Bitcoin Forum
April 02, 2024, 07:04:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] ZhashOS, Mine in 3 EZ steps, Power $aving Pendrive OS, Keep Win10/7 Intact.  (Read 1717 times)
Overdrive5 (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 09:47:26 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2018, 10:42:00 PM by Overdrive5

TLDR;

-Boot from pendrive, keep your windows intact.

-For the new BitcoinZ Zhash algo and other asic resistant Equihash 192,7, 144,5, 96,5 and 210,9 algos.

-For all NVIDIA cards GTX 9XX and 10XX series 2GB and up.

-Compact, download under 500MB. For 2GB+ USB Pendrives (USB 3.0 recommended).

-Just download, flash your 2GB+ USB flash drive with etcher (etcher.io), plug the USB into your PC, Set your BIOS to boot the USB before the hardrive, Boot, Configure in 3 EZ steps and get to mining!.

- 0.5% Dev Fee + 0.5% BitcoinZ Community Fund Fee = 1% Total Fee.

-Please read the readme 1st pdf to understand the install & config process:
http://www.altcap.biz/ZhashOSdocs/1stReadMe1st.pdf

-Mega Download: https://mega.nz/#!G3oHEYJQ!zn8K5XtdjDZ-62o4pxaXYjmZtL_DdLpikiLh_EHRGvw

Full details:

Hey Fellow Miners,

I have been developing and mining a simple version of Micro Linux for my personal rigs over the last year now.

Here's a couple of screen shots of the eye candy erm....I mean desktop in operation. Hopefully this will put Windows Users at ease and maybe even intrigued enough to check it out.

Desktop:
http://www.altcap.biz/ZhashOSdocs/DesktopView.png

Desktop Mining:

I have built a custom version of it to handle the new harder equihash parameters that are hopefully more ASIC resistant.

So it can be used to mine coins that use the new equihash 192,7, 144,5, 96,5 and 210,9 parameters.

The idea of this came about as I am a fan of BitcoinZ which has done an algo change on June 16th,2018.

In the original testing on June 10th, the new algo was making 1060 3GB cards unusable in Win 10 for mining. Something about Win 10 using to much GPU memory for itself and not leaving enough for mining the new equihash or Zhash parameters.

So the only option at the time was to fall back to Win 7.

Knowing that Linux did not have that problem, and wanting them to not be left out or have to regress their windows, I decided to build this O/S as a work around for them.

But as I said, It will work with all newer NVIDIA cards.

Also, knowing most were Windows users are not Linux aware, My main goal was to make this as easy peasy as possible for them.

Just download, flash your 2GB or larger USB flash drive with etcher, pop the USB into your PC, Set your BIOS to boot the USB before the hardrive, Boot, Configure in 3 EZ steps and get to mining!

Then you can keep your Win10 intact. You can also use like I do and not even have a hardrive/SSD installed at all on your rig. Saves me few bucks on my rigs that way. And uses less power as well.

I think most Windows users think of Linux as not very user friendly and lots of command line  configuration stuff.

While that was true in the beginning(1994-2004), there has been a push to make things more user friendly over the years. I feel it has come a long way since then.

I very rarely have to config anything on the command line anymore.

So, I set about my task of putting together a easy to deploy and configure solution. And once set, it will be stable and just flat work.

While I was working on this, EWBF released his much faster miner two days ago. Kudos to him for his work.

Soooo, we stopped the printing presses and built a brand new version with updated drivers using his miner instead. What is this "sleep" you speak of? LOL!

So that's the history of how I/we made ZhashOS.

Since EWBF's release, some people are claiming success with 3GB cards in Win 10, others are not.

Please read the readme 1st pdf to understand the install & config process:
http://www.altcap.biz/ZhashOSdocs/1stReadMe1st.pdf

BTW, this is also a full featured O/S complete with Spreadsheet, Word Processor,Email,Chat, Paint,Web Browser, FTP etc.

I have been using this Micro Linux since it came out in 2006 and was an instant fan. Not bad for a 900 MB O/S. When was the last time you heard of O/S install measure in MB's?

4GB RAM recommended, 2GB Minimum. If you have at least 4GB ram, You do not need *any* swapfile(Virtual Memory).  The whole thing loads into a ram drive and is lightening fast.  If you look at the CPU utilization screen when it was mining you will see Total CPU was running at 8%. Basically  idling.

Old download link removed see new version down below

Be sure and read the readme completely before starting.

First formal release  with: New Nvidia 387 driver, EWBF Miner, Basic miner crash recovery, Dev(0.5%) and BTCZ Fund(0.5%) fee sharing engaged, More icons set on the desktop for user ease of access, updated readme to help new installations. etc.

We are going to handle the fee arrangement a little differently.

I set it up to 50% share mining on it for about 15 minutes a day. You and I would split mining shares for the 15 minutes.  The other 23hours 45 minutes are all yours of coarse.  

I guess we would kind of call it a dev fee. That would work out to be roughly a 0.5% fee.

I would rather do it this way because most pools are PPLNS.

Being a miner myself, I'm thinking if you stop mining on your pool account completely like most Dev fees work, it would be more harmful to your daily earnings.

Rather, if you slow down for a period of time while sharing with me would be less harmful as the pool will see you haven't stopped completely.

I will use the fee to further feature enhancement going forward.

Some of the thoughts I have are self-monitoring and repair of mining crashing i e watchdog, automatic fan and power control to keep the card safe when it gets warm, have the "option" to activate being able to remote into a PC via remote desktop, keeping up with new releases, adding other btcz miners as they are developed Etc. Things like that.

We have also set up another 15 minutes for the bitcoinZ Community Fund. So they would get a 0.5% fee donation as well.

So your total donation would be roughly 1%.

So check it out. Linux has come a long way since its beginning. It has a pretty good proven track record of just flat working which is why most servers are using it. If it is good enough for them than it probably is good enough for us as well. eh?

Update: June 19th 2018
Release 2 of ZhashOS is now availible.

Updated to EWBF 0.2 cuda 8 which allows us to use a more mature nvidia driver.

Added a icon for editing GPUoverclock.sh plus a dialog box reminder/instructions to activate it after editing. Be sure and restart the miner after you activate it.

Added "Take a Shot" screen shot program.

Have shrunk the download size to under 500MB. Will fit on to a 2GB USB Flash Drive now. USB 3.0 drives are still highly recommended. It is 6x-10x faster. Makes boot times measured in seconds.

Update July 4th 2018
Release 2.01 of ZhashOS is now available

-Updated to EWBF 0.3 for up to 10% faster hashrate depending on the card.

-Revised the 1streadme1st document to give further guidance

-added FAQ.PDf to instruct on setting up Power/Fan Speed/Overclock settings on GPU. Very Important!

-Made password change function (passwd) operational. All users setting up Remote Desktop are highly recomended to set thier own password for the rig.

-Shrunk the download even further. Now ~475MB.

Update July 17th 2018
ZhashOS Release 2.02 is now available.

-Updated to EWBF 0.4

Improved performance for algo 144_5 and maxwell gpus,

Allows launching over 9 gpus in a single instance

Update August 1st 2018

ZhashOS Release 2.03 is now available.

-Updated to EWBF 0.5 Improved performance for algo 144_5 and maxwell gpus,
I am seeing 14-15% increase on 1070ti's

-Updated Faq.pdf with more questions answered.

-Modified StopZhash.sh to work better with certain high power CPU's

-Added more information pertaining to P106-100 type GPU's in EditGPUoverclock.sh

-Fixed a small formatting bug in EditGPUoverclock.sh reminder dialog box.

Update October 28 2018

ZhashOS Release 3 rc2 is now available

-HUGE improvement in setup time and ease with our new SetupWiz. One "new" user reported he was mining in 2 minutes after boot.

-Now includes a enhanced software watchdog that monitors "multiple" GPU parameters for crashes and will reset the miner or restart the desktop depending on what is needed.

-Also now has "SmartFan", a option to run the fans at the "minimum" speed needed to maintain your target GPU temperature. If set correctly, this may extend fan life.

-Updated EWBF to 0.6, added MiniZ 1.0c, gminer 1.05 and bminer 10.2.

Update November 06 2018

ZhashOS Release 3 is now available

-Added extra support features.

-Turned off unneeded ports in firewall when Remote Desktop is not activated.

-Updated MiniZ 1.0e and gminer 1.07.

# MD5
b5b97643338b55156b773a2fc43a6bcf  ZhashOS_r3.img.zip

Mega Download: https://mega.nz/#!G3oHEYJQ!zn8K5XtdjDZ-62o4pxaXYjmZtL_DdLpikiLh_EHRGvw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
faneatiku

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 10:39:54 PM

Nice job man!

t1PXEBJZ6pgnkGmPyJKDNqD8yEDQSJ7mFoB
Graal

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 11:08:00 PM

here is a torrent for faster download, please dont forget to seed

ZhashOS1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c6kUkN6R4Js-d78vPqYkmsvEqEQAyQ9Z/view?usp=sharing
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 11:28:39 PM

here is a torrent for faster download, please dont forget to seed

ZhashOS1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c6kUkN6R4Js-d78vPqYkmsvEqEQAyQ9Z/view?usp=sharing

Dude!! You are awesome! I'll get right on it!
chancefx

Activity: 153

In Decentralization We Trust

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:39:24 AM

Cool, glad to see you here!

Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 04:11:57 AM

Cool, glad to see you here!

Hey Chancefx, Yep, finally got the formal release done.

Thanks again for your beta testing! It was very helpful.
Coin++

Activity: 810
Merit: 444

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:10:31 AM

Made the USB key with unetbootin from Ubuntu.
I have an error message of not enough memory space at boot with a 8 and 16 GB key (and 16 GB RAM).

My favorite faucets to earn real free bitcoins/satoshis : Moon BitCoin and Bit Fun.
You want some free AltCoins ? It's here : BCH (Bitcoin Cash) Moon BitCoinCash - DASH (Dash) Moon Dash - DOGE (DogeCoin) Moon DogeCoin - LTC (LiteCoin) Moon LiteCoin.
You want some free LBC (Lbry Credits) ? My LBC invite : Lbry.tv - LBC (Lbry Credits).
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 01:44:12 PM

I have an error message of not enough memory space at boot with a 8 and 16 GB key (and 16 GB RAM).

Hello,

If you are using Linux for flashing, Just unzip and use dd

dd if=/<Directory Of File>/ZhashOS_r1.img.zip of=/dev/XXX

XXX being the location of your usb flash drive. Make sure it is not currently mounted.
Coin++

Activity: 810
Merit: 444

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 12:20:09 AM

Hello,

XXX being the location of your usb flash drive. Make sure it is not currently mounted.
I forgot dd :-).
Made the USB key with etcher, as you wrote in your pdf and all work fine.
Will you make an upgrade with the new EWBF version (0.2) ?
Thank you for your excellent job (less 4 GO).

My favorite faucets to earn real free bitcoins/satoshis : Moon BitCoin and Bit Fun.
You want some free AltCoins ? It's here : BCH (Bitcoin Cash) Moon BitCoinCash - DASH (Dash) Moon Dash - DOGE (DogeCoin) Moon DogeCoin - LTC (LiteCoin) Moon LiteCoin.
You want some free LBC (Lbry Credits) ? My LBC invite : Lbry.tv - LBC (Lbry Credits).
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 08:19:26 PM

Hello,

I forgot dd :-).
Made the USB key with etcher, as you wrote in your pdf and all work fine.
Will you make an upgrade with the new EWBF version (0.2) ?
Thank you for your excellent job (less 4 GO).

I have been working on release 2 with the new EWBF 0.2 cuda 8 version and taking to the rigs to test. If all is well I will upload in a few hours.

Using NVIDIA driver 348.111 my "works everywhere" driver.

my release 2 will have a easier to setup Power/Fan Speed/Overclock function to activate on boot.

Also, what is (less 4 GO)?
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 09:10:57 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2018, 08:32:39 PM by Overdrive5

Also, the download size is now under 500MB.

Shrunk the partition to under 2GB.

O/S is only 900MB so it still has plenty of room to live in.

Also, besides "screeny", I added "Take a shot" a screen capture program.

http://www.altcap.biz/ZhashOSdocs/DesktopView.png
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:47:16 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2018, 08:47:26 PM by Overdrive5

Release 2 of ZhashOS is now availible.

Updated to EWBF 0.2 cuda 8 which allows us to use a more mature nvidia driver.

Added a icon for editing GPUoverclock.sh plus a dialog box reminder/instructions to activate it after editing. Be sure and restart the miner after you activate it.

Added "Take a Shot" screen shot program.

Have shrunk the download size to under 500MB. Will fit on to a 2GB USB Flash Drive now. USB 3.0 drives are still highly recommended. It is 6x-10x faster. Makes boot times measured in seconds.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4481713.msg40261859#msg40261859
AcharyaOne

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:54:00 PM

First formal release  with: New Nvidia 387 driver, EWBF Miner, Basic miner crash recovery, Dev(0.5%) and BTCZ Fund(0.5%) fee sharing engaged, More icons set on the desktop for user ease of access, updated readme to help new installations. etc.

I am a windows user but I don't understand how does that fee work, I mean, if we start the image from the pen, won't we be able to mine anything and any way we want?
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:10:09 PM

First formal release  with: New Nvidia 387 driver, EWBF Miner, Basic miner crash recovery, Dev(0.5%) and BTCZ Fund(0.5%) fee sharing engaged, More icons set on the desktop for user ease of access, updated readme to help new installations. etc.

I am a windows user but I don't understand how does that fee work, I mean, if we start the image from the pen, won't we be able to mine anything and any way we want?

Yes, You will be able to mine any coin EWBF 0.2 supports.

Our hope is you would mine BTCZ

But that is not a requirement.

And you will not penalized for mining other coins.
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:52:43 PM

But to be clear, The fee will still be intact.
FollowWings

Activity: 173

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 07:31:16 PM

Good job Bro! Keep it up! Wink
I will stick with your platform as soon as AMD Zhash miner is out!
AcharyaOne

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:37:05 PM

How does the fee work?
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:42:33 PM

How does the fee work?

We are going to handle the fee arrangement a little differently.

Being a miner myself, I'm thinking if you stop mining on your pool account completely like most Dev fees work, it would be more harmful to your daily earnings.

Rather, if you slow down for a period of time while sharing with me would be less harmful as the pool will see you haven't stopped completely.

I will use the fee to further feature enhancement going forward.

Some of the thoughts I have are self-monitoring and repair of mining crashing i e watchdog, automatic fan and power control to keep the card safe when it gets warm, have the "option" to activate being able to remote into a PC via remote desktop, keeping up with new releases, adding other btcz miners as they are developed Etc. Things like that.
AcharyaOne

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:27:51 AM

Maybe I have to try booting from your image because I don't understand how you will get any fee from a linux os.
If I want to use your OS a fee will always apply even if I try another miner?

Maybe it is all evident for you but for me and I guess for many people more it isn't and that's probably one of the reasons there aren't many posts here.
Overdrive5 (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:56:02 AM

Maybe I have to try booting from your image because I don't understand how you will get any fee from a linux os.
If I want to use your OS a fee will always apply even if I try another miner?

Maybe it is all evident for you but for me and I guess for many people more it isn't and that's probably one of the reasons there aren't many posts here.

Try it, It is built to give windows users a Graphical Desktop instead of a cold hard command line for setup. You will make a few edits into a windows notepad like program to setup your mining pool info. That text file is heavily commented to explain which line to edit.

Yes, Even if you try another miner, the fee will still apply. We will just won't sharing the same miner, that's all. Are you not interested in using EWBF?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: