Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:38:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How profitable are exchanges?  (Read 15747 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:24:47 AM

MCXNow, Crypsy, BTCT, BTC-E?

I'm conducting a survey to determine the actual profitability of the popular exchanges.

Does anyone have any idea of what the volume is for these exchanges? What these exchanges make weekly or monthly and how we could find out?

I presume you are assuming that the profit that is garnered has no morals?

MXCNOW has shown (as an example) to not care about their users and profit supersedes anything else.

I'd say it is quite profitable. Most scams I would guess are profitable.

BTC-e as a long standing exchange is likely very profitable. I've had little issues with their platform but they seem to have a huge following of users that continue to use their exchange.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:32:09 PM

I'm conducting a survey to determine the actual profitability of the popular exchanges.

Does anyone have any idea of what the volume is for these exchanges? What these exchanges make weekly or monthly and how we could find out?

MXCNOW has shown (as an example) to not care about their users and profit supersedes anything else.

BTC-e as a long standing exchange is likely very profitable. I've had little issues with their platform but they seem to have a huge following of users that continue to use their exchange.

Profit does supersede everything else. When market crashed badly, the leverage position on btc-e loss will eventually need to pass to customers.

DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:30:32 AM

Profit does supersede everything else. When market crashed badly, the leverage position on btc-e loss will eventually need to pass to customers.
I would suspect that any leverage related losses would be passed onto customers on any exchange. I think an interesting new feature for the swaps market to also be able to restrict the borrower as to how much leverage they can use with your swap loan.

This spot for rent.
cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 07:10:07 PM

Key to getting such a nice fees is the trust, so you need to gain trust first, than you can go ahead and run the business. But be carefull, your government is looking after you and you might get banned/siezed/robbed soon.

Bitcoin is DEAD
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:36:42 PM

Mcxnow and his admin realsolid is the perfect example of a not seriously business, an exchange runned by one person and probably a non trusted user.
undeadknight

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

Very profitable, but the risk of losing all the money due to hacker is pretty high.
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:27:51 PM

Mcxnow and his admin realsolid is the perfect example of a not seriously business, an exchange runned by one person and probably a non trusted user.

Any reason lead to this believe?
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:30:57 PM

I think it is safe to say that like most things crypto and has the potential to very lucrative but is also highly speculative.  I guess it can be considered a form of gambling.  The better the gamble the better their odds to win.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:50:32 PM

Any reason lead to this believe?

I have never even heard of MXCnow outside of this specific thread.

This spot for rent.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:05:29 PM

It is an exchange written in native language. And they are not accepting new customer.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:56:41 PM

It is an exchange written in native language. And they are not accepting new customer.

You get interests on your deposits : "25% of all mcxNOW exchange fees go towards paying interest on deposits every 6 hours! "

It seems very risky
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:01:30 PM

Very profitable, but the risk of losing all the money due to hacker is pretty high.

But you have a chance for scamming all your customers closing the exchange unexpectedly so indeed, stills being so profitable   Lips sealed
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:49:00 PM

You get interests on your deposits : "25% of all mcxNOW exchange fees go towards paying interest on deposits every 6 hours! "

It seems very risky
This alone would likely not be risky as it would just be a tactic of the exchange to try to get more people to have coins on and trade on their exchange. IMO it does set a bad precedent of encouraging people to keep funds at an exchange. It also makes them a target to attackers as they know that the exchange has an elevated level of coins under it's control. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
picolo

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:55:20 PM

It seems very risky
This alone would likely not be risky as it would just be a tactic of the exchange to try to get more people to have coins on and trade on their exchange. IMO it does set a bad precedent of encouraging people to keep funds at an exchange. It also makes them a target to attackers as they know that the exchange has an elevated level of coins under it's control. 

0.48%/6h for Bitcoin means 2%/day or 77%/month Wink

You probably have near to 0.48% chance of losing all your BTC every 6hours Grin
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:29:44 PM

It seems very risky

0.48%/6h for Bitcoin means 2%/day or 77%/month Wink

You probably have near to 0.48% chance of losing all your BTC every 6hours Grin
I don't think that exchanges make quite that much money off of trading fees as a percentage of total balances. They might make that much off of each trade, but their entire customer balance does not turn over that quickly.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 09:29:01 PM

Extremely profitable that's why it is so insane that mt gox has not gone through any effort to fix their issue or even offer competent customer relations.

Gox probably borrowed a lot of their customers coins early on without permission and the price jumped and they could not catch up buying back. Just my opinion.

Yes, I suspected they were playing with the market.

I had a lot of friends who played Magic The Gathering and they were always scheming ways to stack their deck...

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:59:37 AM

Extremely profitable that's why it is so insane that mt gox has not gone through any effort to fix their issue or even offer competent customer relations.

Gox probably borrowed a lot of their customers coins early on without permission and the price jumped and they could not catch up buying back. Just my opinion.

I had a lot of friends who played Magic The Gathering and they were always scheming ways to stack their deck...
I would rather argue that gox probably was the subject of an attack several years ago but did not disclose it. They probably were trying to make the lost coins back via trade fees over the years but the price of bitcoin rose too far too fast, making this not something that could happen.
titulng

Activity: 484

HubrisOne

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:00:40 AM

The fee is a legitimate way. - bitstamp, btc-e, lakebtc ...

But some exchanges choose to make a killing, so they gone far away.  - btc-gbl, mcxnow, hkcex ...

Or like some china exchanges, they make false information out to manipulate market price, euphemistically "chinese has controled the bitcoin price!" -  Wink, Wink, Wink, Wink, ...

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

picolo

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:14:30 PM

I would rather argue that gox probably was the subject of an attack several years ago but did not disclose it. They probably were trying to make the lost coins back via trade fees over the years but the price of bitcoin rose too far too fast, making this not something that could happen.

Actually they disclosed that they had been attacked and lost BTC but they didn't say they lost a huge amount that was endangering the business
money420weed

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:44:25 AM

Actually they disclosed that they had been attacked and lost BTC but they didn't say they lost a huge amount that was endangering the business
Gox had been the subject of several attacks over the years. The last malleability attack just went undetected for a long time so they were not able to disclose it. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: