Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:00:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm making my own USB miner  (Read 733 times)
DaDoctor (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 02:59:54 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 03:35:31 PM by DaDoctor

I am designing a USB bitcoin miner, and i need some help.

First of all, how would i implement an existing protocol over serial? i want to use an existing protocol so i can intergrate it easily with BFGminer, CGminer, etc... I only have serial available on the microcontroller i plan to use. some pseudo-code and/or c code about interfacing would be helpful.

Second of all, what exactly does the chip its self do? does it simply do an SHA256 hash and send it back, or is more going on? again, example code would be helpful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 05:49:55 PM

I only have serial available on the microcontroller i plan to use.
It would be more sensible to match the hardware to the job it needs to do, rather than picking some random controller and trying to get it to fit.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
DaDoctor (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 07:08:13 PM

This is more of a fun excersise than a plan to make a lot of money.

On a seperate thought, i hear the Icarus protocol is serial-based, but i can't find any documentation on it.
Colin Miner

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:27:50 PM

On a seperate thought, i hear the Icarus protocol is serial-based, but i can't find any documentation on it.

Icarus?

None of the current hardware or firmware for the miners is open source, its all secret and protected by the manufacturers which is probably why you can't find any useful information.

You may find something on FPGA in the icarus link (above) and some FPGA mining code to browse.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:30:32 PM

Icarus?

None of the current hardware or firmware for the miners is open source, its all secret and protected by the manufacturers which is probably why you can't find any useful information.

You may find something on FPGA in the icarus link (above).

Oddly enough, BFL open sourced their firware.  Avalon did too IIRC.
Colin Miner

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:37:41 PM

Oddly enough, BFL open sourced their firware.  Avalon did too IIRC.
Thanks, BFL BitForce SC Firmware source code  Cheesy

DaDoctor (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 04:10:26 AM

Thanks for the links. Porting Verilog to c++ is a pain! and the Butterfly labs code seemed to be 99% hashing chip management. I found this: https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=UvSVxC7dy9c . The author seemed determined not to share any code, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: