Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:13:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: **** Official Ethereum QA thread ****  (Read 34474 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Ursium (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 05:44:33 PM

Can a decentralized exchange be properly explained to me please? In as much detail as possible, how it works, benefits over regular exchanges, drawbacks, potential weaknesses, how money (say, USD) will be transfered to it (where would that money go?), etc..
The only difference i know is that it is....well, decentralized. I need more detail (I'm not that tech savvy).

I made a post on ethereum forums...got no answer
I contacted you, Ursium via reddit....no answer

Thanks

You posted these questions hours before posting here saying you didn't get an answer hehe
I'm aware of several team working on decentralized exchanges - start here: http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/382/p2p-fiat-bitcoin-exchange/p1

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 05:45:34 PM

How do I make money with Ethereum?

Same way you make money with say, Java or C++.
Build a startup, write a program, write a book, etc.
You can also purchase Ether at Exchanges when it comes out, or mine etc.

Ethereum Twitter: @ethereumproject - Blog: blog.ethereum.org - Forum: forum.ethereum.org - Github: github.com/ethereum
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 05:47:14 PM

how HFT works is...

good sir, may I ask as to how to subscribe to your newsletter?

go to www.ethereum.org - we have a newsletter signup form Smiley

Cheers!

wktian

Activity: 44
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:54:19 PM

When will the mining start?
koby

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:32:36 PM

How do I make money with Ethereum?

Same way you make money with say, Java or C++.
Build a startup, write a program, write a book, etc.
You can also purchase Ether at Exchanges when it comes out, or mine etc.

When Do you think will We be able to buy  Ether coin?
benjyz

Activity: 140
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:47:05 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 08:58:29 PM by benjyz

where can I learn more about all this? Reference sites would be appreciated.

it's a bit like hacking - a lot of is private knowledge and public information is usually inaccurate / unimportant. best bet is http://www.nuclearphynance.com . the boom in the HFT world is mostly over though. the social utility of HFT is remarkably similar to miners. it is conceivable that cryptoexchanges can outpace other exchanges, but not over the internet.
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 03:26:29 AM

When will the mining start?

If you mean the mainnet mining, it will start when the project is launched live, Q4 of this year.

Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 03:27:12 AM

We haven't announced anything yet, but we are looking an Ether pre-sale likely to take place during March.

CLains

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:57:42 PM

We haven't announced anything yet, but we are looking an Ether pre-sale likely to take place during March.

How many days/weeks of notice will you give for the pre-sale?
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 10:49:05 PM

How many days/weeks of notice will you give for the pre-sale?

Good question, for which I do not have an answer unfortunately Sad
I know however that whatever reward level exists for 'early birds' will last for at least 7 days.

ALBORCA

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 11:06:12 PM

Is this a coin and can we buy it !?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 11:43:23 PM

Is this a coin and can we buy it !?

It's both a programing language and a decentralized distribution platform that borrows from the bitcoin concept of distributed consensus, and applies to contracts.

It has an internal 'fuel' called ether which can be traded (that would be your 'coin'), in order to prevent people from running infinite loops and so on.

As to when you can buy it, we haven't announced anything yet, but likely during the course of March.

Cheers!

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:37:51 AM

What is Ethereum?

just kidding Smiley

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:08:45 AM

HFT is impossible.

Sounds like a positive
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:40:09 AM

If you want some REAL investors, I have the Glangarry leads. But first you must outsell Mastercoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 07:21:00 PM

What is Ethereum?

just kidding Smiley

Smiley

ciscokid

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:09:47 AM

Can we please get a reply to this prior to the IPO.

"So if I invest 1 BTC and get my 2,000 or so Ether, what happens when people start mining?  Is some dude with a jacked up rig going to be able to mine 10,000,000 Ether in the first couple hours?  How is this being handled so that my investment is actually worth something?"
Ursium (OP)

Ethereum

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 03:02:49 PM

Can we please get a reply to this prior to the IPO.

"So if I invest 1 BTC and get my 2,000 or so Ether, what happens when people start mining?  Is some dude with a jacked up rig going to be able to mine 10,000,000 Ether in the first couple hours?  How is this being handled so that my investment is actually worth something?"

#1 - we haven't announced the structure of the Ether sale yet
#2 - that's not how mining works, thankfully Smiley Just like Bitcoin, inflation comes from mining. The amount that can be mined is controlled by the network, and corresponds to a fixed percentage of what was raised in the ether sale. This is mean inflation is rapidly decreasing year on year, eventually tending to 0.

ciscokid

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:23:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So what will be the " fixed percentage of what was raised in the ether sale." ?  An estimate is fine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what would be the better way to go, build a mining rig, or invest in the IPO the same amount that I would spend on the rig.

scotjam

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:59:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So what will be the " fixed percentage of what was raised in the ether sale." ?  An estimate is fine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what would be the better way to go, build a mining rig, or invest in the IPO the same amount that I would spend on the rig.

I'm guessing the algorithm used is very important to inform that decision, and IIRC they're hosting an AES-style competition to select it
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: