Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:41:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asic will always beat gpu because a simple firmware update can match current alg  (Read 249 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:13:12 AM

So I heard that a simple firmware update can match the current algo fork made to stay anti asic.

Is this true? If so, the war is over..asic wins?
SixLitr

Activity: 62
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 02:18:18 AM

This is not true. ASICs are designed to perform one algorithm and in most cases, the fork of the algo makes it so that a simple firmware flash won't allow it to keep mining. If it didn't there would be no reason to hard fork.
toefu

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:54:01 AM

all depends on how the fork was implemented. What you're seeing here though is that the new forks are simply requiring more memory (which gpu's dont lack), and asics tend to skimp out on any hardware they can to help with profits. Cryptonight heavy for example. so a simple firmware update can't solve a problem where you simply dont have the necessary hardware to handle the fork.
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:02:53 AM

Digital FUD Lord at it again eh?  Some things never change.
brokencodesq

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 04:40:53 AM

So I heard that a simple firmware update can match the current algo fork made to stay anti asic.

Let me spell it out for you.
ASIC
Application Specific Integrated Circuit.

Essentially, an FPGA bitstream HARD COPY. Meaning no FIRMWARE... It is literally a printed integrated circuit that cannot be changed.

So no... No firmware help for you.

Junkey

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 05:58:31 AM

You must have no clue how an asic actually works if you think this blanket statement could be true.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:45:55 AM

You are confused with FGPA.

ASICs have chips which are semiconductors which were pressed from the factory and have switches that cannot be altered in anyway, it's impossible. Only downfall to ASIC is that they can't be upgraded in anyway. The benefit however over everything else is that they are much more efficient than any other mining methods like GPU or FGPA mining.

I think some of the Baikal miners can be upgraded but the update is not public or will be released for free.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: