Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:59:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 and more GPU on Non-Mining Motherboard  (Read 212 times)
sakmsb (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 02:46:17 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2018, 04:58:04 PM by sakmsb

Hey All,

Wanted to know if someone has tried installing 6 GPUs or more on a Non-Mining MB. I currently have MSI 990A-G43 MB https://www.techpowerup.com/img/13-01-25/251b.jpg

I have connected 4 GPUs to it now and before I order more GPUs wanted to know if it can run 6 and using the PCIE 1 to 4 Port Slot Multiplier HUB Riser Card is it feasible to go beyond 6 GPUs.

Thanks!
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 03:51:06 PM

I've been using it for a week for knowing to performance between use Multiplier HUB Riser or splitter without the use them and the result better doesn't use them because of when I use them, I have a few analyze:
-The Hashrate often dropping
-The Power from PSUs to those (Splitter/Multiplier) not maximal often loose maybe it's can be affect hashrate often dropped.

sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 05:29:45 PM

Thanks but my specific question is if I'd be able to run 6 GPUs or more on a Non-Mining mother board.
markiz73

Activity: 1190
Merit: 641

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 05:33:16 PM

I will say my opinion.
Any adapter complicates the system and reduces its reliability.
Chinese adapters have a lot of marriage. A consequence may be the burnout of the video card or MB connectors.
I have long been in a mining, I communicate with people who have 100-1000 video cards. Everyone prefers to take a ready-made verified solution.
Solve yourself.
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:14:06 AM

I will say my opinion.
Chinese adapters have a lot of marriage. A consequence may be the burnout of the video card or MB connectors.
I have long been in a mining, I communicate with people who have 100-1000 video cards. Everyone prefers to take a ready-made verified solution.
Solve yourself.

By "ready-made verified solution", you meant to go with Mining specific Motherboard right?
Weswayahe

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:49:15 AM

You can use additional expansion card usb 1 to 4, but that does not guarantee the durability of your gpu. Lots of cases that states gpu failure or usb burn. My suggestion just buy motherboard mining which has a lot pcie.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 06:04:27 AM

You can use additional expansion card usb 1 to 4, but that does not guarantee the durability of your gpu. Lots of cases that states gpu failure or usb burn. My suggestion just buy motherboard mining which has a lot pcie.

The problem with the usb-based PCIE expansion cards is that they are not plug-and-play compatible and are actually limited by your motherboards design. You may find yourself buying one and going home only to find out that it doesn't work for your motherboard.

The best solution, like what others have said, is to buy an already multi-GPU capable mining motherboard.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
sakmsb (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:07:14 AM

Alright thanks for inputs all...
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:16:21 AM

The problem with the usb-based PCIE expansion cards is that they are not plug-and-play compatible and are actually limited by your motherboards design. You may find yourself buying one and going home only to find out that it doesn't work for your motherboard.

The best solution, like what others have said, is to buy an already multi-GPU capable mining motherboard.

Basically your motherboard is kind of rare to most miners and nobody in the past has tried an PCIe expansion with it.

You should always google if those expansion slots will work with your motherboard or not. Sometimes they are not worth it because instead of 3 extra slots they only give you 1 extra slot.

If you go on Craigslists you can probably find a bunch of cheap 5 or 6 PCIe slot motherboards which gamers used back in 2013-2014 or so. They are generally very cheap and they will run on a $5 Sempron single core processor.
markiz73

Activity: 1190
Merit: 641

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:59:51 PM

I will say my opinion.
Solve yourself.

By "ready-made verified solution", you meant to go with Mining specific Motherboard right?
No. Now I'll try to explain.
There are a huge number of motherboards that are sold on the market for years and have long been used in mining. For example, H81 Pro BTC, H81 Pro BTC R2.0.
Personally, I think that there should not be more than 6 video cards in the farm (I do not think this is the only right opinion, but my 3 years of experience has shown that this is correct).
Miners usually disperse video cards, and not all work perfectly in this mode. The farm will constantly hang up, the wachdog will constantly reboot the system. After a while we will get broken computer parts. It is very difficult to find a bad video card when there are 8 or more video cards on the farm( there can be several of them Smiley  )

I'm using the GA-970A-DS3P. Everything works in stock mode, you do not need to make any adjustments in the BIOS. 5 video cards are detected without problems.
The processor for it costs 5-6 dollars (AMD x2 240-x2 250). This MB is sold in stores in my city and it is given a 3-year warranty. Also it is very in demand in the secondary market. For incomplete 3 years, not one has not broken out of 20 Motherboard and colleagues have been working for 4 years.
This is what I call a ready-made verified solution.

But most people do not want peace of mind, so they constantly invent a bicycle.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: