Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:04:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Leaks  (Read 179 times)
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 09:22:19 PM

I came across this news regarding a staggering 5% of Monero being actually mined wrongfully by malicious nodes.

I can´t evaluate by myself the accuracy of the findings of the study that states that "malicious miners hijacking what amounts to an eye-popping 5% of XMR in circulation"  but looks quite worrying for privacy oriented coins. How can you actually check that Monero is being produced honestly? And for that matter, others like electroneun, verge,...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 02:44:36 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

I came across this news regarding a staggering 5% of Monero being actually mined wrongfully by malicious nodes.

I can´t evaluate by myself the accuracy of the findings of the study that states that "malicious miners hijacking what amounts to an eye-popping 5% of XMR in circulation"  but looks quite worrying for privacy oriented coins. How can you actually check that Monero is being produced honestly? And for that matter, others like electroneun, verge,...

The article is annoyingly lacking details. What does it mean - malicious mining? Botnets? Many coins are targeted by botnets, but CPU-mineable ones obviously are more at risk. I'm surprised it's not 50%.
mamichula

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 04:17:55 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

The article took to long in explaining what the problem was. It makes it sound as though a group came in and stol 5% of all Monero willy nilly, but it sounds that they're just talking about Malware. Which can happen with most other coins.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7404

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 06:49:47 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Bitcoin.com never give detailed/accurate news Roll Eyes
But, most likely they meant 5% of XMR hashrate came from hijacked device or 5% of XMR coin supply was mined with hijacked device.

Also, verify total coins mined from private/fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero isn't difficult since they don't hide the amount of mined coins in their coinbase transaction.
But coins such as Verge isn't really private since every transaction is transparent just like Bitcoin.
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:52:07 PM

Bitcoin.com never give detailed/accurate news Roll Eyes
But, most likely they meant 5% of XMR hashrate came from hijacked device or 5% of XMR coin supply was mined with hijacked device.

Also, verify total coins mined from private/fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero isn't difficult since they don't hide the amount of mined coins in their coinbase transaction.
But coins such as Verge isn't really private since every transaction is transparent just like Bitcoin.

Oh, thank you! That must be why they link all this to Coinhive and the like.
mgoz

Activity: 265
Merit: 232

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 07:00:16 PM
Merited by theymos_away (4)

This is original report:
https://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2018/06/unit42-rise-cryptocurrency-miners/

I've seen a decent amount of popular sites infected with JS crypto malware, primarily through their ad servers, that mines when visiting the site. Pretty obvious when your fans start going crazy and CPU load is 100%. As long as scammers are paying customers, Google doesn't seem to care about serving malware and phishing sites through ads. Just last week, if you searched for eBay, a scammer had an ad at the top of results with fake virus alerts and crypto mining when visiting. Obviously scammers are making more money than what it costs to run the campaigns if they continue to do it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: