Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:15:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The worst ever that could happen  (Read 3531 times)
CryptoMiner (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:27:45 PM

One person will be very happy today.
You can say that again!

Didnt they return it?!
Definitely did not. I'm about to send more tiny transactions there not only showing 0.0000911 in there but also make a message.

I just sent 3.2btc to an address that I have no idea who or what it belongs to like an idiot. I am hurting right now man you wont believe. I clicked the "addresses" tab in the bitcoin client and copied the first one in the list thinking those were my receive addresses. Turns out by looking at the blockchain, it was an address I sent two 1btc transactions to all the way back in 2011.

Seems like the only other transactions that took place at that address is 2 transfers out, shortly after receiving on the same day on 8-22-2011, with the exception of the 3.2 hitting today =(

I'm so screwed man. That's more than $2,500. I feel like crying.

Ouch! That was too bad! Try to search who owns the address.
I'm doing my best but could use some help. All the numbers start dancing on the screen, then I start thinking about the money I lost, then I realize I should be working, not on bitcointalk, lol

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoMiner (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:17:43 PM

Figured out how to send a message with a transaction. Check this link...

https://blockchain.info/address/15KUecgaW2x4tDwRWfpnMJxq4RRJ5Z7fQN

Anyone come up with anything?
GAML

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

Hey, you know what guys? Anyone remember instawallet? It's a strong possibility that's where I sent those funds to. I remember fooling around with the service and sending money back and forth. One of the 2 transactions on the only other day I used that wallet address back in 2011 was me sending funds from an instawallet address. It's easy to see since it's labeled as such. Also, when I click that instawallet labeled address, you can see over a quarter million bitcoins were sent into that address in it's entire history.

I'm not that good with researching on the block chain  but I think the address I sent the 3.2btc to is also an instawallet address. I'll look but I don't think I have the addresses saved on this computer (client on work computer) but I will look. More importantly, if anyone is good with block chain research and think they can help me figure this out, I can restore the backup wallet on the computer I am using now and get you that address.

Someone mentioned that I should send a small transaction with a note hoping it would reach someone who owns that wallet. I thought you did that using the "sign message" option under the file menu in the client, but that was wrong. I still ended up sending an additional .000911 to that address, hoping to send an emergency message.

Angry I'm pissed that those funds were swept out today. Can you believe that someone sees 3.2btc magically appear in their account?? Thing is, I cant think of anyone I sent money to back then. Bitcoins were a rare breed still. It was mostly me playing with mtgox and instawallet back then.

Would this help to get a little Satoshi just for the purpose of sending messages to that address? http://freebitco.in/ gives a pay out of between 0.00000225 up to 0.22500000 just for pressing the button once per hour.  At least that way you could send some more messages without losing any more of your own Satoshi.

Cookiecoin

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:12:28 PM

That is just sad to hear :/ I would have tried to find out what wallet that is tho.
jade86

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:23:01 PM

I just sent 3.2btc to an address that I have no idea who or what it belongs to like an idiot. I am hurting right now man you wont believe. I clicked the "addresses" tab in the bitcoin client and copied the first one in the list thinking those were my receive addresses. Turns out by looking at the blockchain, it was an address I sent two 1btc transactions to all the way back in 2011.

Seems like the only other transactions that took place at that address is 2 transfers out, shortly after receiving on the same day on 8-22-2011, with the exception of the 3.2 hitting today =(

sorry for your loss
strong hug
1Neptune

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:47:12 AM

A good practice is to send a test transaction first, such as 0.0001 with a fee of the same. Then check with the person, exchange or to where ever it is that you're sending it that the test transaction went through correctly. If it did, then put a name/description to that address so it will show the next time you want to send coin there, as a double-check that you're sending it to the correct address. If the 0.0001 didn't show up where you expected, then all you're out is 0.0002 and not something like 3.2 or more (hopefully less, much less).

Good luck on getting your coin back.
1Neptune

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:11:22 AM

Great message. Congrats on getting it sent and as a public post so all will see the message. I hope it helps in getting your 3.2 btc returned. Public shame can do wonders. In centuries past the shame of being in the stocks in the public square where your fellow citizens would throw rotten fruit and other such horrible things at you was an effective deterrent to crime or just bad behavior.
satyricon93

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:20:14 AM

HaHa you are an EPIC FAIL!
CryptoMiner (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:05:56 AM

Great message. Congrats on getting it sent and as a public post so all will see the message. I hope it helps in getting your 3.2 btc returned. Public shame can do wonders. In centuries past the shame of being in the stocks in the public square where your fellow citizens would throw rotten fruit and other such horrible things at you was an effective deterrent to crime or just bad behavior.

Are you saying I should feel shamed for admitting I sent a few grand into a black hole? Feel like a dumb ass? Yes Shamed? Absolutely not. I guess I don't possess that high a level of narcissism.
CryptoMiner (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:09:02 AM

For those that actually care, Instawallet/Paymium have confirmed that it is one of their addresses indeed and are working to get my funds back. That would truly be epic. Will update here.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:11:59 AM

For those that actually care, Instawallet/Paymium have confirmed that it is one of their addresses indeed and are working to get my funds back. That would truly be epic. Will update here.

Seems like we finally have a good news Smiley
Hope you can get back your bitcoin soon Smiley
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:05:15 AM

excellent news mate  Smiley

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
CryptoMiner (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:50:57 PM

Thank you for the kind words guys. I really can't believe it but they confirmed it. Although it's my fault for getting into this mess, this would be huge for them. Anyone here remember the disaster that happened with them? Was a while ago and too bad for them, their service kicked ass.
MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:01:01 PM

Thank you for the kind words guys. I really can't believe it but they confirmed it. Although it's my fault for getting into this mess, this would be huge for them. Anyone here remember the disaster that happened with them? Was a while ago and too bad for them, their service kicked ass.

Great news.  For all of the press that exists that tries to demonstrate that the crypto currency world is filled with only thieves and crooks, this shows there are people out there with integrity.  I recall seeing at least one other thread a while back where something similar happened and the funds were returned.  I think that was for a larger amount of BTC too.  I would imagine there are more examples, but these stories just don't make nearly as exiting of a headline...
chocomav

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:47:40 PM

Inspiring story!
1Neptune

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 08:04:26 PM

You got lucky. Glad to hear you'll be getting your coins back.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 08:23:03 AM

Anyone here remember the disaster that happened with them? Was a while ago and too bad for them, their service kicked ass.

You can find the details here.

Another Bitcoin Wallet Service, Instawallet, Suffers Attack, Shuts Down Until Further Notice:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/03/bitcoin-instawallet/
CryptoMiner (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:56:13 PM

Well, I can't get to excited. They told me they put me in rotation to receive my coins back in June, when they make their next payout to the people that lost money. Honestly it does stink, especially since I can see they already received my coins and moved them into another account. All you guys can clearly see that.

Did anyone hear of any reports of anyone getting paid back since that nightmare? (Which BTW I did lose money when they got hacked)
I remember they implemented some kind of claims system. How did that ever work out? Anyone know? Guess I need to start searching here.

Anyways, for the record, Boussac is the one that I reached out to and the one communicating with me. He just told me he reached out to
Davout and I guess that's who will be paying me back in June. Honestly both of them are ripped to shreds in these forums so I would love to have the pleasure saying they gave me back my coins. It would certainly lend to their credibility if they pay a person back when they don't have to as it was my assholishness that made the mistake in the first place.

Well, I can't do anything other than be patient. I will certainly very happy if they come through. Just don't know why I need to wait until June but I'll wait.
BLCAAN

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:58:56 PM

Hahaha, sucks being you dude.
minerfool

Activity: 251

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:03:13 PM

Well, I can't get to excited. They told me they put me in rotation to receive my coins back in June, when they make their next payout to the people that lost money. Honestly it does stink, especially since I can see they already received my coins and moved them into another account. All you guys can clearly see that.

Did anyone hear of any reports of anyone getting paid back since that nightmare? (Which BTW I did lose money when they got hacked)
I remember they implemented some kind of claims system. How did that ever work out? Anyone know? Guess I need to start searching here.

Anyways, for the record, Boussac is the one that I reached out to and the one communicating with me. He just told me he reached out to
Davout and I guess that's who will be paying me back in June. Honestly both of them are ripped to shreds in these forums so I would love to have the pleasure saying they gave me back my coins. It would certainly lend to their credibility if they pay a person back when they don't have to as it was my assholishness that made the mistake in the first place.

Well, I can't do anything other than be patient. I will certainly very happy if they come through. Just don't know why I need to wait until June but I'll wait.

June??  why is that... and if the price skyrockets in the meantime, there will be less incentive to send it back.  Seems they are just trying to let time/distance to forget about the whole issue and keep the coins.

hope you get them back though, that's a lot of BTC

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: