Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:22:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Localbitcoins account suspension  (Read 149 times)
intj2018 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 04:42:59 PM

I have a strong localbitcoins account with over 500 trades without any negative feedback from any client, I received the following surprising message a couple of days ago from them

"Hi,

Your account has been suspended from trading because we have reason to believe that you have acted in violation of our Terms of Service. We will lift the suspension as soon as possible once the reasons for the suspension no longer exist.

We will require you to complete some additional ID verification steps.

1. A photograph of you ("Selfie") holding up your ID a long with a note containing your username and today's date.
2. A photograph of a recent utility bill with your name on it.
3. A photograph of your ID held up in front of your computer screen with the whole screen visible (all four corners) and this ticket page visible.

Once you have completed these steps - reply to this support ticket and attach the photographs you've taken.

---
Best regards,
LocalBitcoins"

I submitted the required documents but I still haven't received a reply from them and I've tried to think of all reasons possible for this, and limited the options to three

1- Because I accessed localbitcoins few times from a sanctioned country by the US,,, even though I'm not based in that country but I was visiting some relatives there and accessed from their IP.

2- Because I used a payment method in the name of my wife one time to pay for btc instead of using my account, and the seller might have reported me for that.

3- Because I just passed 500 trades record and this is just an automatic security measure.

Anyone had the same expirence and managed to restore his account? Any advice about how to handle this would be very appreciated!
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 09:54:46 PM

You just have to wait for them to respond to you, mate. And also ask them what's actually triggered this suspension of your account. Sometimes, it does take a while for them to get back and verify that your identity documents are legit.

I think that 1 is the most likely, if you have visited from an IP that is in the country that is sanctioned by the US.

Also, due to the new terms and conditions of LBC, a lot of unverified traders with somewhat significant volume are being asked to provide ID. It could be that they're just suspending your account to force you into verification. But these are all speculation until you actually get a response back from support. In the meanwhile, I wouldn't panic too much.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 3769

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2018, 05:12:38 AM

I do not think the first option is the problem because the documents that you will be asked to provide to verify your account is proof of identity. "ID + username & Date"
Option 2 reference but most often the third option is the cause of the problem where you must provide more documents to ensure that you do not offer launder money service.
Remember that there are a lot of recent regulation rules so requesting this type of documentation is not surprising.
intj2018 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 12:57:36 PM

Thank you, my friends, for your replies.

I just received a notification fro LBC that my account got activated Smiley
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 09:00:59 PM

I do not think the first option is the problem because the documents that you will be asked to provide to verify your account is proof of identity. "ID + username & Date"
Option 2 reference but most often the third option is the cause of the problem where you must provide more documents to ensure that you do not offer launder money service.
Remember that there are a lot of recent regulation rules so requesting this type of documentation is not surprising.

Now that you say this, I think that it was probably this clause that triggered the suspension of OP's account:

If we believe the details are not correct, current, or complete, we have the right to refuse you access to the site, or any of its resources, and to terminate or suspend your account.

I don't know if it's done because of the fact that OP used his wife's bank account to purchase bitcoin, and the seller reported him. But it's very unlikely that it's the 3rd possibility, as clearly it states in the email that he violated some terms of service, and it's not just some routine identity check.

Great! LBC is usually easy to deal with compared to other exchanges, as proven here. Did they state any reasons?
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1136

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 09:28:36 PM

Good to hear buddy that they do already unlocked or activated your account!

Patience would always been the key as long you arent doing something illegal and do submit the things being required of then theres nothing to worry about this matter or issue. Just been wondering on what is the possible reason why they do add up such more verification into your account? Having 500 trades without any negative feedbacks is impressive.

intj2018 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:00:29 AM

There was no mention of the reason, they just sent a message that my account has been activated,, no more,,, no less.

I'm happy that the process took less than 3 days .. GO LBC!
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 08:46:18 PM

There was no mention of the reason, they just sent a message that my account has been activated,, no more,,, no less.

I'm happy that the process took less than 3 days .. GO LBC!

You should try following up with the regarding the problem.

Otherwise, it would be unfair for you as they could literally have any sort of suspicion and still be able to restrict access to your account. If they want to suspend your account, they should first always provide proof of why they are doing so, and on what grounds/suspcions they are coming from. I'd be interested to know what the issue was that led to this suspension as I don't see any apparent ones.

Nice to hear that everything is sorted out, though. LBC is still a great platform to use if you are willing to ID yourself, but probably not so great anymore if you want to remain anonymous.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: