Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:36:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: **** Official Ethereum QA thread ****  (Read 34474 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 05:57:08 PM

Before the Accredited Investor issue comes in to play, there has to be a determination if they are considered securities.  If they aren't securities then it's irrelevant.

Seems like you're on to something  Grin

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 11:11:45 PM

I have an ethical question which I do not want to post in public - who do I contact with this issue?
Alty

Activity: 714

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 11:25:04 PM

If I invest 100 btc what could I expect?
Azuos

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:53:45 AM

So if I invest 1 BTC and get my 2,000 or so Ether, what happens when people start mining?  Is some dude with a jacked up rig going to be able to mine 10,000,000 Ether in the first couple hours?  How is this being handled so that my investment is actually worth something?
Ursium (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:48:28 AM

If I invest 100 btc what could I expect?

Well just like any other project, we will be detailing potential ROI models in the document that we will release when announcing the Ether pre-sale event. At the moment I cannot answer this question.

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:49:52 AM

I have an ethical question which I do not want to post in public - who do I contact with this issue?

PM sent

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:52:58 AM

@bitcoin_watcher compiled all 357 comments from the AMA and categorized them here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1xb5rj/hi_were_the_ethereum_founding_team_ask_us_anything/cf9zuek

NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:30:47 AM

From : http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1xb5rj/hi_were_the_ethereum_founding_team_ask_us_anything/

Question : "What is the most common misconception/myth about the ethereum project that you've seen so far?"

Quote from: 'Vitalik'
1. Ethereum is not your personal decentralized Amazon EC2 instance. You will not be able to run anything on top of Ethereum that you cannot run on a smartphone from 1999.
2. The inflation rate is 0.4x the amount released in the presale per year, not 40% per year. That is, we'll have 1.5x after 0 years, 1.9x after 1 year, 2.3x after 2 years ... 401.5x after 1000 years, 401.9x after 1001 years, etc.
3. We are not affiliated with Goldman Sachs, or any other particularly nefarious organization. We just have 2 members on our team (not the core team) who used to work for GS. Ethereum is 100% certified NWO-free (although I suppose once the pre-sale starts NWO will be free to buy in just like everyone else).

I thought that was the case. So can you explain basically what is the purpose of Ethereum?

I'm glad I have the same right as others Smiley
majik

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 03:01:12 PM

What is your long term vision for Ethereum? What do you want it to accomplish for the future? I hope you express that clearly in a mission statement.  What steps are you taking not to create a new class of super wealthy but rather, to empower everyone? I think ethereum is great and you are doing amazing work.  It helps to articulate your mission and your direction clearly so everything you build is in line with that mission.
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 03:44:07 PM

What is your long term vision for Ethereum? What do you want it to accomplish for the future? I hope you express that clearly in a mission statement.  What steps are you taking not to create a new class of super wealthy but rather, to empower everyone? I think ethereum is great and you are doing amazing work.  It helps to articulate your mission and your direction clearly so everything you build is in line with that mission.

I'm working on the website copy to answer just that Smiley I'll post a link as soon as it's up.

freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:09:05 PM

With ethereum envisioned to become a generic platform with a specific new code to be used for various decentralized applications, DAx's ets., what is really the meaning for it as a currency? will it force all transactions to be in eth? if so than it is not as generic anymore. If it is the "TCPIP" protocol to a currency than I should be able to use BTC based or NXT based currency on it no? please clarify the conceptual vision here. if it is a generic base platform than why is it also a currency? Thanks   
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 02:06:57 AM

With ethereum envisioned to become a generic platform with a specific new code to be used for various decentralized applications, DAx's ets., what is really the meaning for it as a currency? will it force all transactions to be in eth? if so than it is not as generic anymore. If it is the "TCPIP" protocol to a currency than I should be able to use BTC based or NXT based currency on it no? please clarify the conceptual vision here. if it is a generic base platform than why is it also a currency? Thanks   

Ether = Oil

Although properties of Ether can enable it as a currency, we see it also as a fuel, powering the contracts which themselves could represent currencies.
This can be done through the implementation of meta-coins on our block chain (a trivial few lines of code), which in turn can be traded and used as currencies.

As for what 'fuels' contracts, yes it would be Ether, although we are considering some very interesting options of 'coloring' Ether, for example for having folded proteins. 'Colored' Ether could therefore be used on special contracts to reward users having completed certain actions.

JakeThePanda

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:11:00 PM

Before the Accredited Investor issue comes in to play, there has to be a determination if they are considered securities.  If they aren't securities then it's irrelevant.

Well, I never understood why this community continuously refers to these offerings as IPOs and investments.  It's an incorrect term for these purposes and it will only serve to get us in trouble.  I think each individual crypto coin could be considered a commodity if anything, but they don't trade on a centralized commodity exchange and the CFTC hasn't issued a ruling yet.  As long as it's clear that you aren't offering an investment with the possibility income, then I don't think they will be considered securities.  Could the price rise in the open market?  Sure, but so can the price of milk.  It's a product you are offering, not an investment opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 05:37:35 PM

Well, I never understood why this community continuously refers to these offerings as IPOs and investments.  It's an incorrect term for these purposes and it will only serve to get us in trouble.  I think each individual crypto coin could be considered a commodity if anything, but they don't trade on a centralized commodity exchange and the CFTC hasn't issued a ruling yet.  As long as it's clear that you aren't offering an investment with the possibility income, then I don't think they will be considered securities.  Could the price rise in the open market?  Sure, but so can the price of milk.  It's a product you are offering, not an investment opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly.

Tulpa

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:53:14 PM

Sorry for my English.

I saw some launches of CPU coins and it seems that after 2-3 hours after launch botnets are starting to mine this coins. No matter of code etc.

It seems that Eth can be target of such networks too.
512 MB per thread is not too much  when I can usually see that my Firefox is eating 2GB easily. So 4core CPU can be used without much trouble to user.

Will be our GPUs usable or not?

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 11:09:12 PM

Check out our latest hire: http://www.ethereum.org/#who

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
majik

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:28:01 AM

Check out our latest hire: http://www.ethereum.org/#who

+1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Koblitz
majik

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:35:14 AM

Will ethereum accounts be secure from day 1? to reassure early investors.  two-factor authentication?
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 03:25:58 AM

Will ethereum accounts be secure from day 1? to reassure early investors.  two-factor authentication?

Can you define what you mean by 'account' Majik? If you mean online wallets, their security implementation (and therefore support for 2fa) will be the responsibility of the people building them.

As for the reference (mobile and desktop) wallets, they will function in a way that's similar to say, BitcoinQT or <insert name of your favorite wallet here>.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 03:01:12 PM

The Ethereum reference wallet will be far more secure than QT from day 1 (launch of mining). We will have it pen tested thoroughly and even take it to DEFCON next year with a big treasure pot (you hack it; you own it). On a personal note, Bitcoin theft or loss really makes me sad and also I believe is a significant roadblock for mainstream adoption. Mainstream consumers need better security and more tools to protect themselves from themselves. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: