Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:59:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner - 175MH/s @ $1/MH  (Read 125849 times)
daphreak

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:06:11 PM

What is that program you are running?  Looks neat and cool!

It's called mpbm and it's GPL'd. It's pretty sweet!

-rph

Any way to get a link for this? I've been hacking around with the pyminer v0.0.2 but this looks much more polished

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
uglybuddy6

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 04:58:01 AM

Hey, rph do you think it be possible for a Arduino to do the same as that modified Leaf Maple board (well i assume its a Leaf Maple). If so then the cost could be cut and it could be made much smaller.
rph (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 07:54:34 AM

An Arduino would work as the USB interface/controller but I prefer the ARM Cortex-M3 - it's $2, 48MHz+, 32 bit, and has native USB
leading to a very powerful, compact, low-part-count design.

-rph

Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44891
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:12:40 AM

Hey, rph do you think it be possible for a Arduino to do the same as that modified Leaf Maple board (well i assume its a Leaf Maple). If so then the cost could be cut and it could be made much smaller.

Is the Leaf the controller? Does anyone have more information about this?

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
uglybuddy6

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 05:20:35 AM

An Arduino would work as the USB interface/controller but I prefer the ARM Cortex-M3 - it's $2, 48MHz+, 32 bit, and has native USB

-rph

Is the added power of the ARM Cortex-M3 needed that the Arduino doesn't have?
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:29:14 AM

have you decided to sell these yet?

If you're interested in a 10GH/s+ cluster - that could start to make sense - PM me and we can discuss.
I don't want FPGAs to become too widely available.. I want to compete with 45nm GPUs forever   Grin

-rph

How much it would cost for a 10GH cluster? PM you?

Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:35:36 AM

-rph

Is the added power of the ARM Cortex-M3 needed that the Arduino doesn't have?

I don't think so, I think the fact that it's 2 dollars is the reason he's using it
Geir

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 12:44:20 PM

Verry cool project, are you using seedstudio for your FPGA adapter boards?? Two layer??

TOP Network   Enable real-world business with Blockchain 4.0 technology  |
–––––––   Whitepaper   |   Twitter   |   Facebook   |   Linkedln   |   Telegram   |   Medium  –––––––
|   No Transaction Fee   |   300K TPS   |   50 Million Active Users   |
tinman951

Activity: 149

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:43:53 PM

A side comment, but earlier in the posts it was mentioned that someone was booting off of a SD card.  I was wondering how that would work, or even if it could be used like a cheap ssd.

Free micro bitcoins: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1DFw1VncjVhqdg6GWoQ6Qtc5ncR5RHXxfP
Donate BTC: 18b94MMTWd7bWaUWcq7VHmizgswP2dK6fM
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:46:45 PM

A side comment, but earlier in the posts it was mentioned that someone was booting off of a SD card.  I was wondering how that would work, or even if it could be used like a cheap ssd.

here, let me google that for you. =)

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
tinman951

Activity: 149

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 12:42:22 AM

A side comment, but earlier in the posts it was mentioned that someone was booting off of a SD card.  I was wondering how that would work, or even if it could be used like a cheap ssd.

Thanks. I hadn't actually seen that before.
But I could rephrase my question to how can I actually boot from it and run it.  I can boot from a usb drive, but the sd card slots that I have used were never a bootable option in the BIOS.  Would it just be easier to use the usb drive on the mobo?

Free micro bitcoins: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1DFw1VncjVhqdg6GWoQ6Qtc5ncR5RHXxfP
Donate BTC: 18b94MMTWd7bWaUWcq7VHmizgswP2dK6fM
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 12:46:23 AM

But I could rephrase my question to how can I actually boot from it and run it.  I can boot from a usb drive, but the sd card slots that I have used were never a bootable option in the BIOS.  Would it just be easier to use the usb drive on the mobo?
"SD card slot" (reader) looks like a USB device to the BIOS.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 03:53:14 AM

But I could rephrase my question to how can I actually boot from it and run it.  I can boot from a usb drive, but the sd card slots that I have used were never a bootable option in the BIOS.  Would it just be easier to use the usb drive on the mobo?
"SD card slot" (reader) looks like a USB device to the BIOS.
truth, this man(?) speaks it. The only exception being some of your built in notebook sd slots do not show up in bios as 'native' usb. As long as your pc/netbook has an sd slot that is recognized as usb storage and assuming you format the sd card correctly, it will work.

On Topic; For the love of god, will someone please release some schematics for building low cost fpga mining boards already? Even if you sold them for a few BTC or started a thread and asked for donations. I'd happily pay. And would imagine many more would as well.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:27:09 AM

Schematics were published by ngzhang in his topic about Icarus.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

and you can use them as your own risk under GPL license. Grin
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 01:49:47 PM

and those are very nice, but very expensive design for diy.  Undecided

- GA

chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 06:57:21 PM

Would the OP be selling these eventually?
tf101

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 12:26:17 AM

Hey guys,

I might start a new thread for this, but though I would gage interest here first. I too am very keen on a DIY FPGA mining kit. I have a few designs conceptually done up and am actively working on a "low cost" rig. Currently I am mining on a number of x6500's, and while these are great, I think there is a place in the market for a rig that people can assemble themselves (at their own risk). The basic concept is:

• The design should be compatible with current FPGA Mining software and bitstreams - atleast initially.
  • The FPGA will be mounted on a daughterboard - to allow for upgrades, or if the baseboard supports multiple FPGA's, will allow for incremental adding of them.
  • All components should be mounted on the top side of the board only (less header pins).
  • All components should be capable of being hand soldered. - Less the FPGA to daughterboard - although skillet soldering is an option
  • As many component functions should be put to daughterboards as possible - to allow for component re-use and ease of upgrade (eg the communications could be provided by an USB FTDI to JTAG board, maybe one of the sparkfun boards - or a bus pirate board)
  • Would be interested in having the power regulators as daughterboards as well - I note that the x6500 does have these as daughterboards, but I am unsure if these are COTS or a custom board.
  • I am keen to see as many pins brought forward as possible - from the FPGA - to allow for other uses of the board

If there is keen interest in this - I willing to share the work load and outcomes, if not I will develop alone. If it does work, I would be interested in selling the boards as kits - or even just the PCB's individually (I imagine most of the cost for this will be in the PCB fab, less the FPGA... larger orders = lower cost, all other components should be able to be sort cheep from digikey/mouser/rs). I understand some people might have already started work on something similar - if you have I am keen to here from you, I hate laying out PCB's.....

PM me if your interested in working on this...
pusle

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:53:10 AM

I've been toying with the idea of making as sort of FPGA socket, just using board vias.
By using redundancy for the communication it can tolerate some balls not having proper connection.

For the FGG484 package the balls are 0.6mm +/-0.1mm . Perhaps 0.4mm vias (finished hole) would be best.
A test board with 0.3, 0.35, 0.4 and 0.45mm via "sockets" would be nice and then try some cheap parts having the same package.
The board must have gold surface coating. Don't worry it's not expensive and only applied to open areas in the soldermask.

Then take an aluminium sheet slightly thinner than the FPGA height with squares cut out slightly larger than the FPGA.
This is screwed in place on top of the PCB to take care of the package alignment and provide additional thermal coupling.
Next is one large sheet of thermal heat pad say 3mm thick (compressing to ~1.5mm).
Then a heat sink on top for cooling and to apply pressure, squeezing the FPGA balls down into the vias.

There is of course the question of longevity, but since the current per ball is not that high and using gold plating I think this could work.

ummas

Activity: 274

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 09:21:58 AM

I`m on it
PM send
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: