View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:02:08 AM

Guessing you didn't buy this directly from Bitmain... since they don't ship power cords.

Bad news:  Although some get away with powering an S9 on a dedicated 110V 15Amp circuit, doing so is dangereous.   Circuit breakers are rated at 80% continuous load, so a 15 amp breaker running at 110V can safely handle 12amps full time.  Your going to be pulling 1372W+10% ~-= 1509 W/110V = 13.72 amps, presuming you don't run it faster than 14 TH.  Some of my 14TH S9s run at 14.5TH, so draw 14.21 amps.

Good news:  Looks like you have all 20 amp breakers.  Big question is if you have 12 gauge wire running between the breakers and those outlets, which are 15 amp only.  That is a bit of a weird combination.  If you do, I'd just watch the temp at the power outlet.  If you don't, you may start a fire by melting the wires in your wall.

Safest thing to do is to wire up a 220V socket off that stove connection.  Your local Home Depot (or equivalent) should have the plug.

How many miners do you plan on running long term?  That 50 amp socket should be able to safely handle 5 of them.

Give us more details on your plan and we might be able to get a bit more specific.

You will, of course, have to buy matching C13 to NEMA 6-something power cords, depending on what sockets you select.  Easily found via Google.  I bought mine from Volex.

Remeber these things are load, like vacuum cleaners, and hot, like space heaters running on full 7x24.  You will need to plan for ventilation.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 06:20:30 AM

OK, lets see: 

Amazon - hope that works out for you.  Unless you buy directly from Bitmain you don't get a warranty.

Would you know 12 gauge vs. 15 gauge wire if you saw it?  If so, pull a wall receptical and see how its wired...  or better yet, pull both the receptical and the breaker and see if they appear to use the same wire.   The stuff you got looks OLD - who knows how many patch jobs were done to it over the years.   Still a bit concerned about pulling that much current at 110V, but the receptical should handle it - only breakers have the 80% rule.  So yeah, if the wire is good, you should be good.  Of course, I'd suggest having a qualified electrician check it out.

220V:  Meant buy the plug, some wire, a rig something.  Of course, do so only if your comfortable doing so.  That doesn't sound like the case, so perhaps ask a friend who is?

1 makes it easier.  Its a cheat, but only for the 6 weeks... just buy the plug and wire it to a regular 110V receptical (putting that in a box of course).  Test it, and watch it, but running 220V through it will cut the amperage in half.  Rather suspect the receptical would handle the extra voltage without any problem.  You could even get away with using 15 gauge wire - which is both cheaper and easier to work with.  Do keep it as short as practical - under 20 feet would be good.  Note that wiring would be simple presuming you can identify the ground lead in the plug.  That one gets the bare copper, after that, it doesn't matter which terminal gets the black and which gets the white, since both will be hot (e.g. no neutral).  Again, probably best to get a friend that is comfortable building this for you.

Google NEMA standards chart images.  For all the common voltages and amperages there is a NEMA specified code - one for the plug, one for the receptical.  C13 is what goes into the PSU, other end goes into your receptical.

Actually, using (2) PSUs is not a bad idea, if you happen to have a few laying around - just make sure each is plugged into a different breaker.  One PSU powers 1 hash board and the controller (4 PCI-E plugs), the other powers the other two hash boards (6 PCI-E plugs).  Do not mix PSUs across hash cards.

No "dorm fridge" or similar setup has the BTU requirements to cool a S9.  Sounds like you need to rig ventilation outside - plenty of post showing 6" dryer duct for that purpose.  The S9 was designed to be used in an industrial setting, your either going to have to deal with the noise one way or another, there is no easy way to quiet it.

minefarmbuy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221

We are not retail.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 02:46:40 PM

The pics are tight, I wonder if they wrapped the outlets in tape because they were touching wires and shorting the circuits. Could be an old practice if an older home or someone who wasn't able to set the receptacle well with wires behind. Cant really see the mesh wires but my old 1965 home has what your speaking to, not much of an issue if everything is in good condition still, though it may be hard to know what gauge was used. I would air on the side of 14 gauge.

If the 220 line free, it's your best bet. I would just plug in a pdu that fits the receptacle or replace it with one that will match a pdu for a 50a line. if your unit comes with a psu just will need a different power cord for to match the socket on pdu and your power is pretty optimal.

If your using AC to cool the s9, I would look to vent not cool as already suggested. It's pretty redundant and usually not cost/profit effective, with one s9 pending your kw/hr cost you'll be in the negative unless power isn't an issue.

Keeping the order or canceling is really a judgement call, if you're really interested in mining, one asic is great way to learn and find all the pain points with power, noise and heat and may very well better prepare you for your move and setting up there as well.

Worst case scenario the unit sits in box till move and set up then. Ensure it's working properly of course when you receive.

Premier asic sourcing minefarmbuy.com #mineon
Twitter:@minefarmbuy -LN Tips-
Email: info@minefarmbuy.com PGP:1A1C A4D4 CE04 F57E 1C0C 5240 592A 09BF CCB4 F0C3
ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 05:18:44 PM

I would feel better if you locked into that 220 solution - as would everyone else if you ever need help.  The first question always asked is "Are you running on 220?".

I'd also feel better if you cancelled and ordered directly from Bitmain.  You have no idea what you might be getting from Amazon, and you won't get a warranty.  However doing so would likely result in a several week delay.

Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 07:45:34 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2018, 12:35:13 AM by frodocooper

Cancel your order, as mentioned you have no warranty unless you order from Bitmain. I imagine you paid a pretty good premium over Bitmain's direct price as well.

Second, just so you know there's not just one type of outlet for 220v. Again, like mentioned look over the NEMA plug pictures on the Internet. And please stop guessing on wire gauge!

Don't try to cludge it together, at the least you'll be out money, at the most you could hurt yourself or your family. I'd wait until you move and then either use an existing 220v outlet or have one installed.

minefarmbuy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221

We are not retail.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 05:39:23 PM

I would feel better if you locked into that 220 solution - as would everyone else if you ever need help.  The first question always asked is "Are you running on 220?".

I'd also feel better if you cancelled and ordered directly from Bitmain.  You have no idea what you might be getting from Amazon, and you won't get a warranty.  However doing so would likely result in a several week delay.

Part of our service is working with you for warranty, since we use your money to buy you get all invoicing from manufacturers even with group buys. Don't have to worry about how much warranty is left since you know when it was ordered, have order numbers for reference and can use our support if needed.

Personally I have ordered off of ebay in the past, got a lemon and got some champs from the 3 units I bought there.

Premier asic sourcing minefarmbuy.com #mineon
Twitter:@minefarmbuy -LN Tips-
Email: info@minefarmbuy.com PGP:1A1C A4D4 CE04 F57E 1C0C 5240 592A 09BF CCB4 F0C3
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:12:01 PM

This does not address the power question but - next time go with Canaan's Avalons, the latest is the A841. Why? Because Canaan actually has several Authorized Distributors around the world -meaning full 2-year Warranty support - and they take credit cards. In the US I prefer using Blokforge.com

For cords, most of the time I get mine from Stayonline.com who actually make the cords which have full CE/UL certifications..

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: