Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:52:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I got .05BTC robbed from me!  (Read 1128 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:45:44 PM

...from ebay.  I did not pay attention to all of the warning signs, and quite frankly I deserved what I got. It was literally the first time I sold a bitcoin on ebay, and I decided to test the water with .05BTC, which I sold for $69.00.

The winning bidder had 100% positives and over 300 reviews, some showing that they purchased bitcoin before. Maybe I'm a little naive, or a little too trustworthy, but they paid immediately and I immediately send the .05 bitcoin.

The next day, I found out that the account was a hijacked account, and the listing was cancelled and paypal refunded the person the money.

Anyways, I am taking it like a man, and I am not even bothering to file a claim with Paypal because I know they won't do anything. I guess I'm just a nice guy, and I learned a lesson. My wife was very skeptical, but she was happy for me that I turned .05 BTC into .08 BTC. I don't even want to tell. Her about the fraud, because all she'll do is say "told you so!"

Thankfully I only lost .05 BTC, and not more. No more selling BTC on ebay for me, it isn't worth it. If I'm going to use ebay to increase my BTC, I'll sell items for USD, and then convert the USD to Bitcoin.

Have a good day everyone!
rajko00

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:07:16 PM

thank you for warning

NEM COIN - FUTURE IS HERE
johnngbluntzky

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:33:49 PM

...from ebay.  I did not pay attention to all of the warning signs, and quite frankly I deserved what I got. It was literally the first time I sold a bitcoin on ebay, and I decided to test the water with .05BTC, which I sold for $69.00.

The winning bidder had 100% positives and over 300 reviews, some showing that they purchased bitcoin before. Maybe I'm a little naive, or a little too trustworthy, but they paid immediately and I immediately send the .05 bitcoin.

The next day, I found out that the account was a hijacked account, and the listing was cancelled and paypal refunded the person the money.

Anyways, I am taking it like a man, and I am not even bothering to file a claim with Paypal because I know they won't do anything. I guess I'm just a nice guy, and I learned a lesson. My wife was very skeptical, but she was happy for me that I turned .05 BTC into .08 BTC. I don't even want to tell. Her about the fraud, because all she'll do is say "told you so!"

Thankfully I only lost .05 BTC, and not more. No more selling BTC on ebay for me, it isn't worth it. If I'm going to use ebay to increase my BTC, I'll sell items for USD, and then convert the USD to Bitcoin.

haha that sucks, sorry to hear it. #1 rule in crypto.. ESPECIALLY if you are new, don't trust anyone. reputable exchanges and trusted escrows from the community only. best of luck to you, many have made it a hobby and a little bit of extra money on the side via trading in the alt-coin markets.

DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:57:09 PM

Yes, I'm dabbling. I bought 3.8 million Fedora coin when it was at .00000048. Still waiting for it to go up so I can dump those worthless POS!
ClessMeister

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:14:16 PM

...from ebay.  I did not pay attention to all of the warning signs, and quite frankly I deserved what I got. It was literally the first time I sold a bitcoin on ebay, and I decided to test the water with .05BTC, which I sold for $69.00.

That is very sad that there is way too much frauds in the "markets" either you buy from Ebay or Amazon. As earlier reply said do not trust on those "way too good" sales because almost 100% sure there is something buried beneath the deal.

Good luck on your future mining hobby and sorry for your loss.

Cheers.  Cool
tompa555

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:57:06 PM

So sorry for that thing happened to you. Buying or selling digital good on e-by is tricky thing. Specially wit BitCoin and other alt coins where you have no guaranty for refund transaction. Once you sent coins there is no way to retrieve it back except that person send it to you.
For last few days i thinking buying doge coins from eBay but now when i read your story i think i will pass it.
Thx for warning and good luck Wink

♔ PrimeDice.com | The Best Way To Roll ! | Free BTC Faucet | Instant Play & Chat  [Thread] @PrimeDice
Donations are more than welcome: BTC: 19KKRcKJsFVTCzspXvhTYULrAecB7cvJDy DODGE: DP4etPsqasN1y8pkbh8HNiococh7izgEQy
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:41:09 AM

It is also possible that the owner "claimed" to be hacked, and scammed your bitcoin.  Wink
Smileyftw

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:08:14 AM

I told you so ! Grin
People should avoid Ebay or Paypal anyway it's nice to take it as a man DrBitcoin
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:17:56 PM

Thanks.  My (financial) philosophy in life, is don't harp on what you've lost, or bad decisions you've made...counter it by finding ways to make more.

I didn't even file with Paypal...my time is more valuable than that.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:31:36 PM

Thanks.  My (financial) philosophy in life, is don't harp on what you've lost, or bad decisions you've made...counter it by finding ways to make more.

I didn't even file with Paypal...my time is more valuable than that.

That is the right attitude.
Just learn the lesson, and never make the same mistake again.  Cheesy
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:59:52 PM

If you're going to seel BTC on ebay sell them on paper wallets and get tracking info to say it was delivered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: