Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:38:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: International bitcoin scam costs investor big  (Read 3474 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:18:52 AM

International bitcoin scam costs investor big

An Eau Claire man has reported losing more than $150,000 in an international Internet scam using a different kind of money.

Jamie Russell, a 34-year-old software engineer who lives in Eau Claire, first invested in bitcoin — digital currency exchanged through a peer-to-peer network — in August 2012. He purchased hundreds of bitcoins in their infancy for $5 per coin. Since then the currency has increased in value to more than $800 apiece.

Concerned about the security of his digital bitcoins, Russell agreed to digitally submit 201.7 bitcoins to a man in the United Kingdom for 190 physical bitcoins, or tokens with a bitcoin digital key hidden behind a tamper-proof strip. (Russell actually has some of the physical currency, which he keeps in a safe place outside his home.)

Between Dec. 9 and 11, Russell transmitted digital bitcoins worth $151,275 to the digital wallet of a man who identified himself as David Williamson, according to an Eau Claire police report. The men met through the website bitcointalk.org and had been in contact for more than a year, and Russell came to trust Williamson.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/front_page/article_1aa3067a-8d5e-11e3-b8d8-001a4bcf887a.html

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mivexil

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:29:47 AM

Wow, we have "publicity".

Seriously though, contacting someone anonymous for a $150k investment and not even using an escrow? Somehow I'm not surprised he got scammed.

I guess there will be some logs somewhere over here...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:01:46 AM

Buying physical bitcoins is not a bad idea.... but he should have bought them from a reputed seller. Anyway I don't think there are many, after Casascius shut down his shop.
Mr. Socko

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:18:32 AM

Anybody smart enough to invest in bitcoin should have been smart enough not to fall for a scam and do his homework. Sorry but a fool and his money are parted. He should have put his services in me. I would have made him all the paper wallets he wanted and only charged him 1 or 2 BTC for the service (I wouldn't insure however because nothing is certain in life.)
bitcerto

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:30:55 AM

I'm in the wrong industry.
nitehawk

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Worldcore - Banking for the Future

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:40:05 AM

I wonder. ... If it was 150k cash would he have still givin it to a stranger ?

Maybe I'm crazy but if bitcoin has value like that and I wouldn't give cash to a complete stranger why would I do it with bitcoin ? It amazes me sometimes when I see scams like this or the others around here who expect you to send cash ( real cash ) up front and hope they send me bitcoins ... I know people here in DC who would rob you for pocket change let alone 100k

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄█████████████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████████████▄
    ▄█████████████████▀▀▀██████████
   █████████████████       ███████
  ██████▀▀▀████████   ███   ██████   █
 █████       ██████   ███   ██████   ██
 ████   ███   █████   ███   █████   ███
█████   ███   █████   ███    ████   ████
█████   ███   █████   ████   ████   ████
████    ███   ████   █████   ███   █████
████   ████   ████   █████   ███   █████
▀███   ████   ████   ██████       █████
 ███   █████   ███   ████████▄▄▄███████
  █   ██████   ███   █████████████████
      ███████       █████████████████
     ██████████▄▄▄█████████████████▀
     ▀███████████████████████████▀
       ▀▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Worldcore
▄▄
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
▀▀  ██
    ██
    ▄▄
    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ▀▀
██   
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:41:07 AM

That's just stupid.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:46:04 AM

is this based on the same story?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=393593.msg4922396#msg4922396

frankenmint
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:55:26 AM

That's just stupid.

Agreed.  No offense Mr. Russel, I know you're really livid from this loss and everything...but why on earth WOULD YOU EVER NOT CONSIDER ESCROW FOR A TRANSACTION THAT IS GREATER THAN 500 DOLLARS?!?

I mean HFS wow, I understand how folks with 2fa could get hacked because they were silly and left their wallet dump on an open dropbox account...but your situation was 100% preventable, I'll leave you alone now, I'm very sorry to hear of this news, I hope on everything that this is an FUD hoax.

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:21:16 AM

Correct, the scammer is Projects, a once "trusted" member here on this forum. He would regularly carry out trades worth $10k+ btw.

The article relates to just one of the victims. Projects managed to scam ~$500,000 during November/December from a whole bunch of people based entirely on his history and trusted status here on this forum.

A lesson for everyone.
frankenmint
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 11:24:42 AM

Correct, the scammer is Projects, a once "trusted" member here on this forum. He would regularly carry out trades worth $10k+ btw.

The article relates to just one of the victims. Projects managed to scam ~$500,000 during November/December from a whole bunch of people based entirely on his history and trusted status here on this forum.

A lesson for everyone.

Escrow Escrow Escrow...if the amount carries sufficient counterparty risk such that there is more than $120,000 USD at stake, then you need to do multiple escrows or deal with them person to person, preferably with armed guards and during the business hours of YOUR bank in a downtown area in a first world nation...

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:45:59 AM

Escrow Escrow Escrow...if the amount carries sufficient counterparty risk such that there is more than $120,000 USD at stake, then you need to do multiple escrows or deal with them person to person, preferably with armed guards and during the business hours of YOUR bank in a downtown area in a first world nation...
Escrow with who? A trusted member here?

(I agree, and I'm sure all the victims feel a bit daft, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Projects really was a trusted member.)
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:38:15 PM

And next thing we hear - "People investing in bitcoin lose their money! This man lost a lot of money after he decided to buy  digital currency and so have others, we advise you to stay away".

tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:16:11 PM

For an amount that size, I would take the week off work, fly down to the buyer and make the transaction in person. Do some site seeing, hookers and blow, then fly back home.

Or just use escrow.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 03:21:42 PM

Can't wait for those Nigerian emailers to start using Bitcoin:

"Dear Precious One,

"I am Ella Fungibility, widow of the late ambassador to Tunisia, Doctor David Fungibility. My late husband left $50,000,000 worth of bitcoins in a special computer Bitcoin Wallet that he double encrypted. And I am the only one who has the encryption keys.

"I am looking for a way to become an American citizen. If you want to hitch up with me, I'll share the bitcoins with you. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ..."

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
indiekiduk

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 03:26:21 PM

he should have printed out his own numbers on gold coloured card, he could have even cut it to a circle
Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 03:59:27 PM

I would meet up with him as its a sum that is nothing compaired to a plane ticket

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 04:36:56 PM

Escrow with who? A trusted member here?

(I agree, and I'm sure all the victims feel a bit daft, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Projects really was a trusted member.)

Rassah
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 04:42:04 PM

Odd that someone would do something so risky to keep their bitcoins safe.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 04:56:11 PM

Odd that someone would do something so risky to keep their bitcoins safe.

Over and beyond risky, I would say given Projects' post history:

Hi guys,

I am looking for a loan of 100 BTC, this does not have to be all from one person if multiple people are willing to lend to me.
I realise I am a new member (only registered yesterday) however I have been lurking and reading for a while and my reason for registering is for posting this post.
Whilst I know I am trustworthy with the amount of scamming I have read about going on here recently and the anonymity of bitcoin I understand this may be not easy to believe. I am willing to do anything required to prove I am legit - open to suggestions on that one.

I would like this loan to be over 28 days with 10% interest (negociable) with 4 weekly repayments, again terms negociable.

I am happy to answer any/all questions.

Thanks for your time.

Toward the end of Projects' thread...

I IM'ed Projects with some very basic questions.  He ignored the important questions, sent back a useless response to clarify the one optional question, used "u" instead of "you", used incorrect capitalization, and neglected punctuation.  I'm not wasting any more time with this one.

Yet, after all that, somehow a salary worker of an unknown location, who's unable to control his own finances, is able to become a trusted member of the Bitcoin community, whereupon fellow bitcoiners handed over their hard-earned bitcoins to this... this... this... Fuck me! Great-great-uncle Roget has yet to index a word describing this dude.

This is NOT a pour-salt-in-the-open-wounds post. I'm just simply amazed--AGAIN!

~TMIBTCITW
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: