USB stick, I usually close all the processes and restart the computer. You always want to check the processes from the TASK MANAGER to make sure that there is no filthy process that might read your data and compromise it.

6) Write your passwords and private keys only on a paper, notebook or multiple notebook that you will hide very very well. Do not save any password anywhere.

While you write them, make sure nobody is watching. Here is an interesting article on why you should tape/cover your PC/laptop's camera: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/22/mark-zuckerberg-tape-webcam-microphone-facebook

When it comes to talk about passwords, make sure they are as complicated and long as possible and also unique!!! In the worst case scenario, if one account gets hacked, at least the others will remain safe and you will be (almost) fine.  

7) create a new email address that you will NOT link to any other email address or any other account that can be used to break into it. Remember Ian Balina being hacked?
"Learn from other people's mistakes. Life is too short to make them all yourself." Sam Levenson

These are my best pieces of advice used so far that have worked for me and kept myself safe. If you know more and better ways of protecting ourselves, please add up to this thread and let's make it the go to Bitcointalk page where people can learn how to keep themselves safe.

At the end I want to leave you with a link towards a BLOXPO Conference where RICHARD HEART had a great speech. He said also some great ways to protect yourself against hackers and ways that one can expose themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHEGfxdUwIE&t=56m

I will constantly update it as I myself find out more and more ways to stay away from hackers.

Stay safe!

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 03:04:03 PM

These are givens, but a reminder is nice once and again Smiley
i also recommend ESET, its never done me wrong
A bit high strung, but keeps one safe hehe

Have a few Merit on me

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:04:23 PM

Don't install any other application on it. None. And if you do, verify it with the antivirus. Some wallets are viewed as viruses. I usually install it, save the private key and then uninstall it. Just to have the least apps installed as possible.

I am sorry, but this is a big NO ! do not ever install wallets on the computer you run everything on, you said it yourself you have to disable antivirus for a lot of wallets to be able to install, install wallets for unknown coins is one of the most reason people get compromised, no matter what you should use another device to install wallets .

Use it for every each account that you can. So far I haven't heard of somebody having their Google Authentication App hacked. Only stupid people that gave out that 30 seconds code have been hacked. Don't be like them. Don't ever give out to to anybody none of those codes. Ever.

There is people that still got hacked even with using Google Authentication, those that use trading bot .

4) Use a VPN to be as untraceable as possible. A very good one is Hideman ( link: https://www.hideman.net/) You can benefit of 1 hour/day free or a full service for up to 69$/year.

Why would anyone want to use VPN while trading and transfer money !! So unless you are doing illegal or criminal things VPN is less secure than your own connection .  Because while you are protecting you location you are give a chance to expose all information that go by this VPN .

Just want to add one more point .

Never use trading bot, and if you really want only the use one that have super trusted people behind it .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: