Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:06:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How profitable are exchanges?  (Read 15747 times)
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:54:51 PM

We have learned  nothing from the Mtgox disaster?
All Centralized Exchanger can be fucking hacked Embarrassed

It is very important to use only dezentralized exchanger like http://bithalo.org/
http://blackhalo.info/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
redskins49

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:38:58 PM

I think exchanges have a very high level of compliance costs as they need to verify the identity of everyone who opens an account, but everyone who opens an account may not actually do any trading or actually make a deposit.

I think that most exchanges barely break even.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:44:50 AM

We have learned  nothing from the Mtgox disaster?
All Centralized Exchanger can be fucking hacked Embarrassed

It is very important to use only dezentralized exchanger like http://bithalo.org/
http://blackhalo.info/
This is not true, at least IMO. I would argue that exchanges can earn a fair rate of return for their owners and provide a safe place to trade bitcoin for their customers. I also think that the exchanges should provide incentives to their customers to not hold massive amounts of bitcoin on the exchange, as having massive amounts of bitcoin makes the exchanges a target for hackers.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:12:28 AM

The profit is very big

Example (BTC-E) :

24 hour volume : 1771 BTC
fee : 0,2%

24 hour fee : 1771 * 0,2% = 3.542

1 BTC = 615 USD
1 month fee : 3.542 * 30 * 615 USD = 65349 USD

Sorry, if my calculation is wrong  Embarrassed

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:27:18 AM

The profit is very big
Example (BTC-E) :

I see no mistake in the calculation; but that is the revenue, not profit.  Considering that they have to pay salaries an other expenses, the profit from fees may be ratehr modest.

But they also make money from withdrawal fees; and the may be trading against their clients, with the advantage of knowing the orders of all traders before each trader knows those of other traders. (AFAIK this is illegal in stock exchanges, but there are no regulations for bitcoin exchanges, so why wouldn't they do it?)

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Golph

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

The most profitable exchanges are the one that run away with all the money (mtg).

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. SyeED5YaZeVPows6Zx9z1hJ7twNJrKLrJB
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:37:37 PM

The profit is very big
Example (BTC-E) :

I see no mistake in the calculation; but that is the revenue, not profit.  Considering that they have to pay salaries an other expenses, the profit from fees may be ratehr modest.
I agree, I think that much of most exchanges' revenue is paid on salaries of their employees. I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 

This spot for rent.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:03:17 PM

I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 
That may not be a big item in the budget of that particular exchange, I suppose.  Wink

Are there companies that offer customer identity verification services for other businesses?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Leina

Activity: 152

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

Don't forget owners who operate an exchange that turn scammer will have a permanent marker on their forehead.
BIGbangTheory

Activity: 83

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:12:58 PM

I think that most exchanges need to have a lot of AML employees to verify their customers' identities and to monitor accounts for suspicious activity. 
That may not be a big item in the budget of that particular exchange, I suppose.  Wink

Are there companies that offer customer identity verification services for other businesses?

There probably are but the exchanges still need to pay for this if they outsource it or if they do it in house.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:37:37 PM

Don't forget owners who operate an exchange that turn scammer will have a permanent marker on their forehead.
In the case of BTC-e, it is not known whether the owners have foreheads.  Cheesy

blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:16:12 PM

In the case of BTC-e, it is not known whether the owners have foreheads.  Cheesy

He was referring to the movie where the special forces team go into Germany and capture Naizis, they kill most of them, but they usually let one go, but before they do they use a knife to draw the nazi sign on their forehead, giving them a permanent scar

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:48:21 PM

He was referring to the movie where the special forces team go into Germany and capture Naizis, they kill most of them, but they usually let one go, but before they do they use a knife to draw the nazi sign on their forehead, giving them a permanent scar
Oh.  But, as far as I know, that hasn't happened to a singe one of the many exchange-owners-turned-thieves.  AFAIK, the only such case where justice may be done was in China, where the police arrested the culprits.  Have there been any others?

And, last time I checked, no one knew who the owners of BTC-e were.  That may complicate the revenge plans a bit.

MarketTime

Activity: 188

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:43:53 PM

How do people find out who they are?
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:20:44 AM

PS. I must point out that I am not a trader, so figuring out ways in which exchange owners could cheat on their clients is merely a curious puzzle for me.  Exchange owners have much stronger motivations, so they surely will find much "better "solutions to that puzzle.

One way to find such solutions in to read the laws and SEC regulations that apply to the operation of ordinary stock exchanges.  Every practice that is prohibited by them must be a proven way to unfairly take money from customers; so one can bet that the bitcoin exchange owners are doing it.
Hey, this is copy-paste of a post of mine!  A robot trying to bump his post count?

SHA255

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:51:55 AM

The profit is very big

Example (BTC-E) :

24 hour volume : 1771 BTC
fee : 0,2%

24 hour fee : 1771 * 0,2% = 3.542

1 BTC = 615 USD

Sorry, if my calculation is wrong  Embarrassed
You forgot to include expense like their employees and servers and hosting.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 07:51:48 AM

Is it possible to see the difference between the bid and the offer for an order? That spread is going to the exchange. And their overhead is rather low and the transaction volume is high, so I'd guess there's plenty of profit for them. The benefit to us is that we need the service and the spread is very small per transaction...they make profit on the volume.

I haven't dealt much with the BTC exchanges so I don't know what data a user can actually see.

21pilot

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:59:09 AM

I haven't dealt much with the BTC exchanges so I don't know what data a user can actually see.

most exchanges offer information about the trade volume (and the trade volume for different time frames -> a day, a week, a month...)

blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:14:28 AM

most exchanges offer information about the trade volume (and the trade volume for different time frames -> a day, a week, a month...)
I would speculate that exchanges could potentially sell this kind of data to subscribers some time in the future in a similar manner that exchanges like the NYSE and nasdaq sell their exchange data.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
21pilot

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:27:33 AM

I would speculate that exchanges could potentially sell this kind of data to subscribers some time in the future in a similar manner that exchanges like the NYSE and nasdaq sell their exchange data.

this could indeed be an additional stream of income for current/future exchanges.

At least for the exchange bitfinex there is a large website dedicated to all kinds of data:
bfxdata.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: