Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:38:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Soon only sharks will mine ...  (Read 1819 times)
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 02:21:47 AM

The only good way to start mining is invest 10.000$ - 15.000$ minimum.

The amount you invest should not matter.  If investing $2000 is not a good investment, how is investing $10,000 make that investment any better?
The risk is the same, regardless how much you invest.

IN your eyes, with the exception of just buying BTC, what is a good investment otherwise?  I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the typical ROI is considered good if it can exceed 20% per annum.

af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 03:23:58 AM

The only good way to start mining is invest 10.000$ - 15.000$ minimum.

The amount you invest should not matter.  If investing $2000 is not a good investment, how is investing $10,000 make that investment any better?
The risk is the same, regardless how much you invest.

IN your eyes, with the exception of just buying BTC, what is a good investment otherwise?  I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the typical ROI is considered good if it can exceed 20% per annum.

Gold is near production costs, but it is not an investment.  More like a storage of value.
Look at utilities stocks, some can pay 5%.  Private mortgages can pay 5-7%, depending on the risk.

Mining hardware is not a good investment for two reasons (among others):

1. Extremely fast depreciation in assets and profit
2. Market is filled with uninformed participants who bid up h/w prices to astronomical levels

Buying hardware today is like buying tech stocks first week of March 2000.

Buying BTC directly is risky, but it is probably less risky then buying mining hardware.  You are buying a limited resource that (hopefully) will not depreciate 20-30% every two weeks.
Versus buying mining hardware that is virtually unlimited resource that depreciates 20%+ every two weeks.

EDIT: ask HF BabyJet customers how they feel about spending 50-60 BTCs for each HF box.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:58:17 AM

If difficulty keeps increasing, people with less efficient hardware will eventually quit mining, and then difficulty will adjust itself...

The remaining miners should be having the most efficient hardware, but they may not be all sharks or whales....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: