Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:47:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How profitable are exchanges?  (Read 15747 times)
Gilberto (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:16:25 AM

MCXNow, Crypsy, BTCT, BTC-E?

I'm conducting a survey to determine the actual profitability of the popular exchanges.

Does anyone have any idea of what the volume is for these exchanges? What these exchanges make weekly or monthly and how we could find out?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zaigon

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:32:19 AM

in theory they make huge amount of money per day 0.2% fee for BTC if the volumen is BIG for example the volumen today is 5800 btc for BTC/USD market from that they make like 12 BTC only from that pair..i rememmber in november when the first big pump of 1100 usd per bitcoin they make 400k usd in 1 day only from fees
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 01:27:19 PM

I'm conducting a survey to determine the actual profitability of the popular exchanges.

Does anyone have any idea of what the volume is for these exchanges? What these exchanges make weekly or monthly and how we could find out?

FEES = BIGGGG MONEY

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 10:16:08 PM

You seem to be a bit confused. MCXNow is pure scam. Cryptsy and BTC-e are arguably functional altcoin marketplaces, and the latter attempts to offer a fiat exchange. BTCT was a wannabe stock exchange that has long since shut down.

What are you trying to find out, exactly?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:59:01 PM

They are making lots of money, but on the other hand they are the main target of government and hacker. Good luck keeping your money safe..

knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 04:32:46 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 05:44:51 AM by knightcoin

+- 2% ... I wondering how much profit EBS, Reuters, interbank, Eurex and ... also .. for stock NASDAQ et All Grin and the data they sell ....

I still waiting for a proper opensource exchange ... Sounds like butter coin will follow bex.io steps .. you going to be like a broker guess not exactly exchange ... an exchange holds far more valuable information ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:55:49 AM

Gox is looking pretty profitable right now!

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 05:04:32 AM

Pretty amazing if your name is Ukyo / Jon Montroll, and you treat all of your customers' deposits as going into your own personal wallet.  Not to mention the other exchanges that vanished suddenly.

To be serious though, I'd imagine the profits are massive. If you get big, you'd have to spend a lot on hardware, and you should be spending tons on security analysis and other good developers, but even after those costs are taken away, it has to be wildly profitable.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:32:27 PM

in theory they make huge amount of money per day 0.2% fee for BTC if the volumen is BIG for example the volumen today is 5800 btc for BTC/USD market from that they make like 12 BTC only from that pair..i rememmber in november when the first big pump of 1100 usd per bitcoin they make 400k usd in 1 day only from fees

True, but some says the volume figures are fake...
scryptographer

Activity: 143

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 12:36:00 AM

Assuming the volume numbers given by Cryptsy's own API are accurate, in the last 24 hours they have made about 6BTC on fees (0.2% of 3043).

BTC-e reports 10,000 BTC trade volume for last 24h in BTC/USD market alone (~20BTC in fees).

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

Nobody releases audited numbers, so you don't know.

In theory, running a large Bitcoin exchange should be reliably profitable. In practice, over half of all Bitcoin exchanges have gone bust.

There's an enormous temptation in financial services companies to speculate with the customer's money. This was a major cause of the 2008 financial collapse. In the Bitcoin world, with no audits, it's probably common.
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:05:15 AM

From Cryptostocks.com

From dividends section: Period = 1 week
Dividend Payout 01/25
Collected Fees This Period:  (Jan 17 - Jan 23)

BTC Fees: 335.28 btc
LTC Fees: 1100.02 ltc @ 0.0266 =  29.26 btc
XPM Fees: 163.86 xpm @ 0.00357 =  0.585 btc

Total Fees Collected:  365.125 btc

Btc=C2MF       Free BTC Poker
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. -Marilyn vos Savant
efarah2549

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:30:27 AM

Extremely profitable that's why it is so insane that mt gox has not gone through any effort to fix their issue or even offer competent customer relations.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 01:09:39 PM

Extremely profitable that's why it is so insane that mt gox has not gone through any effort to fix their issue or even offer competent customer relations.

Gox probably borrowed a lot of their customers coins early on without permission and the price jumped and they could not catch up buying back. Just my opinion.
D05GTO

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:26:30 PM

If it's a Registered MSB in the USA, then it costs a mint just to get started.   Would be to high of a risk investment for me personally.  But no risk no reward.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Revolution

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

Trading BTC, looking for amazon cards

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:19:20 PM

If it's a Registered MSB in the USA, then it costs a mint just to get started.   Would be to high of a risk investment for me personally.  But no risk no reward.

Well now it would be a high risk investment unless your exchange service brings something new or a new level of security.

troy112

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:41:24 AM

They make huge amounts of money, but you should also see the opposite side. Hosting fee, support fees, downtimes and all. Its a high risk, there are hacks all the time. You also have to contribute the security needed, and developers...
But yea they do make a lot of money.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:41:29 AM

If you were to multiply their average daily trading volume by ~.5% then you will calculate their revenue.

To calculate their costs is more complicated. They need to pay for support (likely their biggest expense), network access, cloud computing, AML/KYC staff.
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 08:58:25 AM

Mintpal makes half a milion USD per month, according to their volume and fees.

Cryptostats.es
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 07:09:20 PM

exchanges are most profitable if they steal their customers money and dont get caught

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: