Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:23:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which do you think is safer? POW or POS?  (Read 140 times)
CottonGuy (OP)

Activity: 185
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 06:30:00 AM

Can Casper protocol really make a difference when it comes to security?

read more in here: https://blockgeeks.com/guides/proof-of-work-vs-proof-of-stake/

richan

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 06:35:41 AM

Proof of stake seems more safer and rewarding than proof of work. With proof of work, you need to mined with your computing power while with proof of stake ,you just get reward by the staking your already hold coins.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:42:56 AM

Without knowing the technical details too much, Proof of Stake sounds like the currently only option for a viable future growth in crypto?
considering how much electricity Bitcoin consumes as an example.

but I don't know too much about the security and such.
Couldn't a "bad actor" simply just get an equally large amount of power from mining if it's PoW,
compared with just staking a large amount? 

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
CottonGuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 09:48:20 AM

Does Casper protocol play a vital role on the security when it comes to POS?
wulian18

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:29:49 PM

For now, pow is safer because she has been running this way for many years without problems. However, pos is still very little to run and there is no way to completely believe it.
DrMill

Activity: 104
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 02:55:03 PM

Perhaps it's not about safety, but about saving resource: POS is more economical. Therefore, I'm more inclined towards PoS mechanism, or even Delegated Proof of Stake (DPoS) used by such cryptocurrency as BitShares.

https://www.skyfchain.io/
SKYFchain is the first blockchain based
Business-to-Robots (B2R) Operating Platform
dashi555

Activity: 72
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 04:28:15 PM

I think pos is safer, because it does not depend on hardware, but it holds quantity, just like the current ownership structure, it is safe.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:40:06 PM

for those depending on it for consensus/transaction validation, yes.

but at this point, it's not clear whether casper extends to ethereum as a whole, or rather a hypothetical casper sidechain or casper consensus shard. the core devs may be rolling it out as a new system overlaying (rather than replacing) the core POW-based protocol.

probably a smart move. they can minimize the shock of transitioning away from POW, and also quarantine problems if the casper rollout sees unexpected bugs.

CottonGuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2018, 07:13:32 AM

For now, pow is safer because she has been running this way for many years without problems. However, pos is still very little to run and there is no way to completely believe it.

Is it prone to abuse since there will be no mining that will happen?

Perhaps it's not about safety, but about saving resource: POS is more economical. Therefore, I'm more inclined towards PoS mechanism, or even Delegated Proof of Stake (DPoS) used by such cryptocurrency as BitShares.

You are right but in the end it really doesn't matter how economical if your investments aren't safe. I guess this is really the trend now and more people are adopting into it cos most of new innovations are already in PoS or DPoS.

probably a smart move. they can minimize the shock of transitioning away from POW, and also quarantine problems if the casper rollout sees unexpected bugs.

Casper is still so young and hasn't been fully implemented and tested. We can't really tell if there are still exploitable bugs or areas that can be abused by anyone.
vagrom

Activity: 479
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:11:08 AM

Both POW and POS can't distinguish who is safe. Personally feel that both ways have their own suitable people.
Both methods require investment. POW need to be invested in mining equipment. POS needs to purchase coins in advance.
Since I do not have mining equipment, I currently participate in the POS a little bit more, but I can only get very few coins.

DarkPayCoin - [100% community governed and built]
[-] Website  [-] ANN Thread  [-] Discord  [-] Twitter  [-] Telegram
\ HIGH ROI, Low supply / - \ A privacy focused MN/PoS coin /
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1353

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:01:03 AM

In PoS-based coins, there are no miners but rather stakeholders that help validate and process transactions in the network. The larger amount of coins you have staking in your wallet, the larger the reward is for you because you are processing a huge numbers of transactions by just leaving your wallet idle. However in PoW-based coins, this is done by miners with their dedicated machines on hashing out tx in the network. On paper, both of them are secure and both also has its faults. The former can easily be gamed by a single whale controlling a huge portion of the coins while on the latter, a 51% attack from the miners can decide the fate of a coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: